All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs

eeeaddict
join:2010-02-14

eeeaddict

Fiber network for your neighbourhood?

I was wondering how hard it would be to get fiber for your neighbourhood so I decided to guesstimate how much it would cost for my area just for fun I know I'm forgetting a lot of things but the costs i've seen (assuming nothing is buried) and you get some buddies to help
(lets pretend we like 10 km away from somewhere to hookup the fiber, and that we can get 50 people to sign up)

Shared costs:
pole rental = $5 per pole per year 262 poles = $1310 yearly
Singlemode Cable: $500 per km so $5k for 10km
gigabit transit: $12k per year
routing/switches/ other hardware = $4000

(I know its inefficient but it seems a mediaconverter to a 48 port switch back to fiber to each persons home its the best I can think of other than gpon)

Customer costs:
5-10 poles to reach main line = 2.08/4.16 per month (remember that this will only be in your neighbourhood so most of these will service more than one home)
TWO 1gbit Media Converters=$100 one time cost
250m of singlemode = $150
install time if you do it yourself so lets say $70?

Startup out of pocket for equipment would be $9000
So that would mean you would have a $320 install cost
and the shared monthly price for lets say 50/50 or (100/100 if you want to be risky) will be ~$50 plus 20 per month extra for maintenance and profit

So that would mean 100/100 FTTH for around $70 per month plus tax I know this is bad math and I'm forgetting a lot but remember this is for fun
HeadSpinning
MNSi Internet
join:2005-05-29
Windsor, ON

HeadSpinning

A number of your assumptions are way off.

You're looking more at around $20k to $25k for fibre construction and ENGINEERING costs. Pole rentals are 5 times the amount you listed per year, as per the OEB.

I could go on, but you get the idea.
prairiesky
join:2008-12-08
canada

prairiesky to eeeaddict

to eeeaddict
Speaking from experience,

Pole rentals are $30/pole/year.
Armoured Single mode cable i'm using is, $0.38/ft for 6 strand, add $0.01/ft for each additional strand
Transit could be reasonable if you can get that fiber into a major center. but your costs of doing so would be rather large.
The Gpon equipment I'm using costs roughly $75/sub, chassis - $300, management card $200, line cards that can each max handle 32 subs - $550 each. Now this is cost effective gear, get into the big names and that price sky rockets.

I'm almost done stringing the one community, I have approx 20'000 feet in the ground.

Add in your test equipment -
Budget OTDR - $1600
Power meters - $500

It's adding up quick!

Oh, and connectors, easy to use connectors that don't require polishing, $10-15 a piece! don't mess them up.

I'm not discouraging you from trying. Just providing more realistic pricing.

dillyhammer
START me up
Premium Member
join:2010-01-09
Scarborough, ON

dillyhammer

Premium Member

said by prairiesky:

I'm not discouraging you from trying. Just providing more realistic pricing.

So, take OP's numbers and triple them.

$950 install cost for each of 50 partner = $47,500 startup.

$200 per month for 100/100 FTTH for 50 partners = $10,000/YR.

Is that realistic, ball-park speaking?

Mike

battleop
join:2005-09-28

battleop to eeeaddict

to eeeaddict
I don't know the rules in Canada but I imagine that you can't just call up the local power company and rent pole space. There is probably something similar to being a CLEC in the US that you would have to go thorugh.

Also $1k/mo for 1Gb transit is not very realistic unless your just happen to have a datacenter in your neighborhood. You also need to account for other things like IP space from ARIN, redundant links, etc.

In short the $1/mb stories you read are extreamly misleading.

eeeaddict
join:2010-02-14

eeeaddict

I wasn't actually asuming those were real numbers just the bare minimum if you don't care about redundancy and I know they were extremely low, also good point about the renting space I was wondering what were the rules but since I couldn't find any I didn't put anything in

battleop
join:2005-09-28

battleop

If it was really that easy and cheap everyone would be doing it. The whole scope of offering internet service is much more expensive than the front page of this website will lead you to believe.
HeadSpinning
MNSi Internet
join:2005-05-29
Windsor, ON

HeadSpinning to battleop

to battleop
said by battleop:

I don't know the rules in Canada but I imagine that you can't just call up the local power company and rent pole space. There is probably something similar to being a CLEC in the US that you would have to go thorugh.

You can rent pole space without being a CLEC, but in order to offer services to the public, you must be a Canadian Carrier as defined by the CRTC.

Private companies obtain ROW and pole attachment agreements from time to time to link nearby properties they own, but they're only allowed to do so under the condition that they not offer services to the public.

Additionally, the municipality or power utility is not required to give consent, but they are not prohibited from doing so.

In the case of a registered carrier, the municipality is required to give consent, and prohibited from not giving consent unless they can give a specific valid reason as to why consent should not be provided. The CRTC is the final arbiter in case of disagreement.