how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Ralphy

@mycingular.net

[OOL] Backup for OOL in case of outage like with Sandy for busin

Greetings hope everyone is safe
Would DSL be only viable option as secondary to OOL ?

Need all suggestion for a commercial usage

SHoTTa35

@optonline.net

Re: [OOL] Backup for OOL in case of outage like with Sandy for b

Unless you want MetroE or some direct T1 line to your office then DSL is your only option as the others are crazy priced! T1s can be like $300+ a month for only 1.5Mbps MetroE goes up to 10Gbps for crazy pricing but 100Mbps should be in the $300 price range too (I think).

Millwood
Premium
join:2002-04-27
Millwood, NY
reply to Ralphy

I know people who tether their cell phone to get access. It can get expensive depending on the data plan, of course.

JoeSchmoe007
Premium
join:2003-01-19
Brooklyn, NY
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
reply to Ralphy

Depends on your speed/bandwidth needs.

For low usage (email, light browsing) tethering to cellphone (Android works, don't know about