how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

FF4m3

@rr.com

AMD Losing More Linux Developers

AMD Is Indeed Losing More Linux Developers:

We have known since last month the company has been making plans to let go around 15% of its staff due to poor financial performance out of the company, but it seems their Linux work will take a material impact in this latest round of "layoffs" at the organization.

There's been unverified statements that AMD is actually shutting down the OSRC, a.k.a. their Operating System Research Center in Dresden. At the AMD OSRC is where they did initial enablement work for new AMD CPUs on Linux and other operating systems, various kernel-level work like improvements to virtualization, and other research and upstream work as it pertains to Linux and other OSes.

As another sign of trouble for AMD Germany, under their AMD GitHub activity page, their Tapper software that comes out of the Operating System Research Center was also changed. Last week the Tapper source-code was forked on GitHub and the AMD Wiki then updated to reflect "Tapper is continued on its new home." The "new home" for the code-base only reflects non-AMD addresses, so it appears that AMD has abandoned this OSRC Dresden project outright.

More at site.

Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ
kudos:1

1 recommendation

AMD started their own coffin when they bought ATI.

While yes keeping ATI alive has been good for the video card market I think their debt load has really caused way too much harm to AMD.
--
[65 Arcanist]Filan(High Elf) Zone: Broadband Reports

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County

said by Kearnstd:

AMD started their own coffin when they bought ATI.

While yes keeping ATI alive has been good for the video card market I think their debt load has really caused way too much harm to AMD.

Completely agree in every way....
--
Brian

"It drops into your stomach like a Abrams's tank.... driven by Rosanne Barr..." A. Bourdain

JohnInSJ
Premium
join:2003-09-22
San Jose, CA
reply to FF4m3

I know a few folks at AMD... not happy times, for everyone.
--
My place : »www.schettino.us

Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium
Mullica Hill, NJ

1 recommendation

I hope AMD does not completely sink. If AMD sinks, we will see the prices of Intel chips rise and progress slow. At least in the desktop market.

JohnInSJ
Premium
San Jose, CA

said by Kearnstd:

I hope AMD does not completely sink. If AMD sinks, we will see the prices of Intel chips rise and progress slow. At least in the desktop market.

Which is dead It's all about the tablets now...
--

KodiacZiller
Premium
join:2008-09-04
kudos:2

1 recommendation

said by JohnInSJ:

said by Kearnstd:

I don't believe that for a minute. Not everyone wants to put all of their workload onto a tablet. A lot of people still need workstations. Tablets are for nothing but playing, not real work.
--
Getting people to stop using windows is more or less the same as trying to get people to stop smoking tobacco products. They dont want to change; they are happy with slowly dying inside. -- munky99999

JohnInSJ
Premium
San Jose, CA

said by KodiacZiller:

said by JohnInSJ:

said by Kearnstd:

I don't believe that for a minute. Not everyone wants to put all of their workload onto a tablet. A lot of people still need workstations. Tablets are for nothing but playing, not real work.

Oh, I know... of course, 99% of consumers don't know that. Which is what is killing the desktop market. Laptops will hang on, but desktops are going the way of minicomputers. There will always be a small niche market but the days of the "home PC" are over. Everyone will have tablets, and there might be some laptops "for real work" as you put it. But a big box tied to one place?
--

Black Box

join:2002-12-21

At least in the gaming community they will. 20"+ screens and multiple display setups are kind of hard on a laptop.
--
Keep It Safe, Stupid!
Yes, I CanChat. Can You?

Maxo
Your tax dollars at work.
Premium,VIP
join:2002-11-04
Tallahassee, FL

said by Black Box:

At least in the gaming community they will. 20"+ screens and multiple display setups are kind of hard on a laptop.

That's what docking stations are for. My work machine is a laptop that docks and gives me dual-head display on two 21" monitors.
I can easily see a future where I carry around a tablet that docks and gives me a full desktop experience.

