Premium
join:2009-06-15
START Today!
kudos:7

4 edits

1 recommendation

SERVER & GENERATOR LOCATIONS

Greetings, folks !

After what just happened to CallCentric in its NYC operations (and what VOIP.MS managed to avoid in theirs), this thread is intended to become a ONE-STOP SUMMARY of the scattered info about VoIP providers' server locations and failover redundancy plans, some of which I have seen posted in various other recent threads here (often for the first time), plus info about additional VoIP providers of which I did not know before.

Suggested Format :

Company Name : City(s) and Country(s) of SIP server location(s) - whether or not failover is said to be automatic (more details if NOT), and whether DNS SRV is involved - whether any Power Backup Generators are present there, or only Battery UPS - Name of City where WEBSITE with user portal is located - City where 'Contact Us' is handled

I would also like this thread to be an INFO ONLY thread please, with little discussion, except if someone has posted incorrect info.

Direct Links are welcome to specific posts in other threads, or to external related web pages - I may offer a few of these myself.

"This should be a fairly short thread." ( Yes, I realize of course that those are 'Famous Words'. )

= = = = = =

RELATED THREAD(s) :

»WHO is UP-DOWN during Sandy

The notorious 109-page omnibus CallCentric thread : »CallCentric tech issues today?

NEWS ARTICLE(s) :

»arstechnica.com/information-tech···outages/

= = = = = = = = =

EDIT : I RENAMED this thread on Nov 6th - the last day that the system would let me - and believe that the new name explains better what is inside.

Davesnothere
No-BHELL-ity DOES have its Advantages
Premium
START Today!

4 edits

Re: Where are the SERVERS ? - Summary

Example of format :

CallCentric : New York City - Multiple servers at ONE address - Automatic failover among these servers, done by DNS SRV - Short term Battery Backup ONLY - Web Site hosted in SAME city, possibly at same address.

Additional NOTES about NYC bylaws regarding Power Backup GENERATORS :
»Re: WHO is UP-DOWN during Sandy

nitzan
Premium,VIP
join:2008-02-27
kudos:8

1 recommendation

reply to Davesnothere

Future Nine: Miami, FL and Amsterdam, The Netherlands - Automatic failover done by DNS A records - Full-scale UPS and generator backup in both locations (professional data centers) - Website/user portal located in Miami, FL but can be failed over manually to Amsterdam if it's ever needed

Cheap Voip Inc: Nuremberg, Germany - Failover NOT implemented yet but will be in the near future (US POP coming soon) - Full-scale UPS and generator backup (professional data center) - Website/portal in same location for now

OmagicQ
Posting in a thread near you

join:2003-10-23
Bakersfield, CA
kudos:1

1 recommendation

reply to Davesnothere

I am not an employee of voip.ms but according to their site they have servers in:

Houston, TX
Dallas, TX
Los Angeles, CA
New York, NY
Atlanta, GA
Chicago, IL
Seattle, WA
Tampa, FL
London, UK
Montreal, QC
Toronto, ON

The main site is/was hosted in New York.
--
...Who, What, When, Where, How... Why? Why Not?

Davesnothere
Premium
START Today!

4 edits

1 recommendation

reply to Davesnothere

Thank You for the additions !

AFAIK, Failover for VOIP.MS can be done manually by the customer by changing the setups in the web portal and customer's ATA, and apparently also manually by DNS 'A' reassignment of individual server locations' traffic by the company if required, such as during the recent Sandystorm which hit NYC, and they have a diesel generator and UPS backup at least in the NYC data centre.

= = = = = = = = =

CallWithUs (link added Nov 3)

CWU is apparently based in Florida, but servers are :

»Re: WHO is UP-DOWN during Sandy

= = = = = = = = =

ANVEO is apparently based in Philadelphia, PA - SIP Servers are in Dallas TX USA, Montreal Canada, and Nuremberg Germany.

