share rss forum feed

EdmundGerber

join:2010-01-04
kudos:1
reply to DKS

Re: [Serious] Statists, be proud! re: Ashley Smith

said by DKS:

said by Gone:

The system failed for Ashley, and the way she was allowed to be treated is nothing short of criminal.

No, the "system" did not "fail". The "system" is not well designed to handle people with severe mental health issues and especially those under 17 in the first place.

What you are seeing is not "criminal" but the result of inadequate funding, planning and nothing shot of a "system" in crisis. There are alternatives. Sadly, our "crime and punishment" mentality (and that of the current government in Ottawa) is nothing but a massive failure for people with serious medical conditions who commit crimes.

You think funding is the problem??? Explain the need for 6 stormtroopers in full riot gear for one teen. At 5:30 AM. I bet everyone one of those SOB's is earning nearly 6 figures. Funding excuse be damned!

This goes all the way to the top, and the attitude of our current government. I fucking weep for what's become of Canada!

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones
Premium,ExMod 2002
join:2001-03-22
Owen Sound, ON
kudos:2
said by EdmundGerber:

said by DKS:

said by Gone:

The system failed for Ashley, and the way she was allowed to be treated is nothing short of criminal.

No, the "system" did not "fail". The "system" is not well designed to handle people with severe mental health issues and especially those under 17 in the first place.

What you are seeing is not "criminal" but the result of inadequate funding, planning and nothing shot of a "system" in crisis. There are alternatives. Sadly, our "crime and punishment" mentality (and that of the current government in Ottawa) is nothing but a massive failure for people with serious medical conditions who commit crimes.

You think funding is the problem??? Explain the need for 6 stormtroopers in full riot gear for one teen. At 5:30 AM. I bet everyone one of those SOB's is earning nearly 6 figures. Funding excuse be damned!

This goes all the way to the top, and the attitude of our current government. I fucking weep for what's become of Canada!

You really should make an effort to become informed. I work in the health care and corrections system as part of my job and do volunteer work in the mental health system. I have a child very similar to Ashley, although, fortunately, the helping circle has prevented a similar outcome so far.

Learn some facts. Better yet, stop crying "The Horror! The Horror!" and start advocating with our politicians for change. Money IS the issue.

Mental health is the poorest relative in the health care system. Workers in the mental health system are largely non-unionized and have had their salaries frozen for twelve of the last fifteen years. They have no pensions and few benefits. They earn up to 40% less than those in the hospital system.

Sunshine list? Don't make me laugh. Outside of psychiatrists and a few administrators, there are damned few there. Of all the mental health workers in our area (there are about 90 in the outpatient sector) exactly one is on the Sunshine List and she works 80 hours a week.
--
Need-based health care not greed-based health care.

shaner
Premium
join:2000-10-04
Calgary, AB
said by DKS:

Sunshine list? Don't make me laugh. Outside of psychiatrists and a few administrators, there are damned few there. Of all the mental health workers in our area (there are about 90 in the outpatient sector) exactly one is on the Sunshine List and she works 80 hours a week.

I think you misinterpreted what he was saying. The guards in the video could very well be on the Sunshine List, which is the wrong place to spend the money. In other words, the money is there, it's just allocated to the wrong place.
--
I'm a man, but I can change. If I have to. I guess.

»shaner38.blogspot.com/

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones
Premium,ExMod 2002
join:2001-03-22
Owen Sound, ON
kudos:2
said by shaner:

said by DKS:

I think you misinterpreted what he was saying. The guards in the video could very well be on the Sunshine List, which is the wrong place to spend the money. In other words, the money is there, it's just allocated to the wrong place.

No, I understand better than you can imagine. No one has evidence or proof of any guard there being on any Sunshine List. Suggesting that is nothing more than unproductive, idle speculation. However, there is evidence of chronic under-funding of the mental health system.
--
Need-based health care not greed-based health care.