how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

m12345s

join:2010-10-13
Bolivar, MO

[Compatibility] Hosts Man w/windows 8 preview

Hi, I just downloaded hosts man and after I downloaded it I went to update the hosts and it updated the hosts, but immediately after that my internet stops working completely, nothing works at all on it, it also slows down my computer by a lot. I had hosts man on windows 7 and it worked fine, is it compatible with windows 8? Or am I not setting something up correctly? Thanks, I have windows 8 release preview 64-bit.

Cudni
La Merma - Vigilado
Premium,MVM
join:2003-12-20
Someshire
kudos:13
If you reset hosts file does the connectivity return? If it does, try excluding hosts file from scanning
»support.microsoft.com/kb/2764944

Cudni

m12345s

Bolivar, MO
When it does it Hosts Man becomes un responsive and I am not able to do anything at all with it, I have tried it 3 times now and it does it every time, I have to do a system restore to get everything back to normal every time.

norwegian
Premium
join:2005-02-15
Outback

1 edit

1 recommendation

Don't quote me as I do not know Win 8.

However the problems you are encountering in previous flavours of Windows, is the dns service is still turned on. This has to be disabled. Sometimes it means configuring the connection with the router IP address or the dns servers of your choice/ISP.

The freezing/non response is the dns service trying to process all the entries in the hosts' file.
--
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing - Edmund Burke

siljaline
I'm lovin' that double wide
Premium
join:2002-10-12
Montreal, QC
kudos:17
Reviews:
·Bell Sympatico
reply to m12345s
Nothing to do with HostsMan.
As Cudni See Profile said, exclude Hosts from being scanned by Windows Defender (Or) disable Windows Defender via Windows Services. If all else fails, restore Hosts to default You have some choices and work to do.

m12345s

Bolivar, MO
I have windows defender turned off, anything else it could be that could be causing this, sorry I have googled it but found little information about it.

Dustyn
Premium
join:2003-02-26
Ontario, CAN
kudos:11

1 recommendation

Click for full size
Did you do as norwegian See Profile suggested?
Try turning off the "DNS Client" service by setting it to "DISABLED".
Reboot the computer and see how your network connection responds. Mine was fast as I have a rather large HOSTS file.
The DNS service will slow down a computer with a large HOSTS file, no question. I also use HostsMan and I HAVE to have that service disabled.

siljaline
Premium
Montreal, QC
Reviews:
·Bell Sympatico
reply to m12345s
If Windows Defender is disabled in services, then it is not Windows Defender that is preventing your Hosts file from loading in your DNS.
Dustyn See Profile has a unique situation as he runs a large Hosts file, thus, the requirement in disabling DNS in Services.
I run a custom Hosts file and do not disable DNS via Services. You could flush your DNS cache

ipconfig /flushdns

reboot.

See if that works, if no joy revert your Hosts to default per the KB, I posted, or remove HostMan as it may not sit correctly with the Windows 8 preview.

m12345s

Bolivar, MO
Thanks guys, that seems to have done it, I stopped and disabled the start-up, haven't even rebooted it yet and it slowly became faster and faster, just curious, do you guys run all the sources in hosts man? Thanks.

siljaline
Premium
Montreal, QC
Reviews:
·Bell Sympatico
What Service did you stop & disable ? If you did, I requires a boot at all times, to take effect.
Since I don't use third party tools to manage my Hosts File and with Hurricane Sandy ongoing, many won't be chiming in right away to offer opinions if third party tools, such as HostsMan are an issue under Windows 8 preview.

m12345s

Bolivar, MO

1 edit
The DNS client in services, I hit stop and it said stopping, then on start-up options I set it to disable so it won't start-up next reboot. It seems to be working great with Windows 8.

siljaline
Premium
Montreal, QC
Reviews:
·Bell Sympatico

1 edit
It would seem you have things sorted, for now.
Best bet would be to let things sit for a day or so and post back if you have further issues.
Please keep in mind notes already posted regarding required reboots once you have disabled or tweaked a Service.
Stay away from System Restore, that just makes things messy

norwegian
Premium
Outback
said by siljaline:

It would seem you have things sorted, for now.

You have not heard of this issue before? Seems to be a little doubt in our response to this question. May I ask why?

norwegian
Premium
Outback
reply to m12345s
said by m12345s:

Thanks guys, that seems to have done it, I stopped and disabled the start-up, haven't even rebooted it yet and it slowly became faster and faster, just curious, do you guys run all the sources in hosts man? Thanks.

