how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

nitzguy
Premium
join:2002-07-11
Sudbury, ON

[Serious] The TCH is not contiguous currently.

»www.globalnews.ca/state+of+emerg···ory.html

...Highway 17 just north of the picturesque city with the big goose is closed both ways....its been washed out.

If there is a time for a national roads strategy, it is now.
Who knows how long its going to take to rebuild this road and the associated costs.

Here's another photo of the washed out highway....what I don't get is how the vehicle at the bottom looks perfect....I wonder how it got there:

»www.sootoday.com/content/news/de···?c=49008

Please send your thoughts and prayers to those in the community...as right now some are isolated and stranded with nowhere to go. Emergency crews are working on getting people out, but I'm sure it'll be a tough go.

Gone
Premium
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON
kudos:4
Highway 11 is part of the TCH, so it is still contiguous.

The only true choke point on the TCH where there's only one singular routing west of the Maritimes is between Thunder Bay and Nipigon.

nitzguy
Premium
join:2002-07-11
Sudbury, ON
said by Gone:

Highway 11 is part of the TCH, so it is still contiguous.

The only true choke point on the TCH where there's only one singular routing west of the Maritimes is between Thunder Bay and Nipigon.

Oh yah? I thought it was 17 only up through there...I guess they are both designated....my bad. Still bad though...a lot of trucks go through that area as I believe its a shorter route to get down south?....looks like not much by google maps, but 70km is 70km...

Still bad that this has occured...

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in
kudos:2
17 is "faster' then 11, but they both take you up to Tbay.

I have family up there and have take both routes.

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON
11 and 11/101 is preferred by truckers as there's less hills to deal with, even though it may be physically longer to drive. 17 is more of a tourist route.

Thane_Bitter
Inquire within
Premium
join:2005-01-20
Reviews:
·Bell Sympatico
reply to nitzguy
Closed? there is no highway at that point, its non-existent and in several places it appears.

I was going to say they (the cars) might have drove in (drivers can be quite dumb at times), however with the sign in the background its seems those are (now "used") new cars lined up at the dealership. The ground probably just slumped away gradually as the edge of the washed out area grew and little by little the cars just fell in. In a few hours that ugly giant SUV will be resting at the bottom along with the rest.

The ground looks very sandy with gravel, I wonder if this spot of the road was built up years ago during construction over a wet area. With enough flow it would be easily pushed out or flushed away, however here the ground is super saturated with water, it slumps away and flows downhill.

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC
kudos:23
reply to nitzguy
Highways shut down? Heck, they do that all the time in Montreal. Most nights they close down the main east/west highway running through the city. Probably in a vain attempt to keep it from falling over.
--
Developer: Tomato/MLPPP, Linux/MLPPP, etc »fixppp.org

Markie
Still Living Free

join:2009-07-11
Canada
reply to nitzguy
17 is a roller coaster, best ridden when fresh and fully caffeinated.

To the OPs point, twinning the TCH is long overdue.
--
»libertarian.on.ca/

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON
said by Markie:

To the OPs point, twinning the TCH is long overdue.

They're twinning outward from certain points - From the Manitoba border to Kenora, on either side of and through Thunder Bay, on either side of and around Sault-Ste-Marie, on either side of Sudbury, on either side of North Bay and from Arnprior westward, but it will take decades before all of those twinning portions ever met up to form one single continuous twinned highway.

Robrr

join:2008-04-19
Guelph, ON
reply to Gone
Every trucker I know prefers Hwy 17 over Hwy 11 most any day because the road actually involves you driving and not just watching miles and miles of trees and rock.

That being said, they will take Hwy 11 when the load they are carrying warrants it ie. 140,000 lbs of steel bound for Thunder Bay.

shaner
Premium
join:2000-10-04
Calgary, AB
reply to nitzguy
said by nitzguy:

»www.globalnews.ca/state+of+emerg···ory.html

...Highway 17 just north of the picturesque city with the big goose is closed both ways....its been washed out.

If there is a time for a national roads strategy, it is now.
Who knows how long its going to take to rebuild this road and the associated costs.

This happens all the time out here. 2 years ago, the TCH heading into Medicine Hat was washed out adding 300 km's to the trip between Swift Current and Medicine Hat for weeks.
»www.montrealgazette.com/news/can···ory.html

Not to mention the numerous times during every single winter the TCH is closed for hours, sometimes days at a time due to avalanches in the Rogers Pass.
--
I'm a man, but I can change. If I have to. I guess.

»shaner38.blogspot.com/

milnoc

join:2001-03-05
H3B
reply to nitzguy
The TCH is not a purposely built dedicated road spanning the nation; it's a combination of existing roads joined with new roads built to create the contiguous link.

In many areas, such as North of the Great Lakes more than one road is assigned the TCH designation to ensure there's always at least two navigable link between various points. If one link goes down, the other link maintains the traffic flow across the nation.

And while the 11 is a nice, straight and flat road, it's also an extremely BOOOOOOOORING road to travel on! It's like driving across the Prairies!
--
Watch my future television channel's public test broadcast!
»thecanadianpublic.com/live

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON
said by milnoc:

In many areas, such as North of the Great Lakes more than one road is assigned the TCH designation to ensure there's always at least two navigable link between various points. If one link goes down, the other link maintains the traffic flow across the nation.

It like this in all areas west of the Maritimes, at least two highways... except between Nipigon and Thunder Bay.

milnoc

H3B
And that stretch has the huge Terry Fox memorial just North of Thunder Bay.

milnoc

H3B
reply to nitzguy
The owners of the Northern Lights Motel have posted images of their partially washed out lodgings.

»www.nlmotel.com/flood.htm

I'm amazed they're still in pretty decent spirits. And it's a shame too. The rooms seem to have been pretty nice.

No guests were harmed since the place was closed for the season. But they did see a couple of cars drive into the ditch on the night of the TCH collapse. The rain was pretty dense.
--
Watch my future television channel's public test broadcast!
»thecanadianpublic.com/live