share rss forum feed

exocet_cm
Free at last, free at last
Premium
join:2003-03-23
New Orleans, LA
kudos:3

Indentify receptical

My generator manual says I have a NEMA L14-30R 125/250 volt 30 amp receptacle but it has what I have posted in the picture (sorry for my bad mspaint drawing).

From memory the L14-30R has the ground wire with the L towards the center. A Google search confirmed this. However on my generator I have the attached plug. It doesn't look like anything has been hacked together or swapped out and looks factory.
--
"I have measured out my life with coffee spoons..." - T.S Eliot
"I have often regretted my speech, never my silence." - Publilius Syrus
Ma blog: »www.johndball.com

tp0d
yabbazooie
Premium
join:2001-02-13
Carnegie, PA
kudos:6
Usually NEMA certified devices have a part number stamped on the connector somewhere.. For a receptacle, usually it's inside the circle of terminals..

def. a strange one there with the key to the outside

edit--------ooooo i think i found it..

L17-30R

-j
--
if it aint broke, tweak it!!
currently on FiOS (kick aZZ!)

John Galt
Forward, March
Premium
join:2004-09-30
Happy Camp
kudos:8
reply to exocet_cm
Look on the face of the device...what does it say?

Also, what brand of generator?

Msradell
P.E.
Premium
join:2008-12-25
Louisville, KY
reply to exocet_cm
Looks like a L14-20R.

dennismurphy
Put me on hold? I'll put YOU on hold
Premium
join:2002-11-19
Parsippany, NJ
reply to exocet_cm
L14-20R?

Take a picture with a flash (ie camera phone). There should be an indicator molded into the plastic.

cdru
Go Colts
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-14
Fort Wayne, IN
kudos:7
reply to tp0d
said by tp0d:

edit--------ooooo i think i found it..

L17-30R

That's a 3 phase 600v connector though. Probably not what his generator is capable of. But it is the only standard 30amp connector that's 3 pole 4 wire grounding. L14-, L15-, and L16-20R all could be with different orientation of the narrower pin. (Reference).

My guess is L14-20R, but that receptacle should have a smaller terminal opposite the ground terminal (the outward L). Does the generator have multiple breakers for identical receptacles, limiting each line to 20 amps but possibly a combined max load of 30 amps (7200 watts)?

exocet_cm
Premium
New Orleans, LA

1 recommendation

reply to John Galt
Click for full size

L14-20R

L17-30R

said by John Galt:

Look on the face of the device...what does it say?

Also, what brand of generator?

I got it from my dad who got it from my grandparent's house when they passed. They bought it brand new for them so at some point the receptacle must've been changed.

The face is worn but looking online it could be an L14-20R? Maybe somebody did replace this receptacle because it does call and is rated for an L14-30R outlet. I have to check if the neutral is smaller than the other two terminals. If it is than it is an L14-20R. If not then L17-30R. I'm sure the three terminals, less the ground, are the same size though.

»attachments.temcoindustrialpower···hief.pdf
Model: PC40H
2x 520R GFCI 120VAC
1x L530R 120VAC
1x L1430R 120/240VAC
Max output: 4000 watts
Full load amps @ 120 volts: 33.3
Full load amps @ 240 volts: 16.7

This is a Baldor branded generator with a Honda GX240 engine prior to the company being sold/renamed to Power Chief.

I would take a picture but I'm not in New Orleans.
--

exocet_cm
Premium
New Orleans, LA
reply to exocet_cm
Click for full size
They don't have their ducks in a row.

In the same manual the above is listed. This is what I have. L17?

John Galt
Forward, March
Premium
Happy Camp
reply to exocet_cm
You could change it if you want... as long as you do not change the circuit breaker rating then you should be golden.

Maybe someone "tripped" over the cord and broke the receptacle, and they replaced it with what they had in the junk box...??

