Premium Member
join:2003-09-15
Irving, TX

sivran to neko

Premium Member

to neko

Re: [BT] uTorrent No Upload Mod: uSerenity

I would never use such a thing.

Also uploading does not hurt your download speeds. More often than not, it's the other way around. Just keep upload speed capped at 70-80% of your max to eliminate any possibility of choking.

neko
All Hail Canada
Premium Member
join:2006-08-11
Canada

neko

Premium Member

Thanks for the reply

I'm aware that capping upload helps to eliminate choking using a traditional BT client, such as uTorrent, however, Since I started using uSerenity I don't have to worry about that issue.

I really wanted to hear from other users of uSerenity, & if they have noticed a profound difference in download speed, compared to a traditional uTorrent client (with appropriate upload capping enabled).

Is there a particular reason you don't use a client such as uSerenity?

squircle
join:2009-06-23
OTWAON10

squircle

said by neko:

Is there a particular reason you don't use a client such as uSerenity?

Because leeching hurts the BT community. You're taking from seeders without giving back; how is it fair? The least you could do is be courteous enough to seed while you download (if not seed to a 1:1 ratio).

sivran
Vive Vivaldi
Premium Member
join:2003-09-15
Irving, TX

sivran

Premium Member

Not to mention getting you banned.
brianiscool
join:2000-08-16
Tampa, FL
·Charter

brianiscool to squircle

to squircle
I seed a lot for freeware applications, open source programs. For some reason since so many people seed it hardly caps my line
My max upload was maybe 3Mbps where my main upload is 75Mbps. Do you know any files that need to be seeded?

neko
All Hail Canada
Premium Member
join:2006-08-11
Canada

neko

Premium Member

said by brianiscool:

I seed a lot for freeware applications, open source programs.

Yes, those are the types of files I download generally. I already have Usenet access so I don't use uSerenity much at all.

I didn't know one could be banned from trackers for using it, so I think I should take the advice, & stop using it.

Thanks for the replies.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS to neko

MVM

to neko
said by neko:

I really wanted to hear from other users of uSerenity, & if they have noticed a profound difference in download speed, compared to a traditional uTorrent client (with appropriate upload capping enabled).

I have never heard of uSerenity, but I find it hard to believe it could give me a "profound" difference in download speed compared with uTorrent, and the built-in Opera BT client I have tested. Both saturate my download bandwidth. On the 15Mbs ADSL2+ connection, as well as on the 2.5Mbs ADSL connection.
newster
join:2011-09-26

newster

said by NormanS:

said by neko:

I have never heard of uSerenity, but I find it hard to believe it could give me a "profound" difference in download speed compared with uTorrent, and the built-in Opera BT client I have tested. Both saturate my download bandwidth. On the 15Mbs ADSL2+ connection, as well as on the 2.5Mbs ADSL connection.

There is absolutely a profound difference in download speed, but only for the people who don't know about the need to choke their upload bandwidth. That might be a reason why P2P leeches have always been so common. They just don't know any better.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS

MVM

said by newster:

There is absolutely a profound difference in download speed, but only for the people who don't know about the need to choke their upload bandwidth. That might be a reason why P2P leeches have always been so common. They just don't know any better.

True, but the OP wanted confirmation that uSerenity was, somehow, faster on the download than other clients. With upload properly managed (I hate Aeria Games for requiring that one uses their proprietary BT client; it saturates the upload, with no way to manage it natively), download speed is consistent with the usual caveat; you can't pull faster than others in the swarm can push, or your ISP speed tier, whichever is slower.

Selenia
Gentoo Convert
Premium Member
join:2006-09-22
Fort Smith, AR

Selenia

Premium Member

I use QoS on my network. None of these proprietary clients bother my connection because I prioritize important protocols and deprioritize torrents. Found that to actually improve performance because data packets are scheduled to network load and priority, thus the line does not get chokes and the torrents mainly just get throttled as needed to maintain quality of service. If the line keeps a good ping with appropriately scheduled packets, even torrents perform better, yet I can make an SIP call with these things running.