crumbworks

join:2006-12-19
North York, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·Bell Sympatico

1 edit

[DSL] Modem issue / possible replacement

Hey all! I suppose this is like three mini questions.

Main part of question in bold if you wanna skim

1) I have the Thomson 585 wireless gateway, but it is starting to die after 2.5 years of heavy use. It randomly reboots, and recently, it was caught in a loop where it kept repeating the POST steps -- got to where it tried to connect to DSLAM then went back to just the power light on. Basically, the bootloader is toast or the board is dying. As a common last resort, I did a factory reset -- and while it works now, it still does that POST loop every day or two. So while it's working, it's definitely on its last legs. Any other steps I could try before replacing hardware? Figured I'd ask this first.

2) I am considering replacing it with the Thomson 516 modem (well, I know it's technically a 1-port router) and pairing it with my own router. I'm assuming the 516 supports going into bridge mode to allow it to function as a basic modem. Can you nice people confirm?

3) A local store in the area (Infonec) is selling that very unit for $50 brand new, which is a better deal than $75 through TekSavvy + $10 shipping. It's listed on their site as GNET TN516 THOMSON SPEEDTOUCH 516 ADSL2+ EXT ETHERNET MODEM/ROUTER 1PORT (TN516). Provided I input the proper VPI of 0.35 for ON/QC, can I buy the unit myself and use it with my TekSavvy 16 Mbps ADSL2+ service paired with my own router?

Thanks in advance!

Chris

Mike2009

join:2009-01-13
Ottawa, ON
kudos:3
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
1) Not sure.

2) Yes, you can put it in bridge mode.

3) Yes, you can buy it elsewhere and set it up for Teksavvy. There are good instruction on the Teksavvy website as well as speedtouch.ca.

If I were you I would not limit myself to Speedtouch. There are other choices out there with the same chipset for less money.

crumbworks

North York, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·Bell Sympatico
said by Mike2009:

If I were you I would not limit myself to Speedtouch. There are other choices out there with the same chipset for less money.

Nice...I wasn't sure if I had to limit myself or not.

Do you (or any other forum members) have any particular suggestions?

ChuckcZar

@teksavvy.com
reply to crumbworks
If the power supply is AC then the power supply has gone bad. Or it could be the firmware if you used the latest international firmware which tries to synch at the highest possible upload speed. This causes the modem to synch at a lower rate and possibly interleaved. Always use the latest firmware from the UK. DKS advised everyone to use the latest international firmware. This is why you shouldn't use it.

Mike2009

Ottawa, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to crumbworks
Here are some good choices.

»www.canadacomputers.com/product_···d=036727

»www.zoomtel.com/products/5760.html

2wire modems have a different chipset but are generally pretty good especially the ones with unlocked firmware.

TSILiz
Premium
join:2012-08-20
kudos:6
reply to crumbworks
If you have eliminated everything other than the modem as what is causing the disconnects (it seems you already have) a factory reset is a good last step before replacing the modem. Speedtouch modems can go into bridge, and you can buy it elsewhere without issues.

crumbworks

North York, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·Bell Sympatico
reply to crumbworks
said by ChuckcZar :

If the power supply is AC then the power supply has gone bad. Or it could be the firmware if you used the latest international firmware which tries to synch at the highest possible upload speed. This causes the modem to synch at a lower rate and possibly interleaved. Always use the latest firmware from the UK. DKS advised everyone to use the latest international firmware. This is why you shouldn't use it.

Do you mean the AC adapter cord? Interesting. I wonder if I have another with same connector and same voltage that I could test that theory with...

I have never flashed the firmware on it. It says "THOMSON TG585 v7"

said by Mike2009:

Here are some good choices.

Thanks. Will look into those. The D-Link you pointed out has great reviews on Newegg, and at $10 cheaper, seems like a good deal.

said by TSILiz:

If you have eliminated everything other than the modem as what is causing the disconnects (it seems you already have) a factory reset is a good last step before replacing the modem.

Thanks Elizabeth. I already tried the factory reset as I said, and at least its working for now... but the issue is intermittent. Replacement seems the best option, I guess.

TSILiz
Premium
join:2012-08-20
kudos:6
reply to crumbworks
If you want to post in the direct forum as well we can look and make sure your line and everything is checking out.

Mike2009

Ottawa, ON
reply to crumbworks
The D-Link is great. They even go on sale once in awhile. I paid $26 for mine.