wideglide36

join:2003-11-08
Altoona, PA
Reviews:
·voip.ms
·Future Nine Corp..

Voip issues? Just can't win

Hey guys,

Just venting a little here. I have a Voip account with Callcentric and we all know the issues they have been having lately. First the attack and then the hurricane, and along the way my OBI 110 would not work with CC. Kept rebooting.

OBI hai support sent out an email stating that they had a temporary fix for the rebooting issue with CC, and you had to email them requesting it.

Over at their forums there still seems to be issues with the OBI and CC.

So, I decided to open an account at Voip.ms and purchase a DID from them as they had one available in my city.

I deposited $25.00 into my account and went to order the DID.

To my surprise the transaction would not go through. I kept getting an invalid error message. Just my luck.

So, I decided to open a ticket to ask why the transaction didn't go through and the ticket area wasn't working either.

Well, the $25.00 deposit went through without a hitch but nothing else works.

Just can't win............

suppafly
Premium
join:2009-11-27

1 edit
Hi

Just send me your account number or ticket via PM and Ill make sure everything is solved , thank you
--
Peter Sahui - VoIP.ms

wideglide36

Altoona, PA
Peter,

Thank you. I tried again this morning and was in fact able to purchase the DID.

So now it's off to play with my new toy.

Hopefully this plays nicer with my OBI 110.

Thanks again for your offer of assistance.

nonymous
Premium
join:2003-09-08
Glendale, AZ
reply to wideglide36
1.3.0 (Build: 2758) Beta firmware
»www.obitalk.com/forum/index.php?topic=4470.0

mm
I Did It My Way
Premium
join:2001-04-07
Summerville, SC
kudos:1
Reviews:
·VoicePulse
reply to wideglide36
said by wideglide36:

Peter,

Thank you. I tried again this morning and was in fact able to purchase the DID.

So now it's off to play with my new toy.

Hopefully this plays nicer with my OBI 110.

Thanks again for your offer of assistance.

I just switched to VOIP.ms yesterday because VoicePulse is useless. I used an OBi100 which is the same settings as your OBi110. Just follow their Wiki page and it works great. My only complaint is their web site is a bit rough to handle for rookies like myself. It required jumping around to a few menus to get everything going.

One issue, their Wiki on voice mail setup is missing a key step under the DID options. It's labeled -"Additional Failover Options" which must be clicked to expand the options to setup the triggers for VM to work. It took me a long time to find that option. I tried contacting their support via a ticket but they never responded. I closed the ticket once I fixed the problem.

The good, I called a friend who always hated my VoicePulse sound quality. VOIP.ms passed his test and let me tell you that's hard to do, he's beyond fussy when it comes to sound quality.

The one thing I am missing is CallerID name filtering. VoicePulse allowed you to setup filters on name. For example I would have a filter that would toss any call with the string of 'diabetes' in it. I also get a lot of calls where the name is "800 Service" and I would toss them directly in voice mail.

wideglide36

Altoona, PA
Reviews:
·voip.ms
·Future Nine Corp..
Thanks mm,

I'll definitely check out their Wiki page.

I initially had a heck of a time setting things up with my Obi 110, but finally did get registered.

Now I have to figure out all the different options available and where to find them and how to set things up to my liking.

As a noob in the area of Voip, I posted in another thread that my decision came down between Anveo and Voip.ms, and I chose Voip.ms because their web site seemed a little bit easier to navigate. Not as easy as I would like, but still a little easier.

Time will tell if I made the right decision.....

wideglide36

Altoona, PA
Reviews:
·voip.ms
·Future Nine Corp..
reply to wideglide36
Hate to be a pest, but, I have been looking things over at their Wiki page and also checking my account online and I have a pretty simple question about Voip.ms. At least I hope it's simple.

I'm trying to set things up so that when someone calls my number at Voip.ms, it rings the phone connected to the Obi 110 and also rings my home phone and also my cell phone.

Is that even possible? I don't care if they ring all at the same time or if you can select which phone rings first, second and third.

I really got confused with call forwarding, ring groups and DID routing. Am I on the right track ?

Callcentric made this easy with call treatments and I'm sure Voip.ms is just as easy once I figure out how to accomplish this task.

