spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Lorikr65

@cox.net

[hard drive] Computer and streaming Netflix

I am looking for a computer that will stream Netflix. I don't need the top of the line, but what is the minimum I should be looking for (processor, GB, etc)? Thanks - Lori

JoelC707
Premium
join:2002-07-09
Lanett, AL
kudos:5

Netflix uses Silverlight which has certain minimum system requirements as seen here: »www.microsoft.com/getsilverlight···ult.aspx (go to the system requirements tab).

Netflix has a system requirements section but all I seem to get is a blank page. I did find this: »www.avsforum.com/t/1292060/what-···tflix-hd

In short, most any recent CPU from AMD or Intel will play Netflix HD just fine. If you get a CPU with an embedded GPU (from Intel or AMD) it should help offload some of the heavy lifting required to do HD video or you can add in a GPU if you plan to do any decent gaming at some point.

Mister_E

join:2004-04-02
Etobicoke, ON
Reviews:
·Bell Sympatico

1 recommendation

reply to Lorikr65

Also, depends on your requirements..

If you want to watch on a TV, gaming consoles have a Netflix app that can be used if you have a console.

Optionally, there are a variety of affordable simple media players available that can play Netflix as well as a variety of other services or personal files. Western Digital makes a few - I personally like the Live TV Hub which includes a 1TB HDD. Of course, there are others as well (Roku, Popcorn Hour, Pivos, Uebo, etc.).

aurgathor

join:2002-12-01
Lynnwood, WA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
reply to Lorikr65

One hard requirement for Netflix on a PC is Windows XP or better -- so anything that could run XP reasonably well should allow you to stream Netflix. For a little while I had it on a 1.5 GHz or so AMD equipped PC, and I think CPU usage was around 50%, so I'd say the minimum would be around any P4 with 512 meg of memory, though a HT P4 with 2 Gig or more would be better. If you want to stream full screen HD content, I'd say 2.8 GHz P4 with at least 1 gig of memory and a halfway decent video card.
--
Wacky Races 2012!

n_w95482
Premium
join:2005-08-03
Ukiah, CA

I've noticed on XP that Netflix video syncs quite poorly to the monitor's refresh, resulting in tearing. My former roommate's PC did this and it annoyed him to no end (PC was running a C2D E8400 @ 3 GHz, and a 9800 GTX). My HTPC had no such issue (AMD A8-3870K APU, onboard video, Win7 x64). We were running the same version of Silverlight, and it indicated GPU acceleration on both. Changing graphics drivers on his PC didn't help. Once we put Win7 on it, the problem went away.

Has anyone else noticed that or is it just me?
--
KI6RIT

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
kudos:4

I had thought that GPU acceleration wasn't supported in Windows XP?
--
♬ Music is life ♬

n_w95482
Premium
join:2005-08-03
Ukiah, CA

I could have sworn that it said it was working when I pulled up the stats, but maybe it was incorrect. CPU usage on it was low though.
--
KI6RIT

aurgathor

join:2002-12-01
Lynnwood, WA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
reply to darcilicious

I don't have an XP machine here, but I can say with better than 99% certainty that usually there's a slider in XP somewhere where the amount of GPU acceleration can be set. I think it was there even in W2K.
--
Wacky Races 2012!

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
kudos:4

Well that's good to know!