Automatic Failover is done by DNS SRV - You choose your Primary SIP Server both in your ATA (server names) as well as in their portal in a tab called 'Geo POP', which is found when you go : Phone Numbers > Manage Phone Numbers > Edit (configurable for each phone number)

Not sure of their power protections, but if the DNS SRV is enabled at your device and it functions as stated, then that is a large part of a working solution.

The most recently revised device setup screenshot on their website is for PAP2T, which shows the DNS SRV settings, and a link back to a DSLR thread for explanation.

Anveo has just added (Oct 30th) a STATUS UPDATE BAR inside of their portal, including a link to a further page for more details.

Thanks Arne, for the extra info immediately below.

Arne Bolen
Happy Anveo customer
Premium
join:2009-06-21
Cyberspace
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Anveo
·voip.ms

1 edit

1 recommendation

ANVEO

Anveo provides Geo. Redundant SIP Servers (POPs) in USA, Canada and Germany.

Anveo infrastructure is hosted in 4 Tier-1 data centers:

• Softlayer, Dallas, USA
• Colo4, Dallas, USA
• Cologix, Montreal, Canada
• Hetzner, Nuremberg, Germany

All data centers are equipped with uninterruptible power supply (UPS) units and generator backup.

Anveo infrastructure was designed from the beginning to support failover. That allows Anveo to effectively load balance/failover resources across the World.

Their carrier has automated SIP Monitoring in place which provides automatic failover at carrier level as well.

Anveo users can register their ATAs/IP Phones with ANY Anveo POP (Point of Presence) while routing their Anveo phone numbers through a different Anveo POP and still be able to make/receive calls.

Anveo Voicemail is not tied to any particular POP and users will NOT lose access to their voicemails when switching between Anveo POPs.

Plus Anveo supports DNS_SRV which allow ATAs to automatically failover between POPs without loosing any service.
--
My VoIP News

OTIS3

join:2011-09-29
reply to Davesnothere

Re: Where are the SERVERS ? - Summary

Teksavvy TekTalk : Toronto - Multiple servers at one address. Has UPS and generators. Web portal at same address.

»TekTalk Business Continuity?

dcurrey
Premium
join:2004-06-29
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·Cincinnati Bell
·ViaTalk

1 edit
reply to Davesnothere

Here is what I know about Viatalk

Address:
Clifton Park, NY

Sip Servers that I still know of are: these maybe out of date. Viatalk has a nasty habit of moving them around.

Chicago
Los Angeles
Houston
New York
Datacenter detail can be found at »www.vtinside.com/infrastructure.html

Use DNS SRV records.

XCOM
digitalnUll
Premium
join:2002-06-10
Spring, TX
reply to Davesnothere

Awesome thread!
+1
--
[nUll@dcypher ~]$

kaila

join:2000-10-11
Lincolnshire, IL
reply to Davesnothere

Voxbeam: Main office in Orlando FL, European office in Sheffield, UK.
SIP server locations: Chantilly, VA & Amsterdam, Netherlands. DNS A record failover.

Davesnothere
Premium
START Today!

4 edits
reply to XCOM

said by XCOM:

Awesome thread!
+1

Thanks !

I realize that some were covered in the omnibus CallCentric thread and in some cases are not in here, but it's getting so that even I am becoming afraid to look in THERE anymore.

Plus, some providers of which I've never even HEARD are being posted HERE.

= = = = = = =

AND, some are yet to come :

AcroVoice - BELOW
CallWithUs - ABOVE
Vitelity - BELOW (Page 2) - »Re: Where are the SERVERS ? - Summary
Flowroute - BELOW
FreePhoneLine
Magic Jack
= = = = = = =

VOIPo : »Re: WHO is UP-DOWN during Sandy and
»Re: Where are the SERVERS ? - Summary

Improcom : »Re: WHO is UP-DOWN during Sandy

= = = = = = =

SOME MORE INFO about several providers' servers' locations :

»Re: CC Disaster

= = = = = = =

Please continue, folks....

