share rss forum feed

neonhomer
KK4BFN
Premium
join:2004-01-27
Edgewater, FL

[Internet] Arguing with my modem...

Click for full size
Been losing Internet. At first, I thought it was the router dropping out, but I noticed that the wireless connections to the router remain, the router just loses the Internet. My router is a bit long in the tooth, so I swap it out. No love... So I go and check the modem control panel. Find a bunch of "Booting the modem" commands for just one day. Call BHN, and they bring a "new" modem out. All is good for a couple days or so, then it starts acting up again.

Before I go and replace my router, I want to make sure it's not the modem or something on BHN's end.

Above is the recent modem log. What is this thing doing? Is it the modem? Or the connection? The tech that was here was quick to pass off that it was my equipment, but he "replaced the modem anyway".

Whaddya think?
--
"F is for Fire that burns down the whole town...
U is for Uranium...... Bombs...
N is for NO SURVIVORS!!!!!" Sheldon Plankton

tim tim tim

join:2010-08-14
Lutz, FL
kudos:2

whats the signal look like?

neonhomer
KK4BFN
Premium
Edgewater, FL

Here is a snapsnot of the screen.. (A lot easier than typing it all out.)

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
join:2006-02-16
Saint Petersburg, FL
kudos:140
reply to neonhomer

Shoot me a direct forums with your IP address

neonhomer
KK4BFN
Premium
Edgewater, FL

FYI for those following the thread...

BHN came and swapped the modem. Still having the issue...

Spoke to BHNTechXpert, another appt scheduled, and the modem, power supply, and modem to router cable replaced. Followed up with BHN - Upon request of BHNTechXpert, modem is to be replaced with a Docsis 3 modem for better performance and to alleviate problem.

Even though my router is new (Well, NOS), after talking with the IT Dept at my company, I will probably be replacing it with a new one, and will be going with either the Asus RTN56U or the RTN66U.. haven't decided yet.
--
"F is for Fire that burns down the whole town...
U is for Uranium...... Bombs...
N is for NO SURVIVORS!!!!!" Sheldon Plankton

Keep Calm and Carry On

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to neonhomer

Stay away from the 66 for now....still buggy....consider the the 56 or even the 65 which uses the same chipset but happens to be 30 more than the 56.

neonhomer
KK4BFN
Premium
Edgewater, FL

I'm digging the USB ports... thinking two 2TB drives....

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to neonhomer

Both devices have that actually....as with most router based NAS setups it takes a bit getting used to. But it is much improved with the latest firmware revs.

neonhomer
KK4BFN
Premium
Edgewater, FL

I'm also noticing that the 56 doesn't have external antennas. The 66 does.... Grrrr.

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
Saint Petersburg, FL
reply to neonhomer

Yea but honestly you won't even notice...this little thing transmits all over the place.