Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Dissembled

join:2008-01-23
Indianapolis, IN
reply to Jobbie

Re: [Raiding] UI and Addon Thread

I spent an hour (precious leveling time!) messing with SpartanUI the other night and got really frustrated with it. I love the look of the default UI but once I looked under the hood, so to speak, and tried to customize a couple things here and there, it just went to hell. To me, it just seemed like the integration between Spartan and Bartender was not very good at all. Going into Bartender and trying to tweak a bar even in the least just threw Spartan into fits and it was a bitch to try and recover/restart. I found it infuriating that Bartender supports 10 skill bars but Spartan absolutely refused to let me put more than 6 on the screen. I also logged off and back on at one point and none of my changes had saved (and yes, I had created a new profile that was still there when I logged back on!). That was the final blow when I finally just deleted both Spartan and Bartender.

I use Dominoes and I think it's really pretty similar to Bartender, but it's what I've always used and it's endlessly flexible and customizable. I think it's because it's like that that my UI is haphazard and messy because I don't have an artistic bone in my body and my bars are just thrown on there wherever they may fall.

Some of my other Can't Live Without addons are:

Postal (Invaluable if you AH at all)
Double Wide Trade Skills (so so nice)
Auctioneer
MiniMap Button Frame (after seeing your UI Joel, you should check this one out)
Healbot (I know there's the haters, but I love Healbot)
Move Anything (if you don't have it, you should)
Ice Hud (A personal taste type mod, but I've come to love it)

And then all the standard big mods (recount, DBM, etc)

JoelC707
Premium
join:2002-07-09
Lanett, AL
kudos:5
Click for full size
Top right corner, see all the dupe icons?
said by Dissembled:

MiniMap Button Frame (after seeing your UI Joel, you should check this one out)

I looked it up on Curse and like it but what I have does similar and I believe is part of Carbonite. I can change the one I have from vertical to horizontal easily enough and move it around at will. I don't know about reordering the buttons or hiding any of them as I've never had a need to.

I do have a somewhat duplicated set of buttons too that I think was added by Auctioneer (it has their buttons and such in it too). It's annoying and will pop out and cover a decent part of the screen if you mouse over it (could be useful I guess) so I moved it all the way to the top right of the screen. Maybe I'll try and get used to it or find which addon included it and find out how to turn it off. See screenshot for the one I'm talking about.

cymraeg
Thread Killer
Premium
join:2011-06-07
Dodge, NE
enchantrix and auc cause that in the auctioneer suite, either delete them individually and use what you have or vice versa

mettachain
Goblineer

join:2011-09-27
Azeroth
kudos:1
reply to JoelC707
Norganna's or Morganna's slide bar is that pullout. you can add most of the buttons you have in that Carbonite vertical button bar and then disable the cabonite button bar. I mean who really wants to see minimap buttons all the time? Honestly...

Also, learn the slash commands to bring up you mods config screens.

/xperl
/dbm
/omen config
/recount config

No sense having those button shown. minimap buttons are nasty. also clean that UI up and shrink you action bars a bit. shrink that XP bar. why do you even have the Bag bar enabled? it's not giving you any information. you're just looking at what bags you have. just wasted space.
--
If you find the information in my post helpful or interesting, please throw me a Kudos. Thanks!

JoelC707
Premium
Lanett, AL
Ahhh that's the name of it. I might just do that but it'll take some getting used to since I've always been slightly annoyed at the pop out sidebar but I could get used to it and you're probably right it would give me back a little screen space.

The bag bar is leftover from before Bagnon. I actually never used a bag addon before moving installs between mine and my GF's computer (she swears by Bagnon). I had certain things in certain bags and simply opened the bag I needed instead of opening them all (and yes, for the most part I knew what should be in what bag and didn't have to open random bags until I found what I needed). I still kinda miss that but I'm used to Bagnon now so it's all good.

As for the XP bar, I actually hide it if I'm not tracking XP or rep. I can add a small XP/rep bar to the x-perl char window but I've been so used to that one (it's from Dominoes) it's one of those "don't have an incentive to change" type things. It does make me shift things down a little up top, I might see if I can adjust it's size or just swap to x-perl's bar instead.

Feralmordius

join:2011-01-18
reply to Dissembled
said by Dissembled:

To me, it just seemed like the integration between Spartan and Bartender was not very good at all.

Yeah, I got Spartan and Bartender setup the way I like them including showing/using 10 bars. It took a lot of time and bartender is very finicky about placement. This is one reason I don't mess with my UI to much. Spartan looks pretty but it does take up space and really limits your customization.
--
Tiermordius on Nathrezim Server (US)
Main Tank for Pride and Ego

mettachain
Goblineer

Azeroth
reply to JoelC707
Do you click your action bars a lot? If not, you could probably reduce the size of those buttons by 5, 10, maybe even 15% and still be able to see the GCD/CD of your abilities on there. If you use OmniCC like I do for cooldown text, the text will overlay smaller buttons no problem.
--
If you find the information in my post helpful or interesting, please throw me a Kudos. Thanks!

Immer
Gentleman
Premium
join:2010-01-07
Evans, GA
kudos:8
Reviews:
·Comcast
said by mettachain:

Do you click your action bars a lot? If not, you could probably reduce the size of those buttons by 5, 10, maybe even 15% and still be able to see the GCD/CD of your abilities on there. If you use OmniCC like I do for cooldown text, the text will overlay smaller buttons no problem.