= = = = = = =

josephf

join:2009-04-26
reply to Davesnothere

Is there any benefit to choosing a VoIP provider based on where their server is located?

Trev
IP Telephony Addict
Premium
join:2009-06-29
Victoria, BC
kudos:6

1 recommendation

said by josephf:

Is there any benefit to choosing a VoIP provider based on where their server is located?

Not as much as the community here seems to believe.
--
Wondering what I do? Find out at »www.digitalcon.ca
Get your Obihai ATA in Canada.

dcurrey
Premium
join:2004-06-29
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·Cincinnati Bell
·ViaTalk
reply to josephf

Back when I started voip I had Packet 8 and they are located in San Jose (I think) I am in Ohio. Had no real problems. Ping came back at around 90ms.

Other providers I have used have had sip servers much closer to me but again no real difference.

Also another wild card is do they proxy the audio stream or dump it to a local gateway. Sorry not sure of correct terminology.

I think having multiple servers geography located for fall over is more important than getting a server local to you.

Trev
IP Telephony Addict
Premium
join:2009-06-29
Victoria, BC
kudos:6
reply to Davesnothere

AcroVoice: Victoria and Montreal. Failover is handled by a variety of ways depending on what kind of service the customer has. Contingency plans are in place to recover rapidly after a complete data centre loss without any action from the end user.

The primary facility is in Victoria which has UPS and generator facilities. There are 72 hours of fuel on-site with arrangements for a helicopter to deliver additional fuel if the roads cannot be used by fuel trucks in the event of an earthquake. In addition to ground-based fibre optics, a wireless link is part of the connectivity redundancy plan.

The secondary facility in Montreal has multiple fibre optic links for connectivity and has UPS and generators on-site. I am not sure of their refueling arrangements, but our internal plan is to switch all users to Victoria in the event of an outage at this facility.
--
Wondering what I do? Find out at »www.digitalcon.ca
Get your Obihai ATA in Canada.

gweidenh

join:2002-05-18
Houston, TX
kudos:3

1 recommendation

Just a note that just because a service only returns one result when doing an NSLOOKUP doesnt mean they dont have site redundancy.

A perfect example of this is OnSIP. OnSIP only returns one result to a DNS query... however they actually have facilities on both the East and West Coast. They return the result that they want you to connect on. If that site were to go down, they would change the DNS response on the fly.

I use three providers regularly.

Sipgate
To my knowledge, they only run a single site out of San Fran.
Supports DNS SRV

Flowroute
Has redundant sites in Nevada and Los Angeles
Supports DNS SRV

Onsip
Has redundant sites in New York and Los Angeles
Supports DNS SRV
*Allows domain migration

*Onsip has a very cool feature that allows you to use your own domain as your SIP address. You simple set a DNS SRV record via your domain manager to point _sip._udp. requests at port 5060 to sip.onsip.com and you can create your own users such as Bob@example.com

horelcool

join:2012-11-02
reply to Davesnothere

first of all,
there is no such thing like the location server
could be anything inquired for call routing.
integrated with outbound proxies
integrated with inbound proxies
infrastructure call routing server
stand alone back end server

The BSG supports DNS to resolve SIP Uniform Resource Identifiers (URIs) into the IP address, port, and transport protocol of the next-hop SIP server for new transaction requests that it receives. This feature complies with RFC 3263, Session Initiation Protocol (SIP): Locating SIP Servers.

w1ve
Premium
join:2007-12-28
Hancock, NH

1 recommendation

reply to Davesnothere

said by Davesnothere:

Thank You for the additions !

AFAIK, Failover for VOIP.MS can be done manually by the customer by changing the setups in the web portal and customer's ATA, and apparently also manually by DNS 'A' reassignment of individual server locations' traffic by the company if required, such as during the recent Sandystorm which hit NYC, and they have a diesel generator and UPS backup at least in the NYC data centre.