JohnInSJ
Premium
San Jose, CA
reply to Black Box

said by Black Box:

Running three screens here on my laptop @ work. Not very hard at all.
--

Snakeoil
Ignore Button. The coward's feature.
Premium
join:2000-08-05
Mentor, OH
reply to KodiacZiller

I agree, they also such for playing games like Duke nuke 'em and other "3d" shooters that have been ported to Tablets. Now if someone builds a blue tooth enabled controller that will work on a tablet [I am aware the PS controller is blue tooth], then maybe games would be a tad more interesting them words with friends.
--
Is a person a failure for doing nothing? Or is he a failure for trying, and not succeeding at what he is attempting to do? What did you fail at today?.

Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium
Mullica Hill, NJ

1 recommendation

reply to FF4m3

the big stationary computer is not going away. and it would be silly to think so.

However its role in the typical non PC gaming household will change. Odds are it will again be pushed from the living room(in favor of laptops and tablets) and start to angle more towards being a large media dumping ground.

Naturally some legacy operations stand in the way of things. the MAFIAA is against DRM free movie files whos playback is completely OS and device agnostic and the cable companies are against people running their own whole home DVR platforms.
--

JohnInSJ
Premium
San Jose, CA

said by Kearnstd:

Naturally some legacy operations stand in the way of things. the MAFIAA is against DRM free movie files whos playback is completely OS and device agnostic and the cable companies are against people running their own whole home DVR platforms.

and most people don't want to run a data center in their home. So, yeah, the big stationary computer is going to disappear. Sure, you'll have one. I'll have one. Heck, maybe even 20% of the people here on ATU will have one. Most people? not so much.
--

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
Premium,MVM
join:2001-09-01
El Dorado Hills, CA
kudos:3

Yep, my parents own 2 laptops. The last time they had a desktop, it was a Pentium II 233.
--
"Women. Can't live with 'em, pass the beer nuts." -Norm

me1212

join:2008-11-20
Pleasant Hill, MO
reply to JohnInSJ

Laptops will be the new normal, yes that much is sure. However, I don't think desktops will be going away as much as most people think. PC gaming is on the rise, most people I know now hardly use consoles because for about the same price they can build a decent gaming pc and play at much higher res and much higher settings, plus mods and all.

This time two years ago I could count on one hand the number of pc games I knew, and it took much more than that for console gamers. Today that has pretty much reversed. "normal" people will be on laptops at the most, but desktops will always have their place/niche. Heck maybe this will drive costs of desktop parts down since there won be as much demand.

Maxo
Premium,VIP
Tallahassee, FL

said by me1212:

PC gaming is on the rise, most people I know now hardly use consoles because for about the same price they can build a decent gaming pc and play at much higher res and much higher settings, plus mods and all.

Android is making a strong play in the gaming field. There are already some pretty decent 3D games for Android. It's certainly not "there" yet, and probably won't be for over a year, but as high-end tablets get cheaper, more ubiquitous, and when true docking stations become the norm, I think serious game on Android could become a reality.
--
"Padre, nobody said war was fun now bowl!" - Sherman T Potter

»maxolasersquad.com/

»maxolasersquad.blogspot.com

»www.facebook.com/maxolasersquad

TuxRaiderPen

join:2009-09-19

said by Maxo:
high-end tablets get cheaper, more ubiquitous, and when true docking stations become the norm
So umm the desktop is dead...but you need a laptop/tablet with a docking station!? ? !!? Ok.... I like the idea of docking stations to get more hardware into laptops that may not come in a form you could use.. I just found in storage a real honest to goodness IBM docking station for an old Thinkpad (THE REAL ONES) series.. you add like 3 PCI cards, 2 5.25 drives, port replication etc.. this could come in handy today for things that just are not USB, or PCIx replaceable.