Even if you are a clicker... I'd still recommend scaling down the bars and removing padding between the action buttons. My Wife is a clicker, and we shrunk down her action bars to 70% of their normal size.
--
Guild leader of Pride and Ego
Good times with Great people in the Best way to spend $15/mo.

Intelligence is no substitute for Character.

JoelC707
Premium
Lanett, AL
Click for full size
How's this one look?
I click anything not on the main bar. what abilities these are depends on the toon but my "working" abilities that you use during a fight are on the main bar and are generally actuated with 1 to 8 or so. As for the bars, yeah I can adjust the size, columns (buttons), spacing, padding and overall scale.

I did shrink the dominoes XP/Rep bar but then I killed it to try and get used to x-perl's bars instead. I also turned back on x-perls buff display (there was some issue with it with the "extra" bar for DK runes, holy power, etc where that bar would interfere with the buffs) so let's see how this works.

cymraeg
Thread Killer
Premium
Dodge, NE
it looks cramped not cluttered but cramped what is your ui scale at, not resolution scale?

JoelC707
Premium
Lanett, AL
Not sure, never adjusted it so I assume 100%? Do you mean the scale for the bars or an overall scale somewhere?

cymraeg
Thread Killer
Premium
Dodge, NE
in the menu of wow, system button, you can change the entire scale of your ui, not the size of one particular addon, it changes how everything looks, default is 1.5 i believe i reduced mine to 1 and everything lines up better for my resolution and size of my monitor.
--
Hen Wlad Fy Nhadau!
"What happened in here?" " Seems to have been a bit of a squabble." "They're all dead!" " More of a tif then."

JoelC707
Premium
Lanett, AL

1 recommendation

Click for full size
Ahhh nice. I found the setting it was on "default". The issue I saw was that the 1.0 indicated, never changed as I moved the slider so I really don't know what I have it set to currently. I have it one notch above "low" and I kept going back and forth between one notch and two notches. Either is a major change from default and I like it for sure.

cymraeg
Thread Killer
Premium
Dodge, NE
ya see that looks less cramped

mettachain
Goblineer

Azeroth
reply to JoelC707
You know...you can probable move your Micro menu bar under your Recount frame and push your chat box down a nudge. You can also go into Omen3 and Recount options to recolor them to fit with your theme or whatever too.

Why do you need your Recount window so big? With Dominoes, do you have an option to move your Tooltip at all? Seems odd to have a tooltip in that position on your UI.
--

Immer
Gentleman
Premium
Evans, GA
Reviews:
·Comcast
said by mettachain:

With Dominoes, do you have an option to move your Tooltip at all

That's why I ended up downloading TipTac. It lets me move where all of the tooltips are anchored.

mettachain
Goblineer

Azeroth
ElvUI also has the option to move your tolltips, toasts, and achievement positions

Immer
Gentleman
Premium
Evans, GA
true, though if he is happy with his current setup overall, TipTac is a much smaller change to make.

mettachain
Goblineer

Azeroth
is the author updating tiptac now? i remember trying to use that addon before and it would always break trying to pull info on other character i had moused over.
--

Jobbie
Keep It Simple
Premium
join:2010-08-24
Mexico
tiptac still works and its being updated at least in Curse

Nick D
Premium
join:2010-02-04
Orange, CA

1 recommendation

reply to mettachain
The TipTacTalents lib (a common addition) is broken, but they added a Spec line to the core TipTac addon that works fine.

If you still have TTTalents installed, remove that.

JoelC707
Premium
Lanett, AL
reply to mettachain
The pet bar is in the bottom right corner so it would be above that but yeah I could probably move the menu bar there. That would be another change to get used to as I'm so used to it being where it is now. Not really going for a theme but it's good to know I can recolor them to match a theme if I want to.

I don't believe dominoes lets you move the tool tip and yeah I would prefer to either have recount in another spot or move the tool tip. i have recount so wide because of cross-realm naming adding on the server name. It makes the char name so long it collides with the count. Not really a bid deal but it bothered me enough to resize it. I could expand as needed and shrink it back down later too.

The achievement toast and realid broadcast/logon-off gets in the way too, or did. I'm not sure if it still does with the resizing and moving I've done. I should probably see if it still gets in the way before I go trying to solve something that doesn't need solving. LOL

I'm actually happy with my UI I think. I thought I was happy with it before and you guys showed me I can make it better. I started with Dominoes so it's all I know and to try and play without it is difficult for me to say the least. If I replaced it, it would have to be with something similar (which I believe many of the similar ones like bartender will do) as I do not like the stock bars.

Oh BTW, for dominoes, I have 10 total bars and I used to use all 10 in some form. I found it took up too much space and kept me from seeing what was right underneath me or clicking on things that were close to me as abilities were "on top" and I'd click them instead. I then started making a giant U shape and this helped but now I just use the first 5 bars. Bars 6-10 are specialty bars and are hidden. They become active and replicate down to bar 1 under certain circumstances (druid shapeshifting is my main use for it).

cymraeg
Thread Killer
Premium
Dodge, NE
the good thing about bar 4 is that it acts like the wow bars when shapeshifting, so youre standard druids spells on bar 1 then when shape shift bar changes to that specific form, so there is no need to have another bar,i use 4 bars total with bar 4, 1 and 2 are stacked then 3 and 4 are 6 buttons 2 rows high, and i have plenty of room for whatever i might want to do
--
Hen Wlad Fy Nhadau!
"What happened in here?" " Seems to have been a bit of a squabble." "They're all dead!" " More of a tif then."