graysonf
MVM
join:1999-07-16
Fort Lauderdale, FL

graysonf to compugeek0

MVM

to compugeek0

Re: Free, Fully Functional Copy Of 'CrossOver'

It's fully enabled. There is a menu item for registering to activate it, but when you do that it says it's already enabled.

You don't get a license emailed to you. What they do email you later is a link to the support site good for one year.

Also, if you look in the demo folder where the file is located, the file is invisible.

compugeek0
Premium Member
join:2002-07-30
localhost

compugeek0

Premium Member

You are correct.

Snakeoil
Ignore Button. The coward's feature.
Premium Member
join:2000-08-05
united state

Snakeoil to graysonf

Premium Member

to graysonf
My question is:
What happens when the free time frame ends? Does it lock up, making you pay for it?
I understand it's for a year, but I'd like to know if there is a hammer at the end of the year requiring me to pay.

graysonf
MVM
Fort Lauderdale, FL

graysonf

MVM

I doubt there is any time bomb in it the program itself. The free support runs out after one year.

Even if the program is timebombed, so what? You got a free year.

No_Strings

join:2001-11-22
The OC

No_Strings to Snakeoil

to Snakeoil
According to the information on their site, you get a fully functional version (no time bomb, no limited features, etc.). In addition, you get one year of support which includes upgrades.

Once the support contract ends, the program should still work although you will not get free bug fixes. I'm sure they are betting on the fact that some people will like the software enough to buy a support contract in 12 months to guard against vulnerabilities and enjoy new features.

Snakeoil
Premium Member
united state

Snakeoil to graysonf

Premium Member

to graysonf
Because if I ditch playonlinux, I don't want to go back through reconfiguring everything all over again a year from now.
Snakeoil

Snakeoil to No_Strings

Premium Member

to No_Strings
k. I've been tempted to try Crossover before, but haven't because I found and use Playlinux. The cost was the deciding factor.

I'm still on the fence, and may not make the leap. I just don't know. *ugh*

No_Strings

join:2001-11-22
The OC

No_Strings

Understood. I'm going to consider it a cheap learning experience ... which is a nice change. Most of my lessons come at a high cost.

Snakeoil
Premium Member
united state

Snakeoil

Premium Member

I think, that Codeweavers/Crossover support Wine. Meaning they help develop it.

So any support they get is pretty good I guess.

graysonf
MVM
Fort Lauderdale, FL

graysonf to Snakeoil

MVM

to Snakeoil
Unless Crossover offers some capability you must have that is absent in PlayonLinux, then just stick with what you have.