share rss forum feed

Grail Knight

Premium
join:2003-05-31
Valhalla
kudos:6
reply to aurgathor

Re: A new norm for storms & global warming

Like I said I am leaning towards man-made causes and something had to give eventually. I hate to say this but the weather is only going to worsen in the coming decades.
--
"Paranoia, the destroyer"

NOCTech75
Premium
join:2009-06-29
Marietta, GA
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 recommendation

said by Grail Knight:

Like I said I am leaning towards man-made causes and something had to give eventually. I hate to say this but the weather is only going to worsen in the coming decades.

»heartland.org/editorial/2012/09/···frequent

quote:
Let’s split the 100-year hurricane record in half, starting with major hurricane strikes during the most recent 50 years.

During the most recent decade, 2001-2010, 7 major hurricanes struck the United States. That is exactly the 100-year average.

During the preceding decade, 1991-2000, 6 major hurricanes struck the United States. That is below the 100-year average.

During the decade 1981-1990, 4 major hurricanes struck the United States. That is substantially below the 100-year average, and ties the least number of major hurricanes on record.

During the decade 1971-1980, 4 major hurricanes struck the United States. That is substantially below the 100-year average, and ties 1981-1990 as the two decades with the least number of major hurricanes.

During the decade 1961-1970, 7 major hurricanes struck the United States. That is exactly the 100-year average.

Incredibly, not a single decade during the past 50 years saw an above-average number of major hurricanes – not a single decade!

Now let’s look at the preceding 50 years in the hurricane record, before the alleged human-induced global warming crisis.

During the decade 1951-1960, 9 major hurricanes struck the United States. That is above the 100-year average.

During the decade 1941-1950, 11 major hurricanes struck the United States. That is substantially above the 100-year average.

During the decade 1931-1940, 8 major hurricanes struck the United States. That is above the 100-year average.

During the decade 1921-1930, 6 major hurricanes struck the United States. That is slightly below the 100-year average.

During the decade 1911-1920, 8 major hurricanes struck the United States. That is above the 100-year average.

Grail Knight

Premium
Valhalla

1 recommendation

Lets not get stuck on hurricanes.
Drought, flooding, snowfall, etc... extremes are all part of the weather system.
--

NOCTech75
Premium
Marietta, GA
Reviews:
·Comcast
said by Grail Knight:

Lets not get stuck on hurricanes.
Drought, flooding, snowfall, etc... extremes are all part of the weather system.

And they all have happened before in various areas. Using a couple of examples of drought, flooding and snowfall doesn't come close to proving or disproving theories. And this thread was started by the OP on the basis of one hurricane.. so yes, we are going to be stuck on hurricanes since that is what this thread is about.

EGeezer
zichrona livracha
Premium
join:2002-08-04
Midwest
kudos:8

1 recommendation

reply to NOCTech75
When one is discussing "global" climatology, limiting discussion to hurricanes in the Unites states is only a small subset of the data.
--
Buckle Up. It makes it harder for the aliens to suck you out of your car.

NOCTech75
Premium
Marietta, GA
Reviews:
·Comcast
said by EGeezer:

When one is discussing "global" climatology, limiting discussion to hurricanes in the Unites states is only a small subset of the data.

Tell that to the OP, not me.

EGeezer
zichrona livracha
Premium
join:2002-08-04
Midwest
kudos:8
Reviews:
·Callcentric
said by NOCTech75:

Tell that to the OP, not me.

I was responding to the list of US-only storms you posted as a discussion point on global events and data.

Feel free disregard that observation as you wish.
--
Buckle Up. It makes it harder for the aliens to suck you out of your car.

NOCTech75
Premium
Marietta, GA
It was posted because that is what we were talking about.

Grail Knight

Premium
Valhalla
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL
·Time Warner Cable
reply to NOCTech75
Unless the OP complains about discussion not pertaining to hurricanes only I do not see a problem especially if it is man made or simply nature doing its thing.

I will not get in a pissing contest over the cause of extreme weather.
There are people on both sides of the fence and the winner is still the loser in the long run.
--