spc
Search similar:

uniqs
eschamp
join:2003-10-12
Columbus, NJ

eschamp

[STB] Two STBs are Dark After Power Outage Ends

I have a Cisco RNG200 and an SA4250. We had a power outage of several days, and after the power was restored, I cannot get either to turn on. On each, I pulled the power cord, waited 30 secs, and plugged in again. After a few hieroglyphics, I saw "boot" and then everything went dark.

Neither box responds to pressing its power button on the front panel.

Are they fried or just waiting for TV service to be restored?

Thanks.
tacitus8
join:2005-08-23
Ellicott City, MD

1 edit

tacitus8

I don't have either one of the boxes - but my SA8300 DVR appeared dead until the cable service came back on back after a week-long outage in June. So wait patiently - it is more likely that they are both fine than they died simultaneously. Good Luck.
eschamp
Columbus, NJ

eschamp

Thanks. Some of my neighbors are having the same experience.

Does pushing the Power button on the face of the STB require a connection to Comcast before the unit will respond?
tacitus8
join:2005-08-23
Ellicott City, MD

tacitus8 to eschamp

to eschamp
I think so ... there seem to be arguments about this on Motorola system but I do not remember being able to watch saved programs during my week long outage.
eschamp
Columbus, NJ

eschamp

Thanks. We'll see what tomorrow will bring. My wife can't wait!
Cablejim10875
join:2012-09-21
Bath, ME

Cablejim10875 to eschamp

to eschamp
Once the SA boxes lose power u can not watch the DVR until signal is going to converter. That's also a reason why they stay dark. Your plant area may still be down.
eschamp
Columbus, NJ

eschamp

One would expect that one could watch what was stored on one's DVR without needing a signal from Comcast!!
eschamp

eschamp

Comcast now alive. Both boxes are OK.

telcodad
MVM
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad to eschamp

MVM

to eschamp
I'm seeing the same thing right now with my Cisco RNG100 and RNG150 STBs. When I restore power to them (via my generator), their power indicators are not going on. Only my DTAs have a flashing indicator right now.

There is no cable TV/HSI/CDV service right now in our development, due to the loss of commercial power to feed the line amps and nodes. So I guess they will not light up until signal appears again on the cable.

[BTW - I'm back online now via my office, which finally regained power. ]

andyross
MVM
join:2003-05-04
Aurora, IL

andyross to eschamp

MVM

to eschamp
said by eschamp:

One would expect that one could watch what was stored on one's DVR without needing a signal from Comcast!!

It's probably media-company paranoia. It needs to check in occasionally to verify it's still authorized. On bootup, or after a long signal outage, it will deauthorize and not work until it can contact the server.

Basically, they don't want you taking your DVR, bringing it to a friend's house, and 'illegally' watching in an area that may not be authorized to air that material (like a blacked-out sports program.)
eschamp
Columbus, NJ

eschamp to telcodad

to telcodad
How are things in Lincroft?

telcodad
MVM
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad

MVM

Click for full size
Sandy damage
said by eschamp:

How are things in Lincroft?

While there was no flooding in our area (being inland and only receiving about an inch of rain), the winds from Sandy took down a large number of trees, and power lines and telephone/Comcast/FiOS cables with them.

The center of town had power restored by the weekend, but many of the residential developments (including mine) off the main road do not have power restored yet.

Above is a photo of a broken utility pole in our development. While JCP&L put in a new pole next to it last Friday, a "line crew" has not yet come to move the cables to it.
The Q
join:2008-06-26
Collegeville, PA

The Q to andyross

to andyross
said by andyross:

said by eschamp:

It's probably media-company paranoia. It needs to check in occasionally to verify it's still authorized. On bootup, or after a long signal outage, it will deauthorize and not work until it can contact the server.

Basically, they don't want you taking your DVR, bringing it to a friend's house, and 'illegally' watching in an area that may not be authorized to air that material (like a blacked-out sports program.)

or to a commercial account like a restaurant, bar or business where commercial rights are usually required...

Mike Wolf
join:2009-05-24
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf to eschamp

to eschamp
It sounds like the boxes are in standby mode waiting for an authorization signal from the headend at Comcast's office, as others have recommended just sit back and relax since as you've said other neighbors are experiencing the same thing. Glad your alright.
eschamp
Columbus, NJ

eschamp

All is well now., just in time to watch election results.

How are things in Beachwood?

andyross
MVM
join:2003-05-04
Aurora, IL

andyross to The Q

MVM

to The Q
said by The Q:

said by andyross:

said by eschamp:

or to a commercial account like a restaurant, bar or business where commercial rights are usually required...

In saying this, it may depend on just where you connect it, assuming a Comcast connection is available. If it's nearby, like the same town, it may still work. Even other towns may work, depending on how closely it checks where it's connecting from.

Mike Wolf
join:2009-05-24
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf to eschamp

to eschamp
well I'm stuck in Conneticut currently but from what I've been told there is still no power :/ But Comcast is issuing credit to everyone affected.