Thanks.

crazyk4952
Premium
join:2002-02-04
united state
Reviews:
·CenturyLink
·Vitelity VOIP
·Charter
·Callcentric
Yes, this is definitely possible and pretty easy to set up.

Go to DID Numbers >> Forwarding and enter your home phone number and your cell phone number as separate entries.

Go to DID Numbers >> Ring groups. Create a new ring group and select your home phone, cell phone and your main account (assuming your OBi device is registered to the main account).

Go to DID Numbers >> Manage DIDs, select your DID and click on Edit Setting - One at a Time. Under the "Routing" category, choose your newly created ring group and click "Apply Routing to selected DID".

Give it about a minute to propagate and you should be all set.

wideglide36

Altoona, PA
Reviews:
·voip.ms
·Future Nine Corp..
crazyk,

Thank you very much. Thanks for the detailed instructions. That's exactly what I needed. I'm not sure I would have figured that out without your help.

I'm sure I'll be needing more help in the future.

Thanks for helping.....

crazyk4952
Premium
united state
Glad to help.

wideglide36

Altoona, PA
Reviews:
·voip.ms
·Future Nine Corp..
said by crazyk4952:

Glad to help.

Thanks, Maybe you could help with some other issues I'm having.

First one: I set up my ring group as you advised. I have my main account: Checked. I have forwarding, my Voip.ms number: Checked. I have forwarding, Home: Unchecked.
I have forwarding, Cell: Checked. The routing is set up correctly under manage DID's.

When I tested this set up by using my home phone to call my Voip.ms number, it immediately goes to voicemail. Don't want that. Why would it do that? Under routing it is supposed to go to my ring group.

Same test, only unchecking my Voip.ms number and making sure to set things properly in manage DID's, using my home phone to call my Voip.ms number, only my cell rings.

I am still trying to figure out how to set it up so that when a call comes in, I can set it to ring the phones in my ring group.

Right now it doesn't seem to be doing what I have set up.

Unless I'm missing something and that's entirely possible.

Thanks

PX Eliezer7
Premium
join:2008-08-09
Hutt River
kudos:13
May be a silly question, but does the dashboard show your home phone as registered?

And the DID routing is set to [ring group]?

And you don't have your DID sent to Do Not Disturb?

wideglide36

Altoona, PA
Reviews:
·voip.ms
·Future Nine Corp..
said by PX Eliezer7:

May be a silly question, but does the dashboard show your home phone as registered?

And the DID routing is set to [ring group]?

And you don't have your DID sent to Do Not Disturb?

Hey PX

That's a yes to all three. The dashboard is showing my Voip,ms phone as being registered and under "manage DID's" it first routs to my ring group.

I didn't even see where you could set it to Do Not Disturb and I've been looking around for awhile.

Thanks

crazyk4952
Premium
united state
Reviews:
·CenturyLink
·Vitelity VOIP
·Charter
·Callcentric
reply to wideglide36
said by wideglide36:

said by crazyk4952:

Glad to help.

Thanks, Maybe you could help with some other issues I'm having.

First one: I set up my ring group as you advised. I have my main account: Checked. I have forwarding, my Voip.ms number: Checked. I have forwarding, Home: Unchecked.
I have forwarding, Cell: Checked. The routing is set up correctly under manage DID's.

When I tested this set up by using my home phone to call my Voip.ms number, it immediately goes to voicemail. Don't want that. Why would it do that? Under routing it is supposed to go to my ring group.

Same test, only unchecking my Voip.ms number and making sure to set things properly in manage DID's, using my home phone to call my Voip.ms number, only my cell rings.

I am still trying to figure out how to set it up so that when a call comes in, I can set it to ring the phones in my ring group.

Right now it doesn't seem to be doing what I have set up.

Unless I'm missing something and that's entirely possible.

Thanks

Did you make sure that your DID and your ATA are registered to the same POP? In other words, pick one of their servers (probably the one closest to you) and make sure both your DID is pointing to it and your ATA is registered to it.

If these are set to different servers, then incoming calls will go directly to voicemail.

Also, when you are making changes you must wait about a minute for these changes to propagate. If you make a change, then test it right away, the change may not have taken place yet.

advocate99

join:2011-03-08
reply to wideglide36
Is it possible that the voicemail that you're getting is your cellular phone voicemail?

