koitsu
MVM
join:2002-07-16
Mountain View, CA
Humax BGW320-500

koitsu to Thordrune

MVM

to Thordrune

Re: [motherboard] Motherbaord help please ...

Thanks Thordrune See Profile, sounds like my concern over the 12V bits is unjustified then. (I'm happy to be wrong )

The only concern I have about one big 12V rail is with regards to the devices which connect via 4-pin Molex. I'd need an EE person around to verify but as I remember a lot of consumer devices tended to be "noisy" or make a mess of the electrical, which is why they were segregated from other 12V lines. Possibly that has changed with ATX revision improvements (I don't follow those -- my brain is full!) and vendors are better about it now.

I do remember the whole single rail vs. multiple rail argument, which resulted in a bunch of hullabaloo over "everyone needing multiple rails", then 3-4 years later there's a whole "single rail" movement. I wish people would be consistent.
Thordrune
Premium Member
join:2005-08-03
Lakeport, CA

1 recommendation

Thordrune

Premium Member

I think part of the split-rail movement was that there were safety concerns about allowing so much current over a single rail. The problem then moved over to crossloading issues with split rails, since power supplies rarely documented what cables ran off of which rail. Additional filtering could be part of the 2.3 spec, but I have no idea.