join:2004-11-10
Coppell, TX
kudos:1

2 edits
reply to dirtyjeffer

Re: Apple now has a Lightning to Micro USB Cable

said by dirtyjeffer:

said by Nezmo:

This is Apple arrogance at it's best. Had Apple offered the adapters for a reasonable price I think there would be less frustration out there.

in any event, if the $2 cable is that important to you, then don't buy an iPhone5...no one says you have to buy one.

Thank you for that advice.

I have not bought an iPhone 5. The connector is not the only reason.

I have two Apple cables that have come apart at the plug (the cable sheathing has separated where it enters the plug). I never pull a cord by the cable, only by the plug and when not in use I curl it up loosely and put it in a drawer. Again, the premium Apple is charging is a gouge. They can still set their products apart if they must by charging more than $2 but the money they want for their cables and adapters is rather sad.
--
My Gallery
Formerly Nezmo

dirtyjeffer
Anons on ignore, but not due to fear.
Premium
join:2002-02-21
London, ON
said by Nezmo:

I have two Apple cables that have come apart at the plug (the cable sheathing has separated where it enters the plug). I never pull a cord by the cable, only by the plug and when not in use I curl it up loosely and put it in a drawer. Again, the premium Apple is charging is a gouge. They can still set their products apart if they must by charging more than $2 but the money they want for their cables and adapters is rather sad.

the previous connector was used for the last 9 years...a new connector was needed as it was too large for the new chassis...i highly doubt the issues you have seen with your old connector would happen with the Lightning connector...it is a much better connector (my iPad and nano use the old connector).
--
People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

- George Orwell

Nezmo
The name's Bond. James Bond.
Premium,MVM
Coppell, TX

1 recommendation

said by dirtyjeffer:

said by Nezmo:

the previous connector was used for the last 9 years...a new connector was needed as it was too large for the new chassis...i highly doubt the issues you have seen with your old connector would happen with the Lightning connector...it is a much better connector (my iPad and nano use the old connector).

So the physical construction of the new connector is better? Is there data supporting that?
--
My Gallery
Formerly Nezmo

dirtyjeffer
Anons on ignore, but not due to fear.
Premium
join:2002-02-21
London, ON
said by Nezmo:

So the physical construction of the new connector is better? Is there data supporting that?

it has nothing to do with the physical construction of it...the design on its own virtually eliminates those problems...it is one of the advantages of the Lightning connector.

Nezmo
The name's Bond. James Bond.
Premium,MVM
Coppell, TX
reply to dirtyjeffer
said by dirtyjeffer:

said by Nezmo:

Hopefully the new connector is better. The information in this thread about Apple OEM cables is more of what I have seen.

»My power cable is shredding
--
My Gallery
Formerly Nezmo

Count Zero
Obama-Biden 2012
Premium
join:2007-01-18
Winston Salem, NC
I had 10+ Apple USB-30 pin cables and only saw a very few every have problems and they were always several years old or very heavily used and abused when they started showing signs of wear.

I did see a problem with Apple's original MagSafe connectors having wear & tear at the juncture but since they've gone to the L shaped connector that has been much better.

sk1939
Premium
join:2010-10-23
Mclean, VA
kudos:10
Reviews:
·T-Mobile US
·Verizon FiOS
said by Count Zero:

I had 10+ Apple USB-30 pin cables and only saw a very few every have problems and they were always several years old or very heavily used and abused when they started showing signs of wear.

I did see a problem with Apple's original MagSafe connectors having wear & tear at the juncture but since they've gone to the L shaped connector that has been much better.

Perhaps, but the new Magsafe 2 is back to the original T design sadly (will probably see the same problems).

Count Zero
Obama-Biden 2012
Premium
join:2007-01-18
Winston Salem, NC
Well let's hope not for the consumer's sake. I think it's possible that if they use thicker/stiffer/sturdier rubber on the cable that perhaps the wear and tear won't be as bad - but only time will tell.

rugby
I think I know it all.
VIP
join:2000-09-26
Plainfield, IN
reply to sk1939
It seems a bit sturdier at the cuff so it should be ok.