Davesnothere
No-BHELL-ity DOES have its Advantages
Premium
join:2009-06-15
START Today!
kudos:7

4 edits

WHO is UP-DOWN during Sandy

Just checked ANVEO and I have dialtone - dialed my cell and it rang.

Anveo is based in Philly, is it not ? - Not TOO far from NYC - though their SIP servers are in another US city, in Montreal, and in Europe.

No dialtone on CallCentric as their power arrangements in NYC seem to be pretty slim and they had to power everything down before UPS power faded. - see P79+ of their big thread, where, among other things, it is stated that NYC prohibits backup generators.

Oddly, VOIP.MS can haz generator power in NYC, as I have been reading in 2 other threads, though they mirrored their website to another city and they say that it will be back as soon as the DNS change propagates. - Still, in times like this, their multiple SIP servers in different cities would seem to be a big PLUS.

CallWithUS is based in FLA ? - If so, then they would likely be OK.

Twitter is UP. - Updates from CallCentric and VOIP.MS are there.

DLSR is UP. - Their hosting data centre and peering is in Washington DC ?

HERE are some MORE (Thank Youse) :

said by gbh2o:

I must be _very_ lucky, even my RentPBX server in NJ is still working great.

Alphabetical list of VoSPs that I've tested so far [Tuesday A.M.] :

Anveo - working
CallWithUs - working
CheapVoipInc - working
Fonica/PBXinaFlash.net - working
FutureNine - working
Messagenet.it - working
SipGate -working
Telasip - working
Vitelity - working
VoipDiscount - working
VOIPo - working
voip.ms - working

said by kaila:

Voxbeam's Virginia server remains up- received an email from them yesterday stating they have a seamless migration plan in place, and will switch to their Amsterdam center if necessary....

said by Davesnothere:

said by Trev:

Business as usual here on the west coast.... [in spite of recent Earthquake]

Meaning AcroVoice is UP then.

said by JoeSchmoe007:

Anveo is working but sound quality was a bit choppy.

Skype is working fine via the same connection, so probably something on Anveo end.

....Used CWU via PhonerLite this morning for 20 min conference call - had zero problems....

--

We have only 2 things about which to worry :
(1) That things may never get back to normal
(2) That they already HAVE !

MartinM
VoIP.ms
Premium,VIP
join:2008-07-21
kudos:4
Regarding VoiP.ms, the reason the website and New York POP were switched to another data center with a DNS Update is simple..The data center in New York where VoIP.ms Website is hosted estimated diesel power to 65 hours, then they got flooded and estimated power to 5-6 hours, that's when we decided to take action. We already had backup images ready, we also have a permanent real time image of our database being replicated to two other geo locations. However, these changes can take a little time to implement. The very first thing that was done was to update DNS for New York VoIP. Web site was a second priority because it does't affect uptime for the VoIP service. At the moment of typing this, the customer interface is being tested and should be online in a few.
--
Martin - VoIP.ms

Davesnothere
Premium
START Today!
said by MartinM:

Regarding VoiP.ms....

K00L !

BTW, I just checked and your website seems to have propagated to whichever DNS serves ME - The front page came up promptly just now.

I had not checked it earlier, but some others had posted that it had been down.

Trev
IP Telephony Addict
Premium
join:2009-06-29
Victoria, BC
kudos:6
reply to Davesnothere
Business as usual here on the west coast. As long as those earthquakes stay up north, that is. Aftershocks are still rumbling Masset as recent as a couple hours ago.
--
Wondering what I do? Find out at »www.digitalcon.ca
Get your Obihai ATA in Canada.

Davesnothere
Premium
START Today!
said by Trev:

Business as usual here on the west coast....

Meaning AcroVoice is UP then.

MartinM
VoIP.ms
Premium,VIP
reply to Trev
said by Trev:

Business as usual here on the west coast. As long as those earthquakes stay up north, that is. Aftershocks are still rumbling Masset as recent as a couple hours ago.

Oh really? Businesses not located in the disaster area are not affected? Man I guess I need some sherlock lessons.
--
Martin - VoIP.ms

Davesnothere
Premium
START Today!
said by MartinM:

Oh really?....

Smile when you say that.

Some inside that zone WERE affected, to varying degrees, and some were not.

Davesnothere
Premium
START Today!

2 edits
reply to Davesnothere

UPDATE : I read this past night that the local law in NYC apparently is that a LANDLORD can set up and offer the services of a backup power generator to its tenants, but a TENANT cannot do this individually for themself.

