Voxxjin
Made of Hamburger
Premium
join:2010-01-13
Dupont, WA
Reviews:
·CenturyLink

Rant: Buck Rogers Season 2

I have been watching old sci-fi series at night. A month or so ago, I started to watch Buck Rogers. I hadn't seen it since my childhood but I seemed have liked it then. The first season was decent and I enjoyed watching it again. But a week ago I started to watch the second season. The season where they were on the Searcher and had hawk added to the show. Wow I didn't remember the second season being so bad.

Everyone's acting seemed worse. The acting wasn't the best the first season but it was better.
The Admiral in charge appears to be a dimwit.
The crew's uniforms are retarded. I miss seeing Wilma in the skin tight outfits.
And WFT did they do to Twiki's voice. I about choked when I heard it for the first time in season two.
And Dr. Goodfellow really bugs me.
Not to mention some stories don't match well with what has been said in season one.

I guess when I was little and saw season two, I must have repressed the memories. I will still watch the rest of the episodes but wow, has it been a shock to my system.

I think I will move onto Logan's Run when this is over.

BTW, is it me or is all the acting on sci-fi shows from back then not that good?
--
Cry "Havoc!" and let slip the dogs of war

Fir_Na_Tine
Giggity Giggity
Premium
join:2001-01-03
Sout Joisy

I bought the DVD set awhile ago and started watching it again. While I enjoyed it and remembering when I watched the crap out of it as a kid, its not the same. The acting was bad, and the story lines too. Also you really notice the recycled shots they used over and over again during the space battles. I didn't notice it as much as a kid. My favorite worse episode was the one with the Golden guys who anything they touched turned to gold or jewels.

Twikis voice did change because Mel Blanc didn't do it for some episodes according to Wikipedia.

»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twiki
--
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."
-Jimi Hendrix

Voxxjin
Made of Hamburger
Premium
Dupont, WA
Reviews:
·CenturyLink

A lot of those shows had recycled shots where they were viewing the radar or dog fights in space. Bugs me some now, probably didn't notice or care back then. I can deal with poor FX but some of the acting or storylines are just plain bad.

And yeah I did know that Mel didn't do the voice for the second season. But couldn't they have had someone do a similar voice? Now he sounds like a little boy with his high pitched voice and sounds really sappy.

/sigh
--

Jaghar

join:2001-01-30
Painesville, OH
reply to Voxxjin

Yea, that show was pretty bad.

Did you notice a much younger (and thinner) Dennis Haysbert (the Allstate commercial actor) as the helmsman?

Some time ago I was watching the show and noticed him.
--
We will always be much more human than we wish to be.

Octavean
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY
kudos:1
reply to Voxxjin

Yeah, I don't know what to say to that other then you can't really go back. As a child I enjoyed the heck out of such shows as Buck Rogers, the original BSG, SW, SW The Empire Strikes Back, SW Return of the Jedi and so on.

However, those shows/ movies as much as I loved them at the age of 5 or so were geared towards people of that age group. I'm way outside that demographic now and they simply don't resonate the way they did in the past.

Erin Gray and Pamela Hensley were really hot stuff though, that will never change,.......Giggidy,.....

footballdude
Premium
join:2002-08-13
Imperial, MO
reply to Fir_Na_Tine

said by Fir_Na_Tine:

Also you really notice the recycled shots they used over and over again during the space battles.

Standard procedure for animation in that time period. I read somewhere that the animated Cosby Show from the 70s was only allowed thirty seconds of new animation each week. Everything else was recycled video with overdubbed audio.
--
Concentrated power has always been the enemy of liberty - Ronald Reagan

Voxxjin
Made of Hamburger
Premium
Dupont, WA
Reviews:
·CenturyLink
reply to Octavean

said by Octavean:

Yeah, I don't know what to say to that other then you can't really go back.

I suppose so. I just remember watching these shows when I was a lot younger and have hoped that I would enjoy seeing them again and having a better ability to understand what was going on. Couldn't tell back then what was a bad story or bad acting. Though I did remember enough to not even bother trying to watch BSG when it reached earth.

Erin Gray and Pamela Hensley were really hot stuff though, that will never change,.......Giggidy,.....

Agreed. Like I said I liked Erin in the skin tight outfits.
--

Voxxjin
Made of Hamburger
Premium
Dupont, WA
Reviews:
·CenturyLink
reply to Fir_Na_Tine

said by Fir_Na_Tine:

My favorite worse episode was the one with the Golden guys who anything they touched turned to gold or jewels.

Funny I just watched that episode just now.
--

BK3

join:2001-04-10
Geneva, IL
Reviews:
·AT&T Yahoo
reply to Voxxjin

If you watch the original BSG and season 1 of Buck Rogers, you will see some shots from BSG re-used in BR. Especially when a fighter ship is launched, and you see a hand on the control.
Both were Glen Larson Productions.
--
Learn from the past and look to the future.