uniqs

norbert26
Premium Member
join:2010-08-10
Warwick, RI

norbert26 to ropeguru

Premium Member

to ropeguru

Re: Boiler heating pipes and extended power outage.

said by ropeguru:

Is this a get away location or where you live year round?

The question above will determine what is proposed.

year round . A few rooms can be heated by the gas stove / portable propane heater(s). Some rooms would be closed off .

ropeguru
Premium Member
join:2001-01-25
Mechanicsville, VA

ropeguru

Premium Member

You mentioned a gas stove, is that propane or natural. Personally, with the small current draw of the boiler and circulator pump, I would get a generator that can handle the load to run just the heat and maybe a few lights.

I would be very leery of using a gas stove or propane heaters in an enclosed space such as a house for primary heat. Too much of a chance for carbon monoxide poisoning if something goes wrong, not to mention fire.

alkizmo
join:2007-06-25
Pierrefonds, QC

alkizmo to norbert26

to norbert26
said by norbert26:

year round . A few rooms can be heated by the gas stove / portable propane heater(s). Some rooms would be closed off .

Well, I googled a bit and there aren't real solutions to your problem, only PREVENTION tricks for short power outages, or just general usage.

However when I googled about draining those systems, it seems to be a yearly maintenance thing, so I guess doing that would prevent the pipes to freeze.

Next time, get a generator to hook up to your panel and you'll have a lot more comfort