Been there and seen that...

leibold
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-09
Sunnyvale, CA
kudos:10
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
reply to exocet_cm
It seems that you assume that there were no product changes from the original Baldor generator (which you have) to the 2004 manual that you linked to. If you check the PC40H schematic it does show the L14-30R with the flag in the correct orientation. Given the picture of a L14-20R outlet in other places of the manual (perhaps overlooked during product revision?) and the fact that the PC40H is rated at only 16.7A it could very well be that the original product only had a L14-20R outlet.
--
Got some spare cpu cycles ? Join Team Helix or Team Starfire!

whizkid3
Premium,MVM
join:2002-02-21
Queens, NY
kudos:9
reply to exocet_cm
Looks much more like an L14-20R, which is a 20 amp receptacle for 3-wire, 240/120 volts. It will have two hots, a neutral and a ground - very typical for a small generator.

alkizmo

join:2007-06-25
Pierrefonds, QC
kudos:1

1 edit
Click for full size
Definitively 20R
30R the little corner on the GROUND goes inward.

Now as for the difference... well, go look on the generator.

I don't know how much importance there is on the XXR rating.

My generator is L5-20R, but the breaker protecting it is rated 25A.
Sooooo...

exocet_cm
Premium
New Orleans, LA
reply to exocet_cm
Thanks for the replies.

Aside from the outlet, and since the manual could be different, is there any way to determine max amperage for this circuit?

John Galt
Forward, March
Premium
Happy Camp
said by exocet_cm:

Aside from the outlet, and since the manual could be different, is there any way to determine max amperage for this circuit?

Circuit breaker rating...

leibold
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-09
Sunnyvale, CA
kudos:10
reply to exocet_cm
The manual states 16.7A for each of the two hot legs.

alkizmo

Pierrefonds, QC
reply to exocet_cm
said by exocet_cm:

Thanks for the replies.

Full load amps @ 120 volts: 33.3
Full load amps @ 240 volts: 16.7

Now I'm betting they means 33.3A on 120v as in the total of the two legs.

So probably 15A breaker if they don't want the generator to die because of one leg being overloaded. 20A would be too much.

exocet_cm
Premium
New Orleans, LA
reply to exocet_cm
Not from the manual, from the generator itself. Any where I should look on the generator? Circuit breaker the only option?

Since the manual is reporting different things, and my generator might be from before the manual was updated, I'd rather look on the generator itself.
--

alkizmo

Pierrefonds, QC
It MIGHT be written near the outlet, or somewhere on the specs tag.

You won't get more than 16A out of each 120V leg, so I wouldn't worry about the breakers being UNDERrated, I'd worry about them being overrated and allowing you to stall your generator.

exocet_cm
Premium
New Orleans, LA
said by alkizmo:

It MIGHT be written near the outlet, or somewhere on the specs tag.

But what does it matter what the breakers are?
You won't get more than 16A out of each 120V leg, meaning you can't expect to get more than the minimum out of each circuit (15A).

Curious as to what it is putting out. It worked great during Hurricane Isaac running out of the L5-30 circuit but I've never used the L14 circuit and I want to know what it can put out before I use it.
--

Speedy Petey

join:2008-01-19
reply to exocet_cm
A 4kW genset would typically have an L14-20, not an L14-30.

alkizmo

Pierrefonds, QC
reply to exocet_cm
said by exocet_cm:

Curious as to what it is putting out. It worked great during Hurricane Isaac running out of the L5-30 circuit but I've never used the L14 circuit and I want to know what it can put out before I use it.

It can output twice what the L5 did, but not combined.

As in, it can offer 2000W on one circuit and 2000W on another circuit, but it cannot do 4000W on ONE circuit unless its 240v.

If you really have L14-30R, it's just a receptacle and doesn't mean it is able to do 30A @ 240v. Maybe it's just the manufacturer saving money by simply using the same receptacle on all their generator models.

exocet_cm
Premium
New Orleans, LA
said by alkizmo:

said by exocet_cm:

It can output twice what the L5 did, but not combined.

As in, it can offer 2000W on one circuit and 2000W on another circuit, but it cannot do 4000W on ONE circuit unless its 240v.

If you really have L14-30R, it's just a receptacle and doesn't mean it is able to do 30A @ 240v. Maybe it's just the manufacturer saving money by simply using the same receptacle on all their generator models.

Ok, cool.

You guys have answered a lot. When I get back to New Orleans I'll check and confirm the plug type. If it is different than what was listed here I'll update the thread.

Again, thanks for all of yall's help.
--