Well the desktop is not dead, nor is it going any where, and YES I do have a datacenter in my house, complete with UPS and backup gen set

I have a laptop for work and personal that is equal to my main personal/work desktops. I have a bunch of older machines that have been turned into LAMP servers, test boxes for distro testing, DLNA servers, download servers, etc..

Tablets just don't really mesh into what I do.. they look cute, but they don't mesh with what I do work or play, and as I've posted before, lamer gamer is not part of my play time. I've investigated them for field work and for one task they would be useful, but the 95% of the other task would hold back the users, especially non computer techie types which make up 99% of the users. To be useable a tablet would have to be in a docking station 100% of the time as those lame onscreen keyboards are useless! Thats why my Droid (Samsung SCHi405/Stratosphere) have a slide out keyboard. And its still an issue typing on it!

Year of the tablets!

Where have I heard a phrase like that before for ... years on years on years... hmmm...... its on the tip of my tongue....I've heard it some place for something else.....hmmmm...
--
1311393600 - Back to Black.....Black....Black....

Maxo
Premium,VIP
Tallahassee, FL

said by TuxRaiderPen:

So umm the desktop is dead...but you need a laptop/tablet with a docking station!?

I'm not a fan of claiming that "X is dead" when X is clearly in wide use. The desktop is certainly not dead today. It may be in the near future, but that's not where my cards are.
However, I do believe tablets do have a real capability to replace many of today's desktop and even laptop uses. That includes the use of tablets as full-scale workstations both at home and at work.
I believe that through the use of docking stations we can easily have tablets that provide the user with the typical desktop experience that provides the experience not available from the typical mobile experience.
I for one find a permanent desktop very useful in that I have a computer in my home guaranteed that is not going to get taken out or misplaced. This is probably preferable in classroom and business situations.
--
"Padre, nobody said war was fun now bowl!" - Sherman T Potter

»maxolasersquad.com/

»maxolasersquad.blogspot.com

»www.facebook.com/maxolasersquad

firephoto
We the people
Premium
join:2003-03-18
Brewster, WA
reply to FF4m3

»www.engadget.com/2012/11/09/amd-···layoffs/

The pain from recently announced job cuts by AMD could ripple out to the Linux community, as the chipmaker has shut down a small but important Linux OS research facility in Dresden, Germany. The center housed 25 employees who helped port AMD technology like PowerNow over to new Linux distros, and according to The H, many engineers who submitted major processor and chipset revisions for the OS would be pink slipped. The closure won't affect GPU and APU development, according to the source, but it's not yet known exactly who will pick up the slack from the former Dresden team -- though the research center in Austin Texas is reported to be a likely bet.

--
Say no to astroturfing. actions > Ignore Author

rexbinary
Mod King
Premium
join:2005-01-26
Plano, TX
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to FF4m3

The future is ARM.

All consumer devices use them except desktop PCs and some PC laptops. Apple is already looking at moving their desktops and laptops to ARM. Microsoft has Windows RT for ARM. Dell is testing ARM servers. Red Hat is supporting ARM servers.

AMD bought an ARM license.

»www.pcworld.com/article/2013277/···014.html

Intel should consider buying one too....
--
Verizon FiOS subscriber since 2005 | Mac owner since 1990 | Fedora user since 2006 | CentOS user since 2007 | "Anyone who is unwilling to learn is entitled to absolutely nothing." - graysonf | EDIT: I seldom post without an edit.

GraysonPeddi
Grayson Peddie

join:2010-06-28
Tallahassee, FL
Reviews:
·Fairpoint Commun..

Will ARM have a couple of PCI, PCIe x1, and PCI x16 slots with 6 SATA III ports? Can I upgrade memory if I wish to?

If I buy an ARM-based motherboard, can I choose my own ARM accelerated processor unit with Radeon HD graphics?

x86 still lives.
--
Phone: Yealink SIP-T22P + CSipSimple in Optimus V
Phone System: Asterisk 10.1; Server: Debian Sid+Exp

I'm in heaven with VoIP except for 3G wireless.

rexbinary
Mod King
Premium
Plano, TX
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

said by GraysonPeddi:

Will ARM have a couple of PCI, PCIe x1, and PCI x16 slots with 6 SATA III ports? Can I upgrade memory if I wish to?

