spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Walter Dnes

join:2008-01-27
Thornhill, ON

[Serious] Howsabout cutting down trees near powerlines+houses?

This idea will probably get the tree-huggers up in arms, but Sandy demonstrated that having tall trees near powerlines and houses is a bad idea. Wind blows, takes tree down, tree takes down powerline, or crashes into house. We really need to look at all trees, and apply a simple test.. if it falls down, will it take out a powerline or crash into a house. If the answer is yes, get rid of it now. How many more people need to be killed by falling trees, how many more unnecessary power outages do we have to suffer?

urbanriot
Premium
join:2004-10-18
Canada
kudos:3

Re: [Serious] Howsabout cutting down trees near powerlines+house

When was the last hurricane in Thornhill?

bt

join:2009-02-26
canada
kudos:1

1 edit
reply to Walter Dnes
That seems..... excessive.

They already do trim around power lines to mitigate the risk, and that's enough for me. The number of trees that would have to go to completely remove the risk is far too high in my opinion.

Edit: I don't think there'd be a single mature tree in my neighbourhood if that was done. That would be horribly depressing.

donoreo
Premium
join:2002-05-30
North York, ON
said by bt:

That seems..... excessive.

They already do trim around power lines to mitigate the risk, and that's enough for me. The number of trees that would have to go to completely remove the risk is far too high in my opinion.

Mine too. It is worth the risk.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in
kudos:2
Reviews:
·VMedia
reply to urbanriot
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
said by urbanriot:

These are just from around Toronto

urbanriot
Premium
Canada
Reviews:
·Cogeco Cable
said by elwoodblues:

said by urbanriot:

How many people died in that Toronto hurricane?

MaynardKrebs
Heave Steve, for the good of the country
Premium
join:2009-06-17
kudos:4
reply to elwoodblues
said by elwoodblues:

said by urbanriot:

Tress fall over all the time. Dead limbs fall all the time.
Shit happens.
More shit happens in a wind storm.

Two lines -one drawn through Vaughn-St. Thomas/Windsor and from Goderich to Barrie more or less defines Ontario's "tornado alley".
Mebbe we should pre-emptively bulldoze the all houses in tornado alley and rebuild with all services and homes underground. Oh but wait ...... what if there's a flood....all those underground homes will be swimming pools and people will drown... Ok...then we force everyone to have a boat too....but then they'll fall out of the boat.....so we have to teach everyone how to swim.........

ekster
Hi there
Premium
join:2010-07-16
Lachine, QC
Reviews:
·FreePhoneLine
Can't have basements in case of an earthquake. You don't want everything fall on you and then getting stuck with out way out and suffocating without air.

Also, houses can't be build with anything that's flammable or it'll burn down.

All houses should be exactly 1 story high, no basements, and built from non-flammable materials only (100% asbestos would be great! And Ontario can get it pretty cheap too, I bet.) . And there can be no trees, lamp posts or sign posts near by.

MaynardKrebs
Heave Steve, for the good of the country
Premium
join:2009-06-17
kudos:4
said by ekster:

Can't have basements in case of an earthquake. You don't want everything fall on you and then getting stuck with out way out and suffocating without air.

Also, houses can't be build with anything that's flammable or it'll burn down.

All houses should be exactly 1 story high, no basements, and built from non-flammable materials only (100% asbestos would be great! And Ontario can get it pretty cheap too, I bet.) . And there can be no trees, lamp posts or sign posts near by.

Actually, structures built with base isolation (lots of techniques for this) will do fine in an earthquake.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
Somewhere in
reply to urbanriot
One that I can think off. And that is the results of Sandy's winds

donoreo
Premium
North York, ON
said by elwoodblues:

Yes, woman hit by a Staples sign.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
Somewhere in
Reviews:
·VMedia
said by donoreo:

said by elwoodblues:

Used to be my old working 'hood too just up the road.
--
No, I didn't. Honest... I ran out of gas. I... I had a flat tire. I didn't have enough money for cab fare. My tux didn't come back from the cleaners. An old friend came in from out of town. Someone stole my car. There was an earthquake.......

agtle

@teksavvy.com
reply to donoreo
said by donoreo:

So I guess that would mean we should remove all tall signs too eh?

donoreo
Premium
North York, ON
said by agtle :

said by donoreo:

So I guess that would mean we should remove all tall signs too eh?

That I would be ok with

urbanriot
Premium
Canada
Reviews:
·Cogeco Cable
reply to donoreo
said by donoreo:

said by elwoodblues:

All right then, we need to eliminate trees and signs from Toronto in the event of hurricanes.

Gami00

join:2010-03-11
Mississauga, ON

2 recommendations

wouldn't it be better if we just remove "Toronto" in the event of a hurricane.

that way, everyone is safe.

urbanriot
Premium
Canada
i just spit coffee on my screen thanks to you.

Thane_Bitter
Inquire within
Premium
join:2005-01-20
Reviews:
·Bell Sympatico
reply to Walter Dnes
There is a plan in the works but it means everyone will have to buy large amounts of bleach:

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cwxl_-DH ··· l_-DHqKo

digitalfutur
Sees More Than Shown
Premium
join:2000-07-15
BurlingtonON
reply to Walter Dnes
Cost benefit? How many trees vs how much to cut down vs how much money lost to an infrequent power failure caused by a falling tree.

Priorities.

