MVM
join:2002-07-23
Norman, OK

SoonerAl to joepwpb

MVM

to joepwpb

Re: [Info] Microsoft Store Online: Windows 8

said by joepwpb:

I discovered conflicting statements regarding Upgrading. The first page »www.microsoftstore.com/s ··· Pro#tab3

States:

Upgrading to Windows 8
If your PC is running Windows 7 Home Basic or Home Premium, your files, programs and settings will easily transfer to Windows 8. If your PC is running Windows 7 Professional or Ultimate, Windows XP or Windows Vista, you will need to reinstall your programs. Some features such as touch may require a new PC.

The second page »windows.microsoft.com/en ··· PP_Light

States:

UPGRADING IS EASY
If your PC is running Windows 7, your files, apps, and settings will easily transfer to Windows 8 Pro. If your PC is running Windows XP or Windows Vista, you will need to reinstall your apps. Some features such as touch may require a new PC. Check out our great lineup of new PCs, many of them are touch.

Transferring settings, apps, and files

»windows.microsoft.com/en ··· ection_4

So, does anyone know for sure which is accurate?

Joe P

FWIW I recently upgraded from Windows 7 Ultimate to Windows 8 Pro on my HP G60 laptop and did not have any issues with previously installed programs not running afterwards...

The issue I had was booting and Windows 8 thinking I still had a second monitor connected even though it was not. As a result the main screen was black and I had to reconnect the second monitor in order to get to the login and change the display settings. Interestingly this happened about three days after the initial upgrade and not right away...

Beyond that I am getting to like Windows 8 although I will look at using Start8 to boot straight into the desktop since my wife uses this machine when we travel. Thanks to patt2K for the tip...
SoonerAl

SoonerAl

MVM

Click for full size
Start8 configuration screens
Click for full size
Root desktop
said by SoonerAl:

Beyond that I am getting to like Windows 8 although I will look at using Start8 to boot straight into the desktop since my wife uses this machine when we travel. Thanks to patt2K for the tip...

Just installed Start8...

So far it seems to work as advertised. See the screen shots for my Root (admin account) user. I am booting straight into the desktop.

Booting to the desktop also works as advertised for my account, ie. non-admin standard user...

Thanks to patt2K for the tip...