Mele20
Premium Member
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

Mele20 to goalieskates

Premium Member

to goalieskates

Re: Some Guy Bought the Data of 1.1 Million Facebook Users

Where does that writer live? You can't buy even a SIX INCH Subway for $5 much less a foot long one!

But I agree, who cares? Facebook users believe in living in completely glass houses and having zero privacy at all times and for all things. So, how is this news?

Steve
I know your IP address

join:2001-03-10
Tustin, CA

2 recommendations

Steve

said by Mele20:

You can't buy even a SIX INCH Subway for $5 much less a foot long one!

Perhaps living in paradise insulates you from the Hell that the rest of us suffer through, but Subway does have a $5 footlong menu. I regularly get the black forest ham on footlong honey oat. Five bucks.

But I agree, who cares? Facebook users believe in living in completely glass houses and having zero privacy at all times and for all things. So, how is this news?

This data apparently came from apps (not Facebook itself) that users all volunteered for, and shows the danger of signing up for a Facebook app unless you really know about it.

One of the very reasons for success of Facebook was its early promotion of an API that allowed for third-party access, which opened the platform up to many apps that people apparently care about (I'm unable to say "Farmville" without throwing up in my mouth a little bit). I never really "got it" about this, but the world has decided that this was A Big Deal. MySpace didn't go this route, which in part explains why they're an also-ran.

There are contracts in place that limit what applications can do with the data they collect, but seeing the enormous proliferation of every kind of funky and useless app, it should be hard to believe that anybody is seriously policing this. Some apps provide a real value for the users, but others are clearly bogus.

How many of you have seen those invitations to see how many people have visited your profile, or how many have unfriended you, or the like? Those are all third-party Facebook APPS, and every time you have agreed to give those apps access to your information, you have given permission for some guy in Bulgaria to have your information.

Why would you do that?

In defense of Facebook, apps are not given permission to access your data without a clear and obvious dialog of consent, and the smart people Just Say No.

I have allowed only one trusted app. Others, I don't know about.

Blackbird
Built for Speed
Premium Member
join:2005-01-14
Fort Wayne, IN

Blackbird to Mele20

Premium Member

to Mele20
said by Mele20:

Where does that writer live? ...

Just about anywhere in CONUS. I just had one today, as a matter of fact. With tax, a foot-long costs $5.40 here. So the moral is that paradise may be cool, but it's pricey.

What I can't figure is why only $5 for all the data? That's FB names, user ID's and e-mail addresses applying to over 2000 names for 1 cent! The 'market' must anticipate prospects of a really low return-on-investment for that type of information.

MarkAW
Barry White
Premium Member
join:2001-08-27
Canada

MarkAW to Mele20

Premium Member

to Mele20
said by Mele20:

Where does that writer live? You can't buy even a SIX INCH Subway for $5 much less a foot long one!

Doesn't matter where the writer lives Subway $5 footlongs can be bought at any if not all Subway.

Any way to stay on topic, good thing Facebook is blocked on my network at home and no one in my house hold has a Facebook account.

Snowy
Lock him up!!!
Premium Member
join:2003-04-05
Kailua, HI

Snowy

Premium Member

said by MarkAW:

Doesn't matter where the writer lives Subway $5 footlongs can be bought at any if not all Subway.

You should tell that to the Subway closest to me.
$6 footlongs (Black Forest Ham, Cold Cut Trio, Meatball Marinara & 2 others) are currently being offered as a promotion.
You can get almost all of the 6" for $5 or less.
Blocking access to facebook is like covering your eyes, n'est ce pas? It's still there, the only difference is you can't see what's there.
I thought my own true PII was safe from being posted on facebook until I found out a niece had uploaded a few pics of me to her faceboook page along with the usual descriptions "Ths is my Uncle Snowy who lives in..."

MarkAW
Barry White
Premium Member
join:2001-08-27
Canada

MarkAW

Premium Member

said by Snowy:

Blocking access to facebook is like covering your eyes, n'est ce pas? It's still there, the only difference is you can't see what's there.
I thought my own true PII was safe from being posted on facebook until

That's the hole point i don't want to see what's going on with or at facebook. My life wont change one bit not knowing what's going on with facebook and i like it that way. So your point is mute to me.

Snowy
Lock him up!!!
Premium Member
join:2003-04-05
Kailua, HI

Snowy

Premium Member

said by MarkAW:

...So your point is mute to me.

I figured as much but posted anyway in the off that chance someone besides you reads my posts
scross
join:2002-09-13
USA

1 recommendation

scross to Snowy

to Snowy
Along those lines, I don't have a Facebook account but my wife does. Unfortunately, she thinks nothing of posting personal information about her or me or anyone else there, because she thinks only her friends can see it - which is of course not at all true (we've had a few "discussions" about this). And potential real-world security issues abound here. For example, on my 50th birthday she announced "Happy Birthday!" to me on Facebook - not that I would ever see it, but all her friends did. And while I don't care if anyone knows how old I am, I do care who knows my actual date of birth (which is trivially deduced from her Facebook entry), because that is most certainly a potential security (identity theft) concern. So I made her delete that entry.
scross

1 recommendation

scross to MarkAW

to MarkAW
If you read the fine print on special deals on almost anything, you'll often see that Alaska (AK) and Hawaii (HI) are excluded or at least handled differently. The reason being that shipping costs to (and within) those two states are not trivial, particularly for perishable food items, and that has to be taken into consideration. A certain lack of competition in those markets may come into play here, too.
Mele20
Premium Member
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

Mele20 to MarkAW

Premium Member

to MarkAW
Why post a generic photo that has nothing to do with INDIVIDUAL Subways? Subway is franchised so it totally depends on the franchisee what is served and what the price is going to be. Plus, Hawaii and Alaska are excluded from Mainland prices...assuming the franchisee wishes it that way.

Same with Starbucks. We are still International Starbucks not USA and International prices and menus apply.
dave
Premium Member
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio

3 recommendations

dave

Premium Member

I nominate the "subway price discussion" for one of the more bizarre off-topic digressions of the year.

StuartMW
Premium Member
join:2000-08-06

1 recommendation

StuartMW

Premium Member

When I was a kid the saying was "What's that got to do with the price of eggs in China?". It now appears to be "What's that got to do with the price of Subway in Hawaii?" But then I haven't been to Subway in about 2 years.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS to Mele20

MVM

to Mele20
said by Mele20:

Ahhh. One of the benefits of living in the Islands? I just got back from the Subway around the corner from my apartment. Six inch sandwich for $4.50. Even with California's outrageous sales tax, and the Santa Clara County surtax, I dropped less than $5 on the sandwich.