share rss forum feed

robbin
Premium,MVM
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX
kudos:1
reply to alkizmo

Re: Generator doesn't work with Power Vent Hot Water Heater

I am talking about human life. What you recommended provides no safety. It is dangerous.

No, it cannot happen to the same degree with utility power if the house is less than 30 years old. They have GFCI protection on at least some circuits. You have both a baby and inlaws from out of the country in your home. Would you want either of them exposed to the shock hazard I have described? Put another way, if your house had no GFCIs in either the kitchen or the bathroom, would you feel comfortable with your family's safety?

itguy05

join:2005-06-17
Carlisle, PA

said by robbin:

Put another way, if your house had no GFCIs in either the kitchen or the bathroom, would you feel comfortable with your family's safety?

Yup. Why? Cause when I grew up in the 70's and 80's there were no GFCIs in the kitchen or bathroom. You learned real quick to be careful with electricity. May sound harsh but you could call it survival of the fittest.

Even used some home brew extension cords which were some heavy gauge wire and a steel box with a socket in the end. All the while using a 3 prong "cheater" adapter.

robbin
Premium,MVM
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX
kudos:1

said by itguy05:

May sound harsh but you could call it survival of the fittest

That's what you think we do here -- cull the herd?

djrobx
Premium
join:2000-05-31
Valencia, CA
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·VOIPO
reply to itguy05

said by itguy05:

said by robbin:

Put another way, if your house had no GFCIs in either the kitchen or the bathroom, would you feel comfortable with your family's safety?

Yup. Why? Cause when I grew up in the 70's and 80's there were no GFCIs in the kitchen or bathroom. You learned real quick to be careful with electricity. May sound harsh but you could call it survival of the fittest.

Even used some home brew extension cords which were some heavy gauge wire and a steel box with a socket in the end. All the while using a 3 prong "cheater" adapter.

This.

The funniest part is that we had tons of those cheater adapters, because some brainiac thought it was a good idea to replace a good number of our home's three prong outlets with two-prong child safety plugs. *Smacks forehead*. They were spring loaded. You'd have to plug in sideways, twist 90 degrees, then fully insert.

I only recently cleaned up most of this mess because we sold the home. Replaced them with proper 3 prong outlets and verified them with a tester, and installed GFCIs in the bathrooms, kitchen, and garage.
--
AT&T U-Hearse - RIP Unlimited Internet 1995-2011
Rethink Billable.