Thanks Arne, for the further details immediately below.

Actually, voip.ms keeps images of each site, and can bring any site up anywhere by using BGP. So, newyork.voip.ms can be rerouted to come up in a server in LA -- without DNS changes.
--
VoIP Geek/Customer of voip.ms, vitelity, flowroute, callcentric, localphone, didforsale, voicemeup among others/Asterisk-PIAF user/FreeSwitch app developer/Consulting

espaeth
Digital Plumber
Premium,MVM
join:2001-04-21
Minneapolis, MN
kudos:2

said by w1ve:

Actually, voip.ms keeps images of each site, and can bring any site up anywhere by using BGP. So, newyork.voip.ms can be rerouted to come up in a server in LA -- without DNS changes.

At the risk of being labeled a voip.ms hater for correcting this, actually what you've stated here isn't true for them.

Their servers are in the middle of shared address space advertised by their hosting suppliers. The smallest route that will be accepted on the public Internet is a /24, so for that to ever happen all other server customers on those subnets would have to move facilities with them.

They can recover using DNS as was originally stated, and that is a perfectly valid recovery method that is used by nearly every company in the industry from Amazon to Zappos. While maintaining the IP address does present benefits for things like firewall rules, it presents complications with concurrent operations and testing failover scenarios that ultimately make the option LESS reliable than simple DNS failover.

w1ve
Premium
join:2007-12-28
Hancock, NH

Well, I'm NOT a networking expert, so excuse my ignorance on my statement -- it was based on what some of the voip.ms team has stated. But I do know VoIP well. 3+ years with voip.ms without any real issues. 99% of the time on the NYC server, the rest on the LA server.
--
VoIP Geek/Customer of voip.ms, vitelity, flowroute, callcentric, localphone, didforsale, voicemeup among others/Asterisk-PIAF user/FreeSwitch app developer/Consulting

espaeth
Digital Plumber
Premium,MVM
Minneapolis, MN

1 edit

1 recommendation

reply to Davesnothere

Vitelity -- multiple facilities in the Denver area, primary facility in Englewood is owned by the company, has direct carrier interconnects with XO, Level(3)/GlobalCrossing, Paetec, and PacWest. Backup power provided by UPS and generator. There is no geographic redundancy for core call processing functions. Facility details: »www.freshnews.com/news/554904/vi···atforms-

VOIPo -- operates on server equipment supplied from Softlayer in their Dallas and Washington DC locations. Specifics for each datacenter can be found at: »www.softlayer.com/about/datacenters/dallas
Primary call delivery is via SIP from their CLEC vendors, so automated failover (via DNS) is performed between their Dallas and Washington DC infrastructure.

sokhapkin
Premium
join:2003-05-08
Cape Coral, FL
reply to Davesnothere

What is the point of this thread? Where is the summary?

Davesnothere
Premium
START Today!

4 edits

1 recommendation

said by sokhapkin:

What is the point of this thread? Where is the summary?

Thanks for dropping in.

After what just happened to CallCentric in its NYC operations (and what VOIP.MS managed to avoid in theirs), this short thread is intended to become a ONE-STOP SUMMARY of the scattered info about VoIP providers' server locations and failover redundancy plans, some of which I have seen posted in various other recent threads here (often for the first time), plus info about additional VoIP providers of which I did not know before.

Therefore I would be both pleased and honoured if you would post the info for CallWithUs.

sokhapkin
Premium
join:2003-05-08
Cape Coral, FL

1 recommendation

Good. Where is the URL of the summary?
--
»www.callwithus.com

VexorgTR

join:2012-08-27
Sheffield Lake, OH
kudos:1
reply to Davesnothere

Appia:
Traverse City MI,
Chicago, IL

espaeth
Digital Plumber
Premium,MVM
Minneapolis, MN

1 recommendation

reply to Davesnothere

said by Davesnothere:

this thread itself is supposed to become a summary of all of the scattered info about VoIP providers' servers and of their redundancy plans

