how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

itguy05

join:2005-06-17
Carlisle, PA
reply to IowaCowboy

Re: Are there any generators out there???

said by IowaCowboy:

said by Jon:

Out of curiosity I was browsing around the NY/NJ craigslist ads. Plenty of people with multiple "New in box" generators for sale, probably for twice what they paid. One guy had 10! so they went around cleaning out inventories to gouge people. It's one thing to do that with a new game console or hot Xmas item, though I still think that's shitty too, but this makes me want to punch them in the head. People are assholes.

They should put those stickers on the box that says "This item intended for sale at (Lowe's/Home Depot), if found at other outlets/sources, call (800 number to loss prevention/fraud department).

Not sure that would do anything. In the middle of a crisis I wouldn't care how hot or cold that generator is.

What they could do is say No Returns on generators or a 15% restocking fee on non defective returns. That way you wouldn't have someone buying 10 for scalping and then returning them if they don't sell. And those that get defective ones (easily checked) would still be able to return them. And scampers would think twice...

leibold
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-09
Sunnyvale, CA
kudos:10
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET

1 recommendation

said by itguy05:

What they could do is say No Returns on generators or a 15% restocking fee on non defective returns.

Careful with those conditions. That restocking fee needs to be unconditional, otherwise every returned generator will be defect!
--
Got some spare cpu cycles ? Join Team Helix or Team Starfire!

Jack_in_VA
Premium
join:2007-11-26
North, VA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Millenicom
reply to itguy05
said by itguy05:

Not sure that would do anything. In the middle of a crisis I wouldn't care how hot or cold that generator is.

I would care

IowaCowboy
Iowa native
Premium
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA
Reviews:
·Verizon Broadban..
·Comcast
reply to leibold
said by leibold:

said by itguy05:

What they could do is say No Returns on generators or a 15% restocking fee on non defective returns.

Careful with those conditions. That restocking fee needs to be unconditional, otherwise every returned generator will be defect!

Or make it all sales final, and have the retailer arrange for warranty service on defective units (or exchange only to comply with state consumer protection laws and replace defective units with a refurbished one).

I now remember when I bought mine during a crisis (Oct snowstorm), they tried selling me a service plan (which I politely declined).
--
Romney-Ryan and Scott Brown are the Right Choice as they are Hope & Change you can count on.

kherr
Premium
join:2000-09-04
Collinsville, IL
The local electronics stores here did the same on big screen TVs when the Rams made the ply-offs and then the Super Bowl. It killed a lot of SB parties to say the least.

alkizmo

join:2007-06-25
Pierrefonds, QC
said by kherr:

It killed a lot of SB parties to say the least.

You mean it killed a lot of freeloader's high hopes.

itguy05

join:2005-06-17
Carlisle, PA
reply to leibold
said by leibold:

said by itguy05:

Easy to have them check. It starts and puts out 110/220v you send them to the manufacturer for warranty service. Or exchange only at that point.

That way I can't go into Home Depot, max my card out on generators, try to sell them and return the ones that are unsold.