Callcentric (@Callcentric) tweeted this past evening :
"Buildings are allowed, however individual companies within buildings are not allowed." [i.e. to have backup power generators]

MartinM
VoIP.ms
Premium,VIP
reply to Davesnothere
said by Davesnothere:

said by MartinM:

Oh really?....

Smile when you say that.

Some inside that zone WERE affected, to varying degrees, and some were not.

Sorry, I was a bit tense when I posted that.
--
Martin - VoIP.ms

nitzan
Premium,VIP
join:2008-02-27
kudos:8
said by MartinM:

Sorry, I was a bit on the edge when I posted that.

Wouldn't be the first time...

sokhapkin
Premium
join:2003-05-08
North Fort Myers, FL
reply to Davesnothere
Callwithus servers are located in California, Michigan and London, UK.
--
»www.callwithus.com

MartinM
VoIP.ms
Premium,VIP
reply to nitzan
said by nitzan:

said by MartinM:

At least I am.. Passionate And I do not self promote ourselves when others are down.
--
Martin - VoIP.ms

nitzan
Premium,VIP
said by MartinM:

At least I am.. Passionate And I do not self promote ourselves when others are down.

Oh yeah? where exactly did I self-promote?

w8sdz

join:2001-05-21
Port Orange, FL
reply to sokhapkin
said by sokhapkin:

Callwithus servers are located in California, Michigan and London, UK.

I'm happy to see this (I have CallWithUs pay-as-you-go for outgoing calls). That is great for outgoing service, but do you have any similar DID partners with multiple data centers?

--
73 de w8sdz - sip:w8sdz@getonsip.com - Google+: »plus.google.com/+w8sdz

sokhapkin
Premium
North Fort Myers, FL
DIDs always have a single point of failure. If you need a very reliable DID - use POTS.
--
»www.callwithus.com

w8sdz

join:2001-05-21
Port Orange, FL
said by sokhapkin:

DIDs always have a single point of failure. If you need a very reliable DID - use POTS.

That goes without saying.

My question related to DID providers with redundant connections to ISPs using BGP to automatically handle routing changes needed to reach CallWithUs. CallWithUs has three widely distributed locations. I want a DID provider with at least 3 BGP routed connections to the Internet.

--
73 de w8sdz - sip:w8sdz@getonsip.com - Google+: »plus.google.com/+w8sdz

mikefxu

join:2004-10-05
Titusville, FL
reply to MartinM
said by MartinM:

said by nitzan:

said by MartinM:

The name of the thread is: "WHO is UP-DOWN during Sandy"

sokhapkin
Premium
North Fort Myers, FL
reply to w8sdz
Almost all DID providers (CLECs and ILECs) have only one connection to Internet - their own network.
--
»www.callwithus.com

Trimline
Premium
join:2004-10-24
Windermere, FL
Reviews:
·ObiVoice
·Bright House
·Callcentric
·voip.ms

1 edit
reply to w8sdz
I also use Vitelity. They are primarily a commercial provider but do provide service to residential users. They don't have a lot of web options like the other providers, but are pretty good. Voicemail and call blocking is offered.

»www.vitelity.com/network/

Edit: Removed special pricing line as this may have changed.

mdseuss

join:2012-05-27
Worcester, MA
reply to Davesnothere
Our minimal (half-rack) presence in NYC made it through the night but there is flooding and no power and our provider @ 75 Broad has asked us to power down by 11:00 AM EDT

(We lost our 4 ISDN/PRI lines to Qwest during the night ... VoIP working fine )

JoeSchmoe007
Premium
join:2003-01-19
Brooklyn, NY
Reviews:
·Optimum Online

1 edit
reply to Davesnothere
Anveo is working but sound quality was a bit choppy. Skype is working fine via the same connection, so probably something on Anveo end.

I disabled CC in my OBi, PhonerLite can't register for CC account.

Used CWU via PhonerLite this morning for 20 min conference call - had zero problems (Anveo can't reach this # today because high interconnect cost (per Anveo support), but was able to reach it 2 days ago - go figure) .

borntochill

join:2003-02-09
united state
reply to Davesnothere
I have set up several client businesses with voip.ms and all of them are up-and-running today, including those using newyork.voip.ms. All services are working too including Interactive Voice Response, subaccounts, etc.

gbh2o

join:2000-12-18
Longs, SC
Reviews:
·Future Nine Corp..
·VOIPO
·callwithus
reply to Davesnothere

Alphabetical list of VoSPs that I've tested so far:

Anveo - working
CallWithUs - working
CheapVoipInc - working
FutureNine - working
Messagenet.it - working
SipGate -working
Telasip - working
Vitelity - working
VoipDiscount - working
VOIPo - working
voip.ms - working

You just have to love the flexibility of VoIP; robust and reliable!