Yes, I do, it does slow down browsing a little but the filtering works for me. Try at least MVPS' file, they contain the most basic set of sites, however if you like more filtering try hpguru's as well, as it is a great extended list - you may just need to take out a few to tailor to you needs.
--
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing - Edmund Burke

m12345s

Bolivar, MO
Thanks, I have all but 2 or 3 selected, seems to be running fine with not really any noticeable slow downs yet, thanks to everyone for their quick help.

siljaline
Premium
Montreal, QC
reply to norwegian
With HostsMan and Windows 8 preview, I have not yet heard of such an issue, no.

norwegian
Premium
Outback

1 recommendation

Windows 8 is still based on the same O/S core isn't it? The DNS service issue with large HOSTS files has been around in XP, Vista and Win 7, then theoretically it would be similar in Win 8? I doubt anything has changed that much. But happy to be proved wrong.

The tell tell signs are svchost.exe running at 50% - 100% and non-response of the system.
--

norwegian
Premium
Outback
reply to m12345s
said by m12345s:

Thanks, I have all but 2 or 3 selected, seems to be running fine with not really any noticeable slow downs yet, thanks to everyone for their quick help.

I should have said I have all sources selected, not all selections.
Eg: hpguru's partial lists and such are not required if you are utilizing the full list.

siljaline
Premium
Montreal, QC
Reviews:
·Bell Sympatico
reply to norwegian
Since I have not been involved with Windows Client (the O/S) since I was an MVP, I could not say with much certainty if Win 8 shares the same kernel with previous builds of Windows. There has to be much backwards compatibility for those moving forward to Win 8 from Win 7. So, it would be fair to assume yes.

The large custom Hosts file issue has been around since XP. As you and many others are fully aware.
This was generally defeated by disabling the DNS Client in Services, as previously discussed. »SpyBot Heads UP

As also mentioned, many do not disable DNS in Services since they are not able to dump DNS cache on-demand without having to re-enable the DNS Client via Services. This implies a required reboot.

I used to run DNS disabled but no longer do this since I have moved to Win 7.

You would have to elaborate more on scvhost.exe eating process RAM ?

As I also may or may not have mentioned, I do run MVPS Hosts but without third-party apps such as HostsMan. As a result, I can't speak of findings of those having issues with these apps and a large Hosts file.

At this point with the Win 8 preview, it's a mixed bag of tricks with many struggling to find app and compatibility.

norwegian
Premium
Outback

1 recommendation

said by siljaline:

You would have to elaborate more on scvhost.exe eating process RAM ?

When you manage to actually look at the process causing the slow down it is svchost.exe (network service). 50% cpu cycles can cause a freeze - on those systems I don't think it offloads to the second core, etc. However I've not tried of the more recent builds. I haven't really looked at the memory / delta and all those other columns available in task manager.

For the record, when installing HostsMan, it has a select box for turning of the DNS service; from memory it does not disable it though, only turns it off and sets the service to manual.

I have for years now just disabled the DNS service before installation. Although it takes a little more study/configuring of the client's internet connection before this approach for others due to it causing me more headaches than it is worth visiting to white list or disable a hosts' entry so they can visit that site they must have - regardless of my advice.

--

m12345s

Bolivar, MO
reply to norwegian
Hey, still working pretty good for me, I went into hosts man this morning and tried to disable all the partial lists and stuff, I unchecked it from update sources but I am not sure how to actually delete them, now I think I just have it where it won't update. Thanks.

norwegian
Premium
Outback

2 edits
With this, there is hopefully a back up of your hosts' file which will set it back to original if required.
There is a prompt in the installer to take a back up - you can just set it back then update with the new configuration if you want.

However if you have it set to delete duplicates by default; it usually is set up this way; it will delete all the extra entries anyway, so the partial lists won't make any difference to the final hosts' list.

Edit:
Duplicates check: HostsMan-Edit-Find Duplicates
Back Ups: HostsMan-Tools-Back Up Manager
Utility: HostsMan-Tools-HostsMan Editor (Great for searching for entries to white list, duplicates, hijacks, disabled, etc)

--

m12345s

Bolivar, MO
reply to norwegian
Ok, yeah I did remove duplicates so I think that should of taken care of it then, thanks for the information.