Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

fred999

join:2012-02-09
Scarborough, ON
reply to xsbell

Re: [Internet] Bell throttling?

Just for my understanding, is it true to say that using DSL there will be no competition from neighbours? I know using cable, you can have congestion in your neigborhood, but not with DSL right?

But what about the larger picture? Can Primus have congestion on their part of the Bell network, or is it all Bell?

resa1983
Premium
join:2008-03-10
North York, ON
kudos:10

said by fred999:

Just for my understanding, is it true to say that using DSL there will be no competition from neighbours? I know using cable, you can have congestion in your neigborhood, but not with DSL right?

But what about the larger picture? Can Primus have congestion on their part of the Bell network, or is it all Bell?

If Bell's back-end is congested, everyone will have problems; same with if they have congested links to a peering partner (which was seen in 2010 & 2011 when peering to AT&T's network). If Bell hasn't provided enough capacity to a DSLAM, you'll also experience congestion (and so will your neighbours).

Bell's currently seeing DSLAM congestion for several areas right now, as upgrades are planned, but won't be followed through until other upgrades are done first as they don't want to have to do upgrades to a DSLAM more than once.
--
Battle.net Tech Support MVP

xsbell

join:2008-12-22
Canada
kudos:8
Reviews:
·Primus Telecommu..
reply to fred999

said by fred999:

It is not true. Every customer on your DSLAM will be sharing the same uplink.

I don't see Primus having the problem. With xDSL being a fat tree topology, the bottleneck will always be near the last mile (DSLAM uplinks). Another bottleneck would be Bell's AHSSPI. After that though, everything should be running at 10GigE or 40GigE.

fred999

join:2012-02-09
Scarborough, ON

Oh, well, in that case... maybe I suddenly have a new neighbor who is also doing downloads in the evening between 9 and 11pm...