Devanchya
Smile
Premium
join:2003-12-09
Ajax, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to Walter Dnes
We keep a lot of tree's away from power lines already, but here's the thing... the tree near the power line to YOUR house is... your responsibility as soon as it hits your property.
--
»www.codecipher.com - Marking the way to tomorrow's solutions -- Did you know that Perl is not Dead? »perlisalive.org/

peterboro
Premium
join:2006-11-03
Peterborough, ON
said by Devanchya:

We keep a lot of tree's away from power lines already, but here's the thing... the tree near the power line to YOUR house is... your responsibility as soon as it hits your property.

An aerial component, unless you suggest a Lord of the Rings movement, would not be your responsibility.

J E F F
Whatta Ya Think About Dat?
Premium
join:2004-04-01
Kitchener, ON
kudos:1
reply to Walter Dnes
Hydro One is taking down some stuff on their property in Waterloo and everyone is up in arms (people living in the area). Not hurricane related, but that is the type of stuff that caused the issue with the 2003 blackout, tree's that interfered with the electrical lines in Ohio.
--
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. - Albert Einstein

urbanriot
Premium
Canada
It happens all the time in rural areas around here too, areas like Ridgeway and Port Colborne that were without power for a week. There's a lot of trees to remove in Ridgeway.

It's probably easier to re-cable.

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones
Premium,ExMod 2002
join:2001-03-22
Owen Sound, ON
reply to J E F F
said by J E F F:

Hydro One is taking down some stuff on their property in Waterloo and everyone is up in arms (people living in the area). Not hurricane related, but that is the type of stuff that caused the issue with the 2003 blackout, tree's that interfered with the electrical lines in Ohio.

Hydro One cuts trees in our area at least every ten years. They are working at Sauble Beach right now. It is required and it works.
--
Need-based health care not greed-based health care.

mr weather
Premium
join:2002-02-27
Mississauga, ON
reply to Walter Dnes
It was the lack of tree trimming by an Ohio utility that contributed to the 2003 Blackout.
--
"It's all coming down!!" - Mike Holmes

Wolfie00
My dog is an elitist
Premium
join:2005-03-12
kudos:8
reply to DKS
said by DKS:

Hydro One cuts trees in our area at least every ten years. They are working at Sauble Beach right now. It is required and it works.

It works in your area? Is that why the whole area around Owen Sound was one of the largest Hydro One service outages in all of Ontario as the remnants of Hurricane Sandy moved in? IIRC, over 15,000 customers were without power at one point in a broad swath of rural area around OS, the largest concentrated outage I saw anywhere in Hydro One territory during the storm.

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones
Premium,ExMod 2002
join:2001-03-22
Owen Sound, ON
said by Wolfie00:

said by DKS:

It works in your area? Is that why the whole area around Owen Sound was one of the largest Hydro One service outages in all of Ontario as the remnants of Hurricane Sandy moved in? IIRC, over 15,000 customers were without power at one point in a broad swath of rural area around OS, the largest concentrated outage I saw anywhere in Hydro One territory during the storm.

The majority were in OS itself when a feeder line on a pole (not a tree) from the hydro substation on the 6th St. hill came down in the wind. The transformer on the pole leaked about 160 l of PCB-laced mineral oil into the Sydenham river. The majority were back on line by the next morning and everyone within 18 hours. Not all of it was trees.
--
Need-based health care not greed-based health care.

sm5w2
Premium
join:2004-10-13
St Thomas, ON
reply to Walter Dnes
What everyone is not understanding, from an urban-planning perspective, is that if you removed all trees that are planted in the utility right-of-way under or near power lines, you'd basically eliminate about half of the trees of any community.

The answer is to bury the power lines, not kill off our dwindling supply of mature trees.

About the only place that a tree can actually grow to full maturity are the ones on public property. Many new residential lots built in the last 20 years have a pittance for a yard - not enough space for a tree, let alone a mature tree.

A Lurker
that's Ms Lurker btw
Premium
join:2007-10-27
Wellington N
reply to digitalfutur
said by digitalfutur:

Cost benefit? How many trees vs how much to cut down vs how much money lost to an infrequent power failure caused by a falling tree.

I agree with that.

Having said the local power companies can be truly annoying to deal with. About 6 or 7 years back some of us started complaining about the fact that they hadn't done any trimming in almost a decade. During stormy weather during the year you could stand in your backyard and see the trees smacking the power lines. These were the really bad days you see only a few times a year. I'd say at least 6 or 8 houses called (that I know of) and complained, nothing happened.

Next year, same thing, nothing happened.

Year after, power lost during storms three times. Then they finally came and cut the damn trees.

WhaleOilBee
What a long strange trip it's been

join:2011-08-02
Manotick, ON
Reviews:
·Acanac
reply to sm5w2
said by sm5w2:

What everyone is not understanding, from an urban-planning perspective, is that if you removed all trees that are planted in the utility right-of-way under or near power lines, you'd basically eliminate about half of the trees of any community.

The answer is to bury the power lines, not kill off our dwindling supply of mature trees.

About the only place that a tree can actually grow to full maturity are the ones on public property. Many new residential lots built in the last 20 years have a pittance for a yard - not enough space for a tree, let alone a mature tree.

We have all underground services and had to agree to only clear the minimum trees required to build a house and septic field on 2 acre lot. In ice storm of '99, a tree fell on the house. Lucky it was cedar and the major force of impact was absorbed by the branches - no roof damage, only a dented eaves-trough. Since then, any close tree big enough to hit the house has mysteriously vanished.