If the Ring Group is set up to ring your cellular phone, and your phone is off, or not in range, the call will complete immediately to your cellular phone's voicemail system.

The only way around that is to configure your cellular phone to require confirmation, i.e. when you answer it, you'll hear a message that says "press 1 to take this call."

crazyk4952
Premium
united state
Reviews:
·CenturyLink
·Vitelity VOIP
·Charter
·Callcentric
said by advocate99:

The only way around that is to configure your cellular phone to require confirmation, i.e. when you answer it, you'll hear a message that says "press 1 to take this call."

I do not believe this is currently possible with voip.ms.

crazyk4952
Premium
united state
reply to wideglide36
Also, you may want to verify that your outgoing callerID is set to your your voip.ms phone number.

Main Menu >> Account Settings >> General

wideglide36

Altoona, PA
Reviews:
·voip.ms
·Future Nine Corp..
reply to wideglide36
Hey guys,

Thanks for all the help.

Checking my account at Voip.ms.

Home portal page shows as being registered to atlanta.voip.ms. It used to say newyork.voip.ms. Don't know why it changed.

Under account settings: New York is selected.

Under Manage DID's: New York is selected.

In my ata (Obi 110), under ITSP Profile B, Proxy Server is: newyork.voip.ms and the Registrar Server is: atlanta.voip.ms.

How in the world do you get them all to point to New York?

Outgoing caller ID is set to my voip.ms number.

Voicemail is another issue I was gonna ask about, but I wanted to get one thing done at a time.

Thanks

PX Eliezer7
Premium
join:2008-08-09
Hutt River
kudos:13
With another storm coming (still bad but not nearly as bad as Sandy), you might want to change [all] of the entries to Atlanta.

wideglide36

Altoona, PA
Reviews:
·voip.ms
·Future Nine Corp..
said by PX Eliezer7:

With another storm coming (still bad but not nearly as bad as Sandy), you might want to change [all] of the entries to Atlanta.

Good Morning PX

Thanks for that suggestion. I'll try it and see how it works.

wideglide36

Altoona, PA
Reviews:
·voip.ms
·Future Nine Corp..
reply to PX Eliezer7
said by PX Eliezer7:

Well, I finally set everything to atlanta.voip.ms and tried calling my voip.ms number and immediately it went to voice mail. Strange thing though, the phone actually rang once and said incoming call. It wasn't doing that before.

Also, when it goes to voice mail, and it's definitely voip.ms voicemail, it say something about the person at extension whatever is not available and to leave a message. When I set up voicemail, and don't ask me how, I recorded a message.

Shouldn't that message be playing when it goes to voice mail?

Thanks

wideglide36

Altoona, PA
I'll check back in later today. Gotta go out and do my civic duty and vote.

Definitely need some fresh air after wrangling with this issue for a couple days.

Thanks guys..

crazyk4952
Premium
united state
Reviews:
·CenturyLink
·Vitelity VOIP
·Charter
·Callcentric
reply to wideglide36
said by wideglide36:

said by PX Eliezer7:

Also, when it goes to voice mail, and it's definitely voip.ms voicemail, it say something about the person at extension whatever is not available and to leave a message. When I set up voicemail, and don't ask me how, I recorded a message.

Shouldn't that message be playing when it goes to voice mail?

Thanks

Your outgoing message (and any incoming messages) are stored on the server that you were registered to when you set up your voicemail. If you change servers (say from newyork to atlanta), you will have to rerecord your outgoing greeting. Also, you won't have access to incoming messages stored on the previous server until you change back to the old server.

crazyk4952
Premium
united state
Reviews:
·CenturyLink
·Vitelity VOIP
·Charter
·Callcentric
reply to wideglide36
said by wideglide36:

Definitely need some fresh air after wrangling with this issue for a couple days.

Thanks guys..

Keep us posted. You definitely want to keep the POP that your DID is pointed to and the POP that your ATA is registered to the same. Otherwise, straight to voicemail for you!

wideglide36

Altoona, PA
Reviews:
·voip.ms
·Future Nine Corp..
said by crazyk4952:

said by wideglide36:

Thanks guys..

Keep us posted. You definitely want to keep the POP that your DID is pointed to and the POP that your ATA is registered to the same. Otherwise, straight to voicemail for you!

