spc
uniqs

msmisfit
join:2004-09-13
Atlanta, GA

msmisfit to clindner

to clindner

Re: [HSI] YouTube Videos Won't Load Completely

I thought my faithful WRT54G was working just fine, but found that after upgrading to a Docsis 3 modem I was getting intermittent drops. Replaced the router and my connection problems went away.

What router and modem do you have?
clindner
join:2001-01-21
Duluth, GA

clindner

said by msmisfit:

I've got a D-Link DI-634M and a Moto SB6121. I see jeh also had an older D-Link router as well.

Man, I hate to have to get a new router because of all the setup, but something really strange is going on for sure. I don't think we've experienced any other problems with any other sites, but I guess I'll give it a shot and see if that helps.

msmisfit
Atlanta, GA
ARRIS SB6121
Netgear WNDR3800

1 edit

msmisfit

Not that it matters, but I have a Moto SB6121 and a Netgear 3800. Although I've had very good luck with this combination so far, it's too short a time to really know... 6-8 mos.

Hope a new router will solve your issues.

Should have completed my thought above and said ... "to know if I would recommend this router.
kruser
Premium Member
join:2002-06-01
Eastern MO

kruser to clindner

Premium Member

to clindner
said by clindner:

said by msmisfit:

I've got a D-Link DI-634M and a Moto SB6121. I see jeh also had an older D-Link router as well.

Man, I hate to have to get a new router because of all the setup, but something really strange is going on for sure. I don't think we've experienced any other problems with any other sites, but I guess I'll give it a shot and see if that helps.

Before spending the money, hook a computer straight to the modem and power cycle the modem and then the computer so the computer pulls an IP from the modem.
Then try youtube. If it works, router is the cause most likely.
clindner
Duluth, GA

clindner

said by kruser:

Before spending the money, hook a computer straight to the modem and power cycle the modem and then the computer so the computer pulls an IP from the modem.
Then try youtube. If it works, router is the cause most likely.

I am doing that now, and yeah, it appears that it works just fine. As youtube seems to do, it will cache ahead only a certain amount, as has been discussed here in another thread. When on my router, it appears to never pick up and cache the rest as the video plays, whereas it is working fine connected directly to the modem.
whoaru99
join:2003-12-17

whoaru99

Not sure why it would help, but maybe try a hard reset/factory reset on the router. For whatever reason that sort of thing sometimes seems to shake loose some cobwebs.
clindner
Duluth, GA

clindner to msmisfit

to msmisfit
said by msmisfit:

Not that it matters, but I have a Moto SB6121 and a Netgear 3800. Although I've had very good luck with this combination so far, it's too short a time to really know... 6-8 mos.

Now I'm running the same setup. And yes, problem appears to be solved. Thanks for the tip!

msmisfit
Atlanta, GA

msmisfit

Since we're in the same location, I thought it might be useful to know some combinations that were working here.

Glad to hear it's working for you.