THANKS to all of you!

JoeSchmoe007
Premium
Brooklyn, NY
Reviews:
·Optimum Online

1 edit
said by gbh2o:

Anveo - working
CallWithUs - working
CheapVoipInc - working
FutureNine - working
Messagenet.it - working
SipGate -working
Telasip - working
Vitelity - working
VoipDiscount - working
VOIPo - working
voip.ms - working

THANKS to all of you!

I am getting a bit tired from that "flexibility". To me it translates into having to bend over backwards and maintain 3 providers already (Anveo - primary, CC - backup, CWU - backup for the backup because backup is down and primary won't complete calls to certain numbers with high termination cost). I just want to make calls and save money comparing with phone/cable company. This seems to be unattainable in VOIP world - time spent on getting it to work and having to maintain $ balance on all accounts seems to negate all price savings.

OldCoalMiner

join:2004-05-20
said by JoeSchmoe007:

said by gbh2o:

Anveo - working
CallWithUs - working
CheapVoipInc - working
FutureNine - working
Messagenet.it - working
SipGate -working
Telasip - working
Vitelity - working
VoipDiscount - working
VOIPo - working
voip.ms - working

THANKS to all of you!

I am getting a bit tired from that "flexibility". To me it translates into having to bend over backwards and maintain 3 providers already (Anveo - primary, CC - backup, CWU - backup for the backup because backup is down and primary can't complete calls to certain numbers with high termination cost). I just want to make calls and save money comparing with phone/cable company. This seems to be unattainable in VOIP world - time spent on getting it to work and having to maintain $ balance on all accounts seems to negate all price savings.

I'm coming round to that same thinking also. I recently jumped into VoIP, but am now re thinking if it's worth it vs. a basic landline with no extra add-ons.

nitzan
Premium,VIP

1 recommendation

Hold on guys. Just because one provider had a rough patch doesn't mean other providers are in the same boat. Try out other providers before you decide to jump ship. A good place to start would be: »/gbu/ - read reviews first before you decide who to go with. Lots of features doesn't necessarily mean best - reliability is more important IMHO.

JoeSchmoe007
Premium
Brooklyn, NY
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
said by nitzan:

Hold on guys. Just because one provider had a rough patch doesn't mean other providers are in the same boat. Try out other providers before you decide to jump ship. A good place to start would be: »/gbu/ - read reviews first before you decide who to go with. Lots of features doesn't necessarily mean best - reliability is more important IMHO.

It's not just one provider that had a rough patch, THEY ALL have issues.

earltheman

@charter.com
reply to JoeSchmoe007
Improcom has been down since mid afternoon yesterday. Don't know where there equipment is based, but there offices are in Brooklyn NY. Their office lines are down, and I can't even reach their web site.

garys_2k
Premium
join:2004-05-07
Farmington, MI
Reviews:
·Callcentric
reply to JoeSchmoe007
said by JoeSchmoe007:

said by nitzan:

It's not just one provider that had a rough patch, THEY ALL have issues.

Well, sure, technology itself has certain reliability boundaries, even POTS.

When adopting VoIP, certainly with BYOD, you accept some responsibility for your own connectivity and redundancy. Nevertheless, even POTS will fail if your local CO was flooded or lines (fiber or copper) were taken down.

A VoIP DID it can fail if:
- Your ISP(s) fail
- Your provider supplying that DID fails (or they have one data center, or they don't switch over)
- Your POTS CO or fiber connection(s) fail

Ougoing calls are easier to make redundant, of course, but you still need Internet connectivity.

Nothing is failure proof, we're saving money but with the knowledge that failures can happen. BUT, of course, there's a lot to be said for back office redundancy and geographic diversity. No disagreement on that!

XCOM
digitalnUll
Premium
join:2002-06-10
Spring, TX
Reviews:
·ObiVoice
·flowroute
·Comcast
I agree.... Even in a natural disaster event it's a hit and miss what services will survive... I built my application line around "some" redundancy

Primary = VoIP Tier 1, Tier 2, and Tier 3. (Different tiers just in case of service provider outage)
Secondary = GSM Gateway. (T-Mobile)

All of this connected to a Dual Battery backup system.
It is my responsibility to keep my family communicated as much as possible in case of any human controlled event meaning "if the service is available" I have to make it happen....

This is the responsibility I took when I decided to move to VoIP 8yrs a go.
--
[nUll@dcypher ~]$