UHF
All static, all day, Forever
MVM
join:2002-05-24

1 edit

UHF to nitzan

MVM

to nitzan

Re: Back to worst-case-scenario to start with!

said by nitzan:

the problem is that CallCentric is using proprietary systems that make it hard and expensive for them.

I'm not sure of what CallCentric is using for a switch, but from what they've said in the past, it's carrier grade telecom switches (most likely Lucent), connected to an SS7 and most likely TDM network. That's not any more "proprietary" than an Asterisk server. More expensive to make redundant - definitely, I can't argue that point. Which one is better? When all hell breaks loose probably the Asterisk box!

Edit: this isn't meant as an attack on Nitzan on F9, just saying there's different ways to do things, and one isn't necessarily and better/worse than the other. They bot have advantages and disadvantages depending on the situation.
Terabit
join:2008-12-19

Terabit

said by UHF:

I'm not sure of what CallCentric is using for a switch, but from what they've said in the past, it's carrier grade telecom switches (most likely Lucent), connected to an SS7 and most likely TDM network. That's not any more "proprietary" than an Asterisk server. More expensive to make redundant - definitely, I can't argue that point. Which one is better? When all hell breaks loose probably the Asterisk box!

They're also doing their own switching and interconnecting with actual telecommunications networks. Whereas, these Asterix box providers are basically reselling services and using trunks wholesaled from other providers and are essentially tier 3 voip providers.

ropeguru
Premium Member
join:2001-01-25
Mechanicsville, VA

ropeguru to UHF

Premium Member

to UHF
said by UHF:

said by nitzan:

the problem is that CallCentric is using proprietary systems that make it hard and expensive for them.

What you have to understand though is that those systems are much more complicated. If it were as simple as you have stated, then why are all those Verizon CO's still down and no one has phone service? They should have a backup system on the other side of the country for all their interconnects.