Search similar:

uniqs
Dodge
Premium Member
join:2002-11-27

Dodge

Premium Member

Why is LG building Nexus phones

Didn't google buy motorola? Can't they just start building their own nexus phone going forward using motorla's hardware resources?

ArrayList
DevOps
Premium Member
join:2005-03-19
Mullica Hill, NJ

ArrayList

Premium Member

I dont' think Google bought the part of motorola that builds phones.

bobjohnson
Premium Member
join:2007-02-03
Spartanburg, SC

bobjohnson

Premium Member

said by ArrayList:

They bought mobility. Cable boxes, phones and frs radios and such. Just for the patents though I suppose because they definitely aren't using the companies assets for anything else so far.

morbo
Complete Your Transaction
join:2002-01-22

morbo

said by bobjohnson:

I suppose because they definitely aren't using the companies assets for anything else so far.

That's quite the assumption.

bobjohnson
Premium Member
join:2007-02-03
Spartanburg, SC

bobjohnson

Premium Member

Yes, it is. I'm sure there are things in the works but the Google owned Motorola has been business as usual so far. Motorola has been slow to market for some time now for pretty much everything so we'll see.
puck0114
join:2005-12-24
Portland, OR

1 recommendation

puck0114 to Dodge

to Dodge
Google is trying to walk a fine line with LG, HTC, Sony, Samsung, etc. Much of Android's success is because of the number of OEMs who have jumped on board with it. If Google pushes their own (or Motorola's devices) TOO much, those OEMs are going to start moving away from Android (probably to Windows Phone).

Ultimately I think what Google did with the Nexus is pretty brilliant. They've created a very cost effective product that will have limited advertising and won't be considered a huge threat by their OEM partners. If you want an LTE Android device, there are plenty of options out there from Samsung, Motorola, etc.

FFH5
Premium Member
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ

FFH5 to Dodge

Premium Member

to Dodge
said by Dodge:

Didn't google buy motorola? Can't they just start building their own nexus phone going forward using motorla's hardware resources?

Sure they can have Motorola build them and I am sure they will. But Google puts out to bid the building of their branded Nexus phones. LG must have come in with a good low bid.

Count Zero
Premium Member
join:2007-01-18
Milton, FL

Count Zero to ArrayList

Premium Member

to ArrayList
said by ArrayList:

They bought Motorola Mobility... That's exactly what they build.