spc
uniqs

Patchouly
@cgocable.net

Patchouly to Gone

Anon

to Gone

Re: bell media channels launching in hd oct 4

Just an update, sadly, similar to tedh's story. I called Cogeco, specifically asking about Discovery HD. At first he said I should be getting the channels as he knows several regions that already have it and Burlington usually gets new channels, first. Then, after speaking to his supervisor, he informed me that Burlington doesn't have that channel yet. When I asked him when we might be getting it, he said there is no indication of the channel being added in the imminent future, but reassured me that it would happen, eventually.

Gone
Premium Member
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

Saying Burlington gets new channels first is a misnomer. They don't have priority over anywhere else. It's all based on what area has been rebuilt at one time and what capacity is available when those channels are added to the system. If the core of Burlington hasn't been rebuilt, they're not going to be getting new channels until the capacity is there for them. That capacity will only become available either through a rebuild or through other ways to free up space.
MysticGuitar
join:2012-04-12
Waterdown, ON

MysticGuitar

Still don't have Space HD. Called Cogeco, and the first tech simply said they didn't have it, and had no plans on getting it.
I hung up out of anger, as that just wasn't right.
Called again five minutes later, had a polite woman tell me that the channels were in a queue, and were being activated by region. This one makes more sense, but still didn't help me at all.
So, I asked when these channels might be available, and asked why we got a few HD channels, but not the others. She replied with your usual "I don't know" garbage, which was spread out into a lengthy explanation about everything and nothing. Not sure if they get paid to keep us on the line for as long as possible, but if they do, I probably just contributed a large sum of her paycheck. Lol.

Not sure why I stayed and listened. I guess a part of me just wanted to wait and see if she would say anything useful at all, rather than just going around into a complicated explanation that doesn't actually explain anything. If I recall correctly, she started to even talk about the weather, as if it had some kind of significance to our conversation.

I was honestly dumbfounded by whole thing, and thought I was given an actual answer. Took me about five minutes after hanging up to replay the conversation again, and realized she never gave me an ETA as to when the channels would be available.. So, I called them, again.
This time, I was once again introduced to an idiot who claimed that Cogeco wasn't getting these channels. That's when I had enough, and just hung up.

Now, Cogeco's having problems with their On Demand. Can't rent or watch anything. I'm hesitant to call them, as it's really just a giant hassle, as they're going to just end up saying it's a problem on my end, and to troubleshoot. Last time I called, they instructed me to unplug my box and wait, then plug it back in and see if it works. When it didn't, they actually had the nerve to say I was doing it wrong... Yeah, I totally didn't know how to unplug a freaking wire... not sure how you can even mess something like that up. :|

So yeah, needless to say, when I move to Toronto next year, I'm ditching every single reference to Cogeco, and never looking back. This is just too insane.

However, since I'm still interested in watching Space HD before the world ends, can anyone please provide some form of insight as to what the hell is going on? Is this channel available? Where is it?

Thanks, and I'm sorry for my little mini rant. I'm just so fed up with all of this crap. If I could switch right now, I would. Unfortunately, it's Cogeco or nothing.

dillyhammer
START me up
Premium Member
join:2010-01-09
Scarborough, ON

dillyhammer

Premium Member

said by MysticGuitar:

However, since I'm still interested in watching Space HD before the world ends, can anyone please provide some form of insight as to what the hell is going on? Is this channel available? Where is it?

Shaw Direct.

Space HD awesomeness.

Mike
robman50
join:2010-12-14

robman50

said by dillyhammer:

said by MysticGuitar:

Shaw Direct.

Space HD awesomeness.

Mike

Agreed.
cablesmurfet
join:2012-05-28
Burlington, ON

cablesmurfet to MysticGuitar

to MysticGuitar
Cogeco doesn't carry Space in HD. Shaw Direct does.
robman50
join:2010-12-14

robman50

said by cablesmurfet:

Cogeco doesn't carry Space in HD. Shaw Direct does.

According to the Cogeco TV guide, Space HD is on channel 829.
thingfish
join:2012-09-14
St Catharines, ON

thingfish to cablesmurfet

to cablesmurfet
This thread was started to discuss the new HD channels Cogeco was adding. As robman50 mentions, Cogeco does carry it. For whatever reason, it's not in all their regions at this point.
tedh
join:2001-01-11
Burlington, ON

tedh

thingfish is correct. While Cogeco does carry Space HD, it is not yet in all regions. Unfortunately, I am in one of the regions (Burlington) that has not received Space HD (along with a number of other HD offerings). Last time I asked, there was no info on when that might happen. The customer reps just said, when it happens, it will appear. As MysticGuitar found out last week, there is inconsistency in what customers are told. It would be nice if someone would come along and at least tell us why some regions are not receiving channels like Space in HD and when we might expect to receive them. Should we not be getting a break on our bills if we are not receiving full service? (not holding my breath...)
cablesmurfet
Burlington, ON

cablesmurfet to robman50

to robman50
I'm in the Burlington system. I have not seen SpaceHD in the EPG.
tedh
join:2001-01-11
Burlington, ON

tedh

So Cogeco adds 55 multicultural channels today. Many east Asian , Russian, German, Arabic multicultural channels in the 1000 range, but still waiting in Burlington for

discovery hd 778
bravo hd 830
space hd 829
e hd 828
comedy east hd 721
ctv news hd 819
muchmusic hd 831

What gives?

StEC
#Hamont
Premium Member
join:2003-11-27
Hamilton

StEC

Premium Member

In Niagara we get...

discovery hd
bravo hd
space hd
e hd
ctv news hd

Though I notice Space HD hardly plays any HD content at all most of their shows are SD for some reason.

I'm really waiting for muchmusic & G4TV hd!
thingfish
join:2012-09-14
St Catharines, ON

thingfish to tedh

to tedh
We also get Comedy HD.

All these channels, and still no AMC-HD.

You know, AMC, with Breaking Bad, Mad Men and The Walking Dead?

I'd like to know what the hold-up is...

WarningU2
Premium Member
join:2002-10-27
Burlington, ON

WarningU2

Premium Member

Breaking Bad, Walking Dead and Mad Men ... best TV on. Be nice if AMC was HD. #$#k I'd even pay extra for it.

M in Cobourg
@cgocable.net

M in Cobourg

Anon

In Cobourg we have no CTV News HD, no Much Music HD and no TVO HD, although we have TFO HD! We get the City News HD channel on 821, but no CP24.

The new multicultural channels are listed on the website; package charges range from $15 to $35 per month.

There hasn't been a word from Cogeco about the other new channels added recently. They used to send messages out via cable, but I checked on my Pace 550D box and there are no messages. Yet they have the money to send out piles of bulk ad mail.

This month there is a free preview of HD channels eqhd, Oasis, HiFi and radX, but I heard about it here, not from Cogeco. It's not even mentioned on the website - it's like they don't want customers to know about their new channels. I was also able to tune in Animal Planet on 827; is that on free preview too?

BTW I volunteer for TV Cogeco, and they recently acquired brand new HD cameras and production equipment. However, I'm told it may be some time before they can allocate an HD channel for their own community TV. Now they've opened up the 800s and 1000s, there would seem to be plenty of room.
cablesmurfet
Burlington, ON

cablesmurfet

I don't know why Cogeco is so bad with advertising freeviews. I think that they would want people to know about the new channels because they get more money from them. The freeviews are listed on the website under Television and "What's new?". There are a bunch that are on til Jan 13th. We have TVC on HD channel 700 in the Burloak system and they film and broadcast our programs in HD.