uniqs

Camelot One
MVM
join:2001-11-21
Bloomington, IN

Camelot One

MVM

[Tech] Searching for a DSLR looking camera/toy for kids

We recently visited my niece and nephew, (5 and 7 yrs old) and they both had a blast playing with my Nikon D100. I'd like to buy them something that LOOKS similar for Christmas, though obviously not an actual DSLR. Just something that looks like one, that maybe has the internals of a cheap point and shoot, and can take a bit of abuse from drops and such.

Has anyone seen a product like this? I've tried every google search term I can think of, but I end up with results for how to take pictures OF kids with a DSLR.

GeekGirl1
Premium Member
join:2007-01-28
Morrisville, PA

GeekGirl1

Premium Member

Re: [Misc] Searching for a DSLR looking camera/toy for kids

You might want to re-think your strategy. Check out this article: Buying Cameras for Children

rcroning
D700 Rocks
Premium Member
join:2005-05-21
Winnipeg, MB

rcroning to Camelot One

Premium Member

to Camelot One
I agree. If the children showed such enthusiasm, then they have to be encouraged to pursue their artistic side. That cannot be done with a toy. There are tons of really inexpensive P&S cameras out there that are great starter cameras for budding photographers.

Gave my niece and nephew a Nikon L22 each. It's amazing how creative they have been with their shooting.

Camelot One
MVM
Bloomington, IN

Camelot One

MVM

I didn't properly explain what I am looking for. I don't want an toy camera. I'm looking for something with the internals of a point and shoot, with the body style of an SLR. They seemed to like the feel of the monster camera as much as taking pictures.

The problem is that all of the models I've found that fit that build are really cheaply made, and break the first time they get banged around a little. But I don't want to pay the price of a high end Nikon DSLR for a 7 year old just to get something sturdy.

mromero
Premium Member
join:2000-12-07
Fullerton, CA

mromero

Premium Member

budget?

Camelot One
MVM
Bloomington, IN

Camelot One

MVM

The less the better, but I was hoping for under $200.
I found a couple of Kodaks that might work, Z990 or Z5120, just need to do some research on them.

mromero
Premium Member
join:2000-12-07
Fullerton, CA

mromero

Premium Member

why not just buy something like an original Canon Rebel or equivalent Nikon from KEH? I just saw a Rebel in good condition going for $80. It fulfills the DSLR "look" requirement. Its also going to be able to take a better beating. Stick a 50mm 1.8 on it and they'll be able to use that sucker until they get to junior high.

Camelot One
MVM
Bloomington, IN

1 recommendation

Camelot One

MVM

I hadn't even thought about used, that might just work. Thanks for the suggestion.

SueS
Premium Member
join:2007-05-16
Macon, MO

SueS to Camelot One

Premium Member

to Camelot One
I second mromero’s idea except I have the 18-55mm kit lens on my old XT Rebel for my Grandkids to use. I find 50mm on a crop body camera useless inside.