spc
Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

howardfine

join:2002-08-09
Saint Louis, MO

Ubuntu laptops and desktops

I was just reading the NY Times when I saw this ad for notebooks/desktops/servers: »www.system76.com/ I never heard of the company before but thought you guys might be interested.

orion940
Attractive like a magnet
Premium
join:2001-12-23
Windsor, CT
Reviews:
·Comcast

I found this »www.zdnet.com/blog/education/say···oks/4455

In looking at their site at prices, eh.. not bad not great. I think there might be better buys at the Dell Outlet.

O.
--
Windsor, Home of the 2012 Yard Vermin Olympics

Maxo
Your tax dollars at work.
Premium,VIP
join:2002-11-04
Tallahassee, FL
reply to howardfine

System76 is a really great manufacturer. They take supporting Ubuntu very seriously, and do a good job at it. Their customer support is very good also. My next laptop will be a System76 machine. Why go with Dell's half-assed support when you could go with a company that ships great hardware with real Linux support.

Maxo
Your tax dollars at work.
Premium,VIP
join:2002-11-04
Tallahassee, FL
reply to orion940

said by orion940:

I think there might be better buys at the Dell Outlet.

Cheaper buys, but not better. System76 machines "just work" with Linux and are of good value. They do not ship low-end machines.

lugnut

@look.ca
reply to howardfine

I took a quick look at their laptops. Bloody ridiculous. I'm not paying a 65% premium simply for the "privilege" of having FOSS support.

Generally speaking all it takes is a few minutes of research at »linux-laptop.net/ and »tuxmobil.org/ and I can generally narrow down to a make and model that will work as its supposed to with a FREE AS IN BEER OS.

System76's cheapest laptop is about $250 higher than something comparable from Acer and I've found from experience that Acer machines generally run swimmingly with Linux. At least my last 6 machines have.

Seriously anyone who pays a 65% premium just to have a free OS installed on his system at the factory should have his head examined.

liht
Acryllicht

join:2000-07-11
Paradise Valley, AZ

They used to use sager for their laptops, but a few months ago they changed, not sure what they use now, looks like ASUS. The sagers command a good premium. They were decently priced.
--
werd

orion940
Attractive like a magnet
Premium
join:2001-12-23
Windsor, CT
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to lugnut

said by lugnut :

Seriously anyone who pays a 65% premium just to have a free OS installed on his system at the factory should have his head examined.

Absolutely. I have two Dell's, one is 5-6 years old now, one is one year. Both run flawlessly using any flavor of Linux I've put on them. The technology is so generic these days, the less expensive ones with a decent warranty are just as good as the top dollar ones. Hit the Dell Outlet with a coupon or when they are having a sale, and you can get a very good buy.

O.
--
Windsor, Home of the 2012 Yard Vermin Olympics