how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

dfs4

join:2012-11-01
reply to bt

Re: Which ISP

Yeah I asked and he said the DSL would be the same with activation fee and modem fee and I don't have a dsl modem. It is a webstar(DPC2100R2) cable modem.

jasmo34

join:2008-03-20
London, ON
said by dfs4:

Yeah I asked and he said the DSL would be the same with activation fee and modem fee and I don't have a dsl modem. It is a webstar(DPC2100R2) cable modem.

Well, a DSL modem can be had for $25, and Start and EBox charge $0 for 6M DSL installation. But, then you would be into the Dry Loop Activation and DryLoop Monthly Fees. Cable 6 from TSI should be fine...

But, just a heads up on that cable modem you just bought, for $75 (+ $10 shipping). I assume it is the DCM425.

I believe that is an older cable modem. It may not be 'ideal' for any cable plans higher than 6M; especially now that Rogers has leaked news about upcoming speed increases, and the next highest plan above 6M will soon be 25/2.

So, just as your Webstar is no longer usable, the 425 may have a limited future too. It may work at higher speeds, but it may not deliver full speed on a 25/2 plan, especially in prime time, in 'congested areas'.

I would seriously consider an upgrade to a DOCSIS 3 modem, if it is within your budget. If you will be staying at 6M, it is fine.

Hopefully some advice will be forthcoming from others more knowledgable about cable modems than I am...