uniqs

neuromancer1
join:2007-01-22
York, ON

neuromancer1 to creed3020

to creed3020

Re: New speeds Rogers cable - Teksavvy watch out

said by creed3020:

Yeah if you want the new speeds a D3 modem is where you need to be at.

People said this last time in the TSI forum and it wasn't true. I doubt it be requirement.

Teddy Boom
k kudos Received
Premium Member
join:2007-01-29
Toronto, ON

Teddy Boom

Premium Member

said by creed3020:

People said this last time in the TSI forum and it wasn't true. I doubt it be requirement.

Well, it isn't clear. D2 is theoretically capable of 2mbit upload (in fact 2.7mbit per this »docsis.org/node/69), and I know for sure you are right that they will allow 28/1 on D2 now. We don't know if Rogers will allow 2mbit upload on D2 modems though..

I might be jumping the gun.. D2 may still be worth considering for the budget minded on 25/2 service. Node congestion will mean that you won't get anywhere near 25mbit down during peak hours though.
bt
join:2009-02-26
canada

bt

said by Teddy Boom:

I might be jumping the gun.. D2 may still be worth considering for the budget minded on 25/2 service. Node congestion will mean that you won't get anywhere near 25mbit down during peak hours though.

Can't speak to sustained at those levels, but I speed-boost to 24mbit down on the 18/0.5 package on a D2 modem during peak hours.
34764170 (banned)
join:2007-09-06
Etobicoke, ON

34764170 (banned) to neuromancer1

to neuromancer1
said by neuromancer1:

said by creed3020:

Yeah if you want the new speeds a D3 modem is where you need to be at.

Good luck getting the service to operate properly with a D2 modem even if they they would provision it.

creed3020
Premium Member
join:2006-04-26
Kitchener, ON

creed3020 to Teddy Boom

Premium Member

to Teddy Boom
said by Teddy Boom:

said by creed3020:

Well, it isn't clear. D2 is theoretically capable of 2mbit upload (in fact 2.7mbit per this »docsis.org/node/69), and I know for sure you are right that they will allow 28/1 on D2 now. We don't know if Rogers will allow 2mbit upload on D2 modems though..

I would say that D2 modems are still applicable for the new Express tier but considering that there have been two speed bumps in the last two years how much life do these D2 modems realistically have left.

Surprisingly the competition between Bhell and Robbers is getting better in my eyes. We've seen new speeds rolled out by both incumbents in a tit-for-tat way. Each time one increases the other responds in one change or another.

The last thing we need to consider is what is the delta between theoretical speeds and real world speeds. If D2 modems can scale to 90% of the specification and we can get some solid proof of that when the new profiles come out, then we can make sure this hardware gets an extension on life and isn't unnecessarily trashed. One thing I try not to forget are all the random disconnect issues people are having. I just had another friend on TSI confirm they are having this issue with their SB5100 on the 28/1 plan. I referred him to you for a potential firmware flash.
mlord
join:2006-11-05
Kanata, ON

mlord

said by creed3020:

If D2 modems can scale to 90% of the specification and we can get some solid proof of that when the new profiles come out, then we can make sure this hardware gets an extension on life and isn't unnecessarily trashed.

The problem with D2 modems in a D3 world, is that they are very much slow cars in the fast lane, affecting (D3) throughput for everyone else, or at least very much complicating packet scheduling at the CMTS. It's easy to see why the operator might want to be rid of them.

Cheers