Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

nitzan
Premium,VIP
join:2008-02-27
kudos:8
reply to josephf

Re: [Future9] Free porting in NY, CA, PA, DE, MD, VA, and WV.

The problem for VOIP providers is that they have to rely on CLECs/ILECs to perform the port for them. Cell carriers are very fast at this but the carriers that provide services to VOIP providers range between a few days to painfully slow. A certain ILEC's wholesale division has a mandatory 14 business day waiting period - that's 3 weeks! smaller CLECs port faster, but they are only available within a limited number of states.

josephf

join:2009-04-26
So technically a CLEC could quickly port a VoIP DID, at least as fast as T-Mobile. But they are slow due to their own internal bureaucratic process, I take it.

nitzan
Premium,VIP
join:2008-02-27
kudos:8
said by josephf:

So technically a CLEC could quickly port a VoIP DID, at least as fast as T-Mobile. But they are slow due to their own internal bureaucratic process, I take it.

I think cellular is actually faster than a CLEC for other reasons too (I'm not that familiar with the process), but in general yes - a CLEC could process it in a few days, they're mostly just slow due to their own bureaucratic processes. The fastest ports I've seen were from the CLECs we're using for this offer which usually take a few days.