uniqs
sil5
join:2007-06-30
ON

sil5 to TSI Marc

to TSI Marc

Re: New speeds Rogers cable - Teksavvy watch out

said by TSI Marc:

thanks for the heads up! first I hear about this.

something funny with their business model if that's the case..

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in

elwoodblues

Premium Member

said by sil5:

said by TSI Marc:

No that's Rogers, they don't reveal their secrets, this happened during the last "upgrade" where TSI ran out of bandwidth because of the unplanned upgrades by Rogers.

So a roughly 25% increase in download speed matched with a 300% increase in upload is going to put another dent into everyone's bandwidth forecasts.

I need to get a D3 modem my SB5100 has reached the end of it's life

creed3020
Premium Member
join:2006-04-26
Kitchener, ON

creed3020

Premium Member

Yeah if you want the new speeds a D3 modem is where you need to be at.

I'm so pumped for this announcement. I know us TSI users would probably see these speeds until early 2013 but knowing when it's coming is helpful for planning out a few things

TSI Marc
Premium Member
join:2006-06-23
Chatham, ON

TSI Marc to sil5

Premium Member

to sil5
said by sil5:

said by TSI Marc:

I suppose. with all the upgrades and DHCP issues we've seen... we could know that *something* was coming.

HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

Marc, can you inquire with Rogers when they plan to speedmatch the two tiers that they are providing on TPIA non aggregated?

Extreme: 35/3
Express: 25/2

neuromancer1
join:2007-01-22
York, ON

neuromancer1 to creed3020

to creed3020
said by creed3020:

People said this last time in the TSI forum and it wasn't true. I doubt it be requirement.

Teddy Boom
k kudos Received
Premium Member
join:2007-01-29
Toronto, ON

Teddy Boom

Premium Member

said by creed3020:

People said this last time in the TSI forum and it wasn't true. I doubt it be requirement.

Well, it isn't clear. D2 is theoretically capable of 2mbit upload (in fact 2.7mbit per this »docsis.org/node/69), and I know for sure you are right that they will allow 28/1 on D2 now. We don't know if Rogers will allow 2mbit upload on D2 modems though..

I might be jumping the gun.. D2 may still be worth considering for the budget minded on 25/2 service. Node congestion will mean that you won't get anywhere near 25mbit down during peak hours though.
bt
join:2009-02-26
canada

bt

said by Teddy Boom:

I might be jumping the gun.. D2 may still be worth considering for the budget minded on 25/2 service. Node congestion will mean that you won't get anywhere near 25mbit down during peak hours though.

Can't speak to sustained at those levels, but I speed-boost to 24mbit down on the 18/0.5 package on a D2 modem during peak hours.
34764170 (banned)
join:2007-09-06
Etobicoke, ON

34764170 (banned) to neuromancer1

to neuromancer1
said by neuromancer1:

said by creed3020:

Good luck getting the service to operate properly with a D2 modem even if they they would provision it.

BACONATOR26
Premium Member
join:2000-11-25
Nepean, ON

BACONATOR26 to sil5

Premium Member

to sil5
said by sil5:

said by TSI Marc:

Not really, their only legal obligation is filing the new tariffs with the CRTC which doesn't happen right away.

creed3020
Premium Member
join:2006-04-26
Kitchener, ON

creed3020 to Teddy Boom

Premium Member

to Teddy Boom
said by Teddy Boom:

said by creed3020:

Well, it isn't clear. D2 is theoretically capable of 2mbit upload (in fact 2.7mbit per this »docsis.org/node/69), and I know for sure you are right that they will allow 28/1 on D2 now. We don't know if Rogers will allow 2mbit upload on D2 modems though..

I would say that D2 modems are still applicable for the new Express tier but considering that there have been two speed bumps in the last two years how much life do these D2 modems realistically have left.

Surprisingly the competition between Bhell and Robbers is getting better in my eyes. We've seen new speeds rolled out by both incumbents in a tit-for-tat way. Each time one increases the other responds in one change or another.

The last thing we need to consider is what is the delta between theoretical speeds and real world speeds. If D2 modems can scale to 90% of the specification and we can get some solid proof of that when the new profiles come out, then we can make sure this hardware gets an extension on life and isn't unnecessarily trashed. One thing I try not to forget are all the random disconnect issues people are having. I just had another friend on TSI confirm they are having this issue with their SB5100 on the 28/1 plan. I referred him to you for a potential firmware flash.
mlord
join:2006-11-05
Kanata, ON

mlord

said by creed3020:

If D2 modems can scale to 90% of the specification and we can get some solid proof of that when the new profiles come out, then we can make sure this hardware gets an extension on life and isn't unnecessarily trashed.

The problem with D2 modems in a D3 world, is that they are very much slow cars in the fast lane, affecting (D3) throughput for everyone else, or at least very much complicating packet scheduling at the CMTS. It's easy to see why the operator might want to be rid of them.

Cheers

d4m1r
join:2011-08-25

d4m1r to HiVolt

to HiVolt
said by HiVolt:

Marc, can you inquire with Rogers when they plan to speedmatch the two tiers that they are providing on TPIA non aggregated?

No response to the above? :/

TSI Andre
Premium Member
join:2008-06-03
Chatham, ON

TSI Andre

Premium Member

said by d4m1r:

said by HiVolt:

No response to the above? :/

I believe we submitted an inquiry today to get a little more details
dustmaker
join:2011-03-14
L9T7C7

dustmaker

Any news on when these new speeds will be available?

TSI Andre
Premium Member
join:2008-06-03
Chatham, ON

TSI Andre

Premium Member

Not as of yet.
resa1983
Premium Member
join:2008-03-10
North York, ON

resa1983

Premium Member

Here's hoping the fact that Rogers was offering its own customers these upstream speed upgrades back in August/Sept 2011 for free without providing them to TPIA could get everyone the upgrades now.. They really need to order Rogers to provide them to all TPIA providers, and not just those on Agg.
The Mongoose
join:2010-01-05
Toronto, ON

The Mongoose

I'm not optimistic. I read Rogers' defense and while I agree it's bulls***, I'm worried there's enough there for the CRTC to find the excuse they'll be looking for to find for Rogers.

Just beneath the surface, Rogers is basically telling the CRTC that they've got two conflicting rules: The price-matching rules and the new tariffs already set for higher speed tiers. One way or the other, the logic goes, the CRTC will be violating one of its own rules, so it makes more sense to break the speed-match rule because the Tariffs are so neat and tidy and mathematical.

It's crap and Rogers is, as always, lying and obfuscating. But I'm not confident that they won't succeed.