If I buy an ARM-based motherboard, can I choose my own ARM accelerated processor unit with Radeon HD graphics?

x86 still lives.

Yes all of the above are possible, it's just a CPU. No one said x86 was dead yet.

Have a look at Dell's hardware so far.

»content.dell.com/us/en/enterpris···t-copper
--
Verizon FiOS subscriber since 2005 | Mac owner since 1990 | Fedora user since 2006 | CentOS user since 2007 | "Anyone who is unwilling to learn is entitled to absolutely nothing." - graysonf | EDIT: I seldom post without an edit.

GraysonPeddi
Grayson Peddie

join:2010-06-28
Tallahassee, FL
Reviews:
·Fairpoint Commun..

It's just a bunch of hard drives with an ARM CPU.

I'll give it a benefit of a doubt until I see a desktop ARM-based motherboard with a couple of expansion slots. It does not have to be hard drives, but it can be sound cards, TV tuners, capture cards, -- anything.

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
Premium,MVM
El Dorado Hills, CA
reply to rexbinary

said by rexbinary:

The future is ARM.

All consumer devices use them except desktop PCs and some PC laptops. Apple is already looking at moving their desktops and laptops to ARM. Microsoft has Windows RT for ARM. Dell is testing ARM servers. Red Hat is supporting ARM servers.

AMD bought an ARM license.

»www.pcworld.com/article/2013277/···014.html

Intel should consider buying one too....

The performance per watt of ARM is the only thing going for it, and Intel is closing that gap rapidly. Apple is insane for thinking the can replace x86 with ARM in anything but a total low end budget laptop.
--

rexbinary
Mod King
Premium
Plano, TX
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

said by pflog:

The performance per watt of ARM is the only thing going for it, and Intel is closing that gap rapidly. Apple is insane for thinking the can replace x86 with ARM in anything but a total low end budget laptop.

One other thing ARM has going for it is you can just buy a license and then build your own custom chips.

I do see where you are coming from. I just built a high performance PC and I hope I get to build another one in the future, but think how many people buy $400 laptops and tablets? High performance seems to be becoming a niche, with people who build their own PCs being a niche of a niche.

All that said, that's just my take on things and I will happily be wrong. I do still think it was a very smart move for AMD to license ARM and shoot for servers for now given the landscape.
--

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
Premium,MVM
El Dorado Hills, CA

said by rexbinary:

said by pflog:

One other thing ARM has going for it is you can just buy a license and then build your own custom chips.

True, but they don't all have their own fabs. AMD does, but most do not, and none of the fabs-for-hire can compare to the volume Intel is capable of.

I just don't understand why people seem to think Intel is just going to roll over and admit defeat because of the power savings ARM currently has. In most cases, the screen is gobbling up more battery and Atom has much better standby power consumption. Once the active power consumption drops on par with ARM, what does ARM have to offer other than a company being able to own their own destiny (if they even want to do in-house chip design)?
--

Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium
Mullica Hill, NJ

If Intel hits the mobile market with the same force they put behind price/power/performance chips like the Core i5. They could very well sink ARM.

ATI debt+Core series CPUs from Intel are two of the big factors in the decline of AMD. The Core i5 took a crown that was once almost completely exclusive to AMD, that being the best price to performance ratio.
--

pflog
Bueller? Bueller?
Premium,MVM
El Dorado Hills, CA

»tech.slashdot.org/story/12/11/13···-options
--

Maxo
Premium,VIP
Tallahassee, FL

"Others say AMD's most valuable asset may be its deep bench of engineers or its patents."
In today's world, I could see Google, Microsoft or Apple buying AMD purely for the patents, which is quite unfortunate.