Thanks crazyk,

As far as I know, all settings are pointing to Atlanta,GA.

In my Obi 110 and on my account at Voip.ms, yet all incoming calls are still going to voicemail.

One curious thing though. Before I set everything to point to Atlanta,GA, I could not access my voicemail using *97.

Now, I can access voicemail using *97 Also:

While playing around with things, I was offered the opportunity to record a message. I declined because I thought I had already recorded one. So, you're probably right about having to re record a message for voicemail.

Couple quick questions. On your Voip.ms account, where would you go to record a voicemail message? Is there any place on your account that shows that you have messages? Or, is the only way to check for messages to dial *97?

Any ideas as to why all incoming calls are still picked up by voice mail? I have no idea where to set Do Not Disturb, so I doubt that's the problem.

Thanks for hanging with me.

mau108
Mau
Premium
join:2001-10-07
Thornhill, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to wideglide36
Click for full size
Have you setup your DID correctly? Make sure it's routing to your account number and not voicemail.

crazyk4952
Premium
united state
Reviews:
·CenturyLink
·Vitelity VOIP
·Charter
·Callcentric
reply to wideglide36
said by wideglide36:

[
Thanks crazyk,

In my Obi 110 and on my account at Voip.ms, yet all incoming calls are still going to voicemail.

One curious thing though. Before I set everything to point to Atlanta,GA, I could not access my voicemail using *97.

While playing around with things, I was offered the opportunity to record a message. I declined because I thought I had already recorded one. So, you're probably right about having to re record a message for voicemail.

Couple quick questions. On your Voip.ms account, where would you go to record a voicemail message? Is there any place on your account that shows that you have messages? Or, is the only way to check for messages to dial *97?

Any ideas as to why all incoming calls are still picked up by voice mail? I have no idea where to set Do Not Disturb, so I doubt that's the problem.

Is your phone still ringing first (for the half a ring you posted about earlier), then going to VM?

You may want to temporarily connect your ATA directly to your internet connection, bypassing the router and try an incoming call. This will tell us if the problem is with the router.

There is no way to record your outgoing voicemail greeting or see any incoming voicemails through the voip.ms portal. You have to record your outgoing message through the phone (*97).

wideglide36

Altoona, PA
Reviews:
·voip.ms
·Future Nine Corp..
reply to mau108
said by mau108:

Have you setup your DID correctly? Make sure it's routing to your account number and not voicemail.

Thanks mau for that screen shot.

My screen would show that in the very first "routing" block, the only thing selected is "ring group" , nothing else.

Voicemail is not selected in any screens that I can see.

Thanks

wideglide36

Altoona, PA
Reviews:
·voip.ms
·Future Nine Corp..
reply to crazyk4952
said by crazyk4952:

said by wideglide36:

[
Thanks crazyk,

Is your phone still ringing first (for the half a ring you posted about earlier), then going to VM?

You may want to temporarily connect your ATA directly to your internet connection, bypassing the router and try an incoming call. This will tell us if the problem is with the router.

There is no way to record your outgoing voicemail greeting or see any incoming voicemails through the voip.ms portal. You have to record your outgoing message through the phone (*97).

Thanks crazyk,

I really don't have the time right now to rearrange things to access my cable modem directly. I will try that at a later time if need be, so thanks for that suggestion.

Yeah, there's still a real quick ring and then it stops and voicemail is playing.

I also contacted Obi support to make sure all the settings I changed stuck. Sometimes they don't. I found that out when I changed the ten digit dialing to seven digit dialing and it showed as being changed but it actually wasn't. Obi support had to change it and it was then operational.

Thanks everybody, I'm sure with all the help you guys are providing, it's just a matter of time until this issue is solved...

wideglide36

Altoona, PA
Reviews:
·voip.ms
·Future Nine Corp..
reply to wideglide36
Just an update.

In the screen shot mau provided it had his SIP/IAX selected unlike mine which had "ring group" selected.

So, I unselected "ring group" and selected "SIP/IAX" and tried calling into my number again and it worked fine. It did not go to voice mail.

So, I'm back to square one. How do I set things up so that when someone calls my voip.ms number, it rings the numbers in my ring group, and doesn't go directly to voice mail?

Thanks