join:2000-11-12
Milford, NH
·Consolidated Com..
·Republic Wireless
·Hollis Hosting

tschmidt to Hayward0

MVM

to Hayward0

Re: why does most of the broadband internet has slow upload?

said by Hayward0:

But DSL was not widely deployed until around 2000, in fact this site only came about in 1998 as I recall... with a very small user base until again about 2000.

Exactly my point.

ISDN never became mainstream. The Telcos grudging re-purposed DSL to complete with Cable and gave up on ISDN.

/tom

Hayward0
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium Member
join:2000-07-13
Key West, FL

Hayward0

Premium Member

OK but actually other than maybe major metro areas Cable HSI was many years behind DSL.

Wily_One
Premium Member
join:2002-11-24
San Jose, CA

1 recommendation

Wily_One to tschmidt

Premium Member

to tschmidt
Ironically, I actually had ISDN to my house circa 2000-2001, and used it to get to the Internet. (128 Kbps rocked for Half-Life Deathmatch! Especially when everyone else was on dial-up... )

Getting back on topic, while expensive, ISDN was symmetric at least.

Draiman
Let me see those devil horns in the sky
join:2012-06-01
Kill Devil Hills, NC

1 recommendation

Draiman to tschmidt

to tschmidt
said by tschmidt:

said by Hayward0:

But DSL was not widely deployed until around 2000, in fact this site only came about in 1998 as I recall... with a very small user base until again about 2000.

Exactly my point.

ISDN never became mainstream. The Telcos grudging re-purposed DSL to complete with Cable and gave up on ISDN.

/tom

ISDN never became mainstream for CONSUMERS. It was extremely popular and mainstream for business.

Hayward0
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium Member
join:2000-07-13
Key West, FL

Hayward0

Premium Member

And there was also SDSL (same speed up/dn) but doesn't seem to be offered to consumers anymore, though may still be an option for business accounts where there is the seen need for large upload bandwidth for video conferencing, biz file exchange, etc.