spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

GTFan

join:2004-12-03

[DTA] Formerly free DTAs are now $1.99/mo. each in the ATL

Gotta love Comcast, charging for old junk that we got for free. Now I have to make a trip to their penal colony to return boxes that they never charged for before.

Yeah I know it's within their agreement with the FCC, but doing stuff like this is why people hate cable. These boxes are worthless now and should've been grandfathered in. I don't have a problem with charging for new DTAs installed, but I do for the old ones that were given out for free.

beachintech
There's sand in my tool bag
Premium
join:2008-01-06
kudos:5
They were given out with the stipulation they were only free for one to two years. Most people don't read what they are signing or agreeing to.
--
Ex-Tech at the Beach.
I speak for myself, not my former employer.

dishrich

join:2006-05-12
Springfield, IL
They must be doing something different in the ATL region then - up here, all newly acquired DTA's AFTER 7/1/12, would have the normal $2 monthly charge - regardless if it was a sub's first 2 DTA's or not.
But ALL subs that were currently getting their current 1-2 DTA's, would be grandfathered in at no charge; although they did NOT state it would be "as long as you were a current sub"...

mikedz4

join:2003-04-14
Weirton, WV
Mine are FREE too. As soon as they start charging for them they are going back. Mine isn't bad as I only have one. My family has 3 so that would be $6 more a month.

GTFan

join:2004-12-03

2 edits
reply to beachintech
said by beachintech:

They were given out with the stipulation they were only free for one to two years. Most people don't read what they are signing or agreeing to.

No, they weren't. At no point did they say they were going to charge for these, they simply said you were entitled to 2 free DTAs per account. Remember that they were given out because analog expanded basic went away and that hasn't changed. And now all of analog is gone, including the locals.
I don't care, personally, other than the sad inconvenience of wasting a decent chunk of my day at the local Comcast gulag returning them.

I'm not a betting man but I would wager that the poor and elderly on fixed incomes (with old SD CRTs) are the largest pop using these, and now they just got a $4/month increase for no real reason. I'm guessing Brian Roberts needed help making the payments on a new manse in Maui.

Russ6

join:2011-03-17
Houston, TX
kudos:1
said by GTFan:

said by beachintech:

No, they weren't. At no point did they say they were going to charge for these, they simply said you were entitled to 2 free DTAs per account. Remember that they were given out because expanded basic was encrypted and that hasn't changed. And now they're going to encrypt basic too.
I don't care, personally, other than the sad inconvenience of wasting a decent chunk of my day at the local Comcast gulag returning them.

I'm not a betting man but I would wager that the poor and elderly on fixed incomes (with old SD CRTs) are the largest pop using these, and now they just got a $4/month increase for no real reason.

The DTAs were given out because the analog channels were removed and only digital versions of the channels remained not because of encryption. The DTA converted the digital channel to analog. You are correct it started with Expanded Basic and then moved to Basic. The analog channels were removed to gain more bandwidth.
--
SA 8300 HD DVRs with Patched S25 Guide
Links:
'S25 Guide Blog' 'Schedule' 'Info' 'Patch Thread'

ctgreybeard
Old dogs can learn new tricks
Premium
join:2001-11-13
Bethel, CT
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to GTFan
If they start charging for my DTA it will be returned ASAP! We have one in the bedroom which we use maybe once a month.
--
Old dogs can learn new tricks!

camper
Premium
join:2010-03-21
Bethel, CT
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to beachintech
said by beachintech:

I did not see that stipulation in anything I read when I obtained the DTA.
Expand your moderator at work

PaulGo

join:2005-01-29
Gaithersburg, MD
reply to camper

Re: [DTA] Formerly free DTAs are now $1.99/mo. each in the ATL

Comcast will soon start encrypting all channels so if you want cable reception on your TV a DTA will be mandatory. Comcast will soon be offering HD DTA boxes which will allow you to receive all the channels you would normally be entitled to receive with a cable box except premium channels such as HBO. The HD DTA will not get VOD but it will have a program guide.

telcodad
Premium
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ
kudos:15
reply to dishrich
said by dishrich:

They must be doing something different in the ATL region then - up here, all newly acquired DTA's AFTER 7/1/12, would have the normal $2 monthly charge - regardless if it was a sub's first 2 DTA's or not.
But ALL subs that were currently getting their current 1-2 DTA's, would be grandfathered in at no charge; although they did NOT state it would be "as long as you were a current sub"...

Sounds like they will start charging us for those "grandfathered" DTAs here in the Freedom Region, as this notice was printed in my latest bill:
Effective Jan 1, 2013, the monthly price for Digital Adapter Outlet service on the first 2 additional outlets for customers with a minimum video subscription of Digital Starter, will change from No Charge to $1.49 per outlet. In addition, subscribers will be charged a separate equipment charge of $.50 per month for each Digital Adapter that is utilized on these outlets. Prices exclude applicable taxes and fees.

mikedz4

join:2003-04-14
Weirton, WV
Looks like I might be returning my dta then. It's just sitting in a box so if this is the case it will be going back.

ctgreybeard
Old dogs can learn new tricks
Premium
join:2001-11-13
Bethel, CT
Reviews:
·Comcast
Me too. I have two. One is hooked to the bedroom TV which we use maybe once a month, the other is on the shelf, never opened. I was planning on putting it into the guest bedroom but never had the need.

This whole thing is a real ripoff. We used to get basic cable right off the wire and now they are making us pay per drop? Sounds very very much like the old phone company that charged per phone. That was struck down years ago, maybe this one will be too?
--
Old dogs can learn new tricks!

insomniac
Oh Yeah
Premium
join:2002-09-22
Naperville, IL
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to GTFan
Just got this note in my bill in suburban Chicago. I don't absolutely need TV in the two places where these boxes are installed, so they will be returned very soon.
--
If everything seems to be going well, you've obviously overlooked something.