how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

kcorscadden

join:2007-04-04
Kingston, ON

Great Service Start

Got installed yesterday, just plugged in my new Asus N66U and I am consistently getting 30/2.

I have 1 question though, what should my ping rate be at? I am getting between 45-50 ms which seems a bit high.

rocca
Start.ca
Premium
join:2008-11-16
London, ON
kudos:22

Excellent, thanks for your support and welcome aboard!

The ping really depends on a number of factors such as where you are, etc. Also would suggest testing with the computer directly connected to modem and using the »toronto.speedtest.net site.

Thanks.

silvercat

join:2007-11-07
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
reply to kcorscadden

said by kcorscadden:

I have 1 question though, what should my ping rate be at? I am getting between 45-50 ms which seems a bit high.

Also of course, ping will be higher when connecting through wireless, as opposed to connecting through ethernet -- at least that is what i've been observing.

kcorscadden

Kingston, ON

Hmmm ok, I found when I was with DSL my ping was low wired/wireless, but I will try a speed test later wired

damir52
SFRJ
Premium
join:2003-05-24

I used to have similar results until couple days ago.

Now, its getting better and better:

--
www.urimage.net - Free Image Hosting

jimmyfogg

join:2010-12-30
reply to kcorscadden

kcorscadden: Whereabouts in Kingston are you? I just cancelled Bell in the Greenwood Park area, looking forward to what Start can provide... How are your speeds?

kcorscadden

Kingston, ON

I am located near the Cat Centre and the speeds are pretty good. The one drawback to cable is that speeds do fluctuate. Last night I was getting 3 Mbps vs the 30 Mbps I would normally get 30 Mbps.

It doesn't matter if it's Cogeco or Start, cable will fluctuate vs DSL where it is a set profile.

The biggest selling point for me was that for $10 more I could get 30/2 with Start/Cogeco vs 7/512 that I was getting with Teksavvy/Bell. With the extra 100 gigs in cap, it's a no brainer as for the most part my download speed will be higher than my DSL connection was.

daeron

join:2012-05-11
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..

said by kcorscadden:

It doesn't matter if it's Cogeco or Start, cable will fluctuate vs DSL where it is a set profile.

DSL can also get congested the same way cable can. It just depends on your area and what the usage is.

daeron

join:2012-05-11
reply to kcorscadden

Oops double post.