Can you edit your first post in the thread so that all the info is consolidated there, rather than having to scan through the thread?

hardly
Premium
join:2004-02-10
USA
reply to espaeth

said by espaeth:

Vitelity -- multiple facilities in the Denver area, primary facility in Englewood is owned by the company, has direct carrier interconnects with XO, Level(3)/GlobalCrossing, Paetec, and PacWest. Backup power provided by UPS and generator. There is no geographic redundancy for core call processing functions. Facility details: »www.freshnews.com/news/554904/vi···atforms-

It sticks in the back of my mind that Vitelity is one of voip.ms DID suppliers. Is that correct?

User834

join:2012-10-31
Columbus, OH

1 edit

2 recommendations

reply to Davesnothere

I think counting and listing server locations is based on a noble idea, but not likely to capture or characterize the systems in a meaningful way to customers.

Customers are interested in the reliability and availability of the services they've purchased. Let's begin with two simple definitions so we're all talking the same language.

Reliability: How often I can expect something to fail (or be unavailable) in a specified period of time.

Availability: What percentage of time I can expect something to be working. The standard availability formula is:
availability = uptime / (uptime + downtime)

Those are not two terms for the same thing. Something that fails 10 times a year for one minute each time has the same expected availability as another thing that fails once per year, but is out for 10 minutes. Their reliability is different, though.

VoIP customers are usually primarily interested in the reliability and availability of three things:

1. The ability to place outgoing calls from my phone.

2. The ability to receive incoming calls to my DID.

3. The ability to provision or make changes to account account/service.

There are other things, but those are the big three. Different customers will put them in different order or place different priorities on them based on their personal or business needs.

A server failure (or any other failure) may affect all of the services I'm interested in or just a subset. There are many failure modes in a distributed architecture.

The number and location of servers are just two of many factors contributing to the reliability and availability of customer purchased services. The design of the servers themselves, the architecture of the overall solution, and the availability of repair/correction staff are among a long list of other factors. Then you have to add in the expected reliability and availability of elements outside of the provider's direct control, such as physical CLEC connections and interconnecting IP networks.

Unfortunately, the detailed data necessary to estimate the expected availability of purchased services isn't readily available, so we're left with personal experience and that of others (word of mouth, reviews, forum info, etc.).

A typical VoIP provider will use several different kinds of servers to perform the various functions. It's unlikely any are using the same physical servers to host their web pages and provisioning as their SIP proxy servers. It's possible to have one web server and numerous SIP proxy servers scattered around or vice versa, although neither configuration makes much practical sense. The point is counting something as generic as "servers" doesn't tell you much about the expected reliability or availability of your DID line.

w8sdz

join:2001-05-21
Port Orange, FL

2 recommendations

said by User834:

VoIP customers are usually primarily interested in the reliability and availability of three things:

1. The ability to place outgoing calls from my phone.

2. The ability to receive incoming calls to my DID.

3. The ability to provision or make changes to account account/service.

The bottom line is: does the provider have a disaster recovery plan? Unfortunately Callcentric does not.

Think about this: What would happen if a natural or man-made disaster totally destroyed your provider's central operation.

One example of a good recovery plan is Anveo which has three data centers, widely separated in three different countries.

Your standard formula does't work when a single-site provider is destroyed.

--
73 de w8sdz - sip:w8sdz@getonsip.com - Google+: »plus.google.com/+w8sdz

Davesnothere
Premium
START Today!

2 edits
reply to sokhapkin

said by sokhapkin:

Good. Where is the URL of the summary?

I'm not sure what you are asking.

This thread IS the summary of what I have been able to find elsewhere, with contributions from other folks too, hopefully including yourself.

You are already here : »SERVER & GENERATOR LOCATIONS

Your website URL is helpful and appreciated, but I'm trying to only put the info about server locations and redundancy plans, and not other details of functions and features.