DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix

Premium Member

[Business] SMC D3 problem

this is the 2nd time this has happened, I posted about it last time but never got any help and now its re-occurred.

the web interface stopped responding, thus breaking my monitoring of the RF stats.

Ito resolve it I had to reboot the SMC

any idea of why this happens and is there a newer better SMC yet?

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

NetFixer

Premium Member

One thing you may want to check is to make sure that the "Disable Gateway Smart Packet Detection" box is checked.

When I was using the SMCD3G-CCR, I found that when that box was unchecked, the router would sometimes lose its html interface (and/or just lock up period). If you have had reason to have a Comcast CSR poke around in your SMCD3G lately, they may have unchecked that box (that happened to me several times).

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix

Premium Member

I'll check when I get home, though I haven't called them in quite awhile.
derekivey
join:2006-03-30
San Jose, CA

derekivey to DarkLogix

to DarkLogix
I'm seeing this issue too. Web interface stops responding on 10.1.10.1 and rebooting the modem is the only fix I've found.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix

Premium Member

The 2 times its happened to me everything else still works, IE it keep routing but it kills the stats on my PRTG because the data can't be gathered and my ASP page times out.

I might enable e-mail alerts for when the "devices" are down.
delta4
join:2001-04-30
Maple Shade, NJ

delta4

Same thing at work. When the web interface won't load with 10.1.10.1 or the external IP a reboot is the only way to bring it back.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix to derekivey

Premium Member

to derekivey
Click for full size
Ok heres a print screen of that page

you said Smart packet should be disabled right?

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

2 edits

NetFixer

Premium Member

said by DarkLogix:

Ok heres a print screen of that page

you said Smart packet should be disabled right?

If that question was directed to me, then yes, the "Disable Gateway Smart Packet Detection" box should be checked (as you have it).

That so called "Smart Packet Detection" is in theory an anti DoS function, but my own testing revealed that it caused internal DoS problems itself by mistaking normal traffic as an attack and blocking traffic inside the router. It seemed to especially not like VPN and SIP/RTP traffic.

One of the symptoms I saw whenever that box was not checked was random disabling of the html admin interface.

IsaidWOT
@comcastbusiness.net

IsaidWOT to DarkLogix

Anon

to DarkLogix
We have this same problem. I was wondering if that fixed it for you.

Thanks!

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix

Premium Member

No I've had it happen 2 more times.

the time inbetween failures seems random, but I've since set PRTG to e-mail me when the CM monitor fails.
jasonki32
join:2002-05-18
Minneapolis, MN

jasonki32 to DarkLogix

to DarkLogix
I use to have the same problem, as it would happen every three days or so. I called the business tech support and I got a great tech. She changed some settings and I have not had any issues since. I know one thing for sure that was changed was the dns servers were set to static as to what else she changed I am not sure. Probably some settings under the msoadmin, which we do not have access to.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix

Premium Member

I guess I'll PM comcast steve

depster
join:2001-06-07
Grand Rapids, MI

depster

Comcast Steve is no longer with Comcast...

NetDog
Premium Member
join:2002-03-04
Hollywood, FL

NetDog to DarkLogix

Premium Member

to DarkLogix
Ping ComcastVic.. »ComcastVic

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix

Premium Member

Already PM'ed vic.

what happened to steve?

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
MVM
join:2001-09-01
El Dorado Hills, CA

pflog

MVM

said by DarkLogix:

Already PM'ed vic.

what happened to steve?

»A little birdie whispered....

JohnInSJ
Premium Member
join:2003-09-22
Aptos, CA

JohnInSJ to DarkLogix

Premium Member

to DarkLogix
Mine is stable since installed - never locks up (use mrtg to gather stats via curl call every 5 min...)

I am static IP with the thing in true static (dumb router) mode, it's not doing any dhcp (dhcp disabled, actually everything I can disable on it via the custadmin UI is disabled...)

Is there anything in the logs? Oh, wait, we don't get to see the logs. On our business class routers. That we rent. Grrr...

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
MVM
join:2001-09-01
El Dorado Hills, CA

pflog

MVM

said by JohnInSJ:

Is there anything in the logs? Oh, wait, we don't get to see the logs. On our business class routers. That we rent. Grrr...

Yeah I still think it's absurd that we can't see the logs or other diagnostic information that residential customers can see on their modems.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix to JohnInSJ

Premium Member

to JohnInSJ
said by JohnInSJ:

Mine is stable since installed - never locks up (use mrtg to gather stats via curl call every 5 min...)

I am static IP with the thing in true static (dumb router) mode, it's not doing any dhcp (dhcp disabled, actually everything I can disable on it via the custadmin UI is disabled...)

Same here

though I think my polling interval is a bit more frequent.
DarkLogix

DarkLogix

Premium Member

Well now I'm waiting for the issue to occur again so vic can see if she can see whats wrong.

though annoyingly now (was actually good before) is that it takes along time to re-occur.
DarkLogix

DarkLogix

Premium Member

Just happened again
DarkLogix

DarkLogix

Premium Member

Well I got an e-mail from my PRTG that the web monitor was down, so I IM'ed comcastvic and didn't get a reply but later looked and it had cleared up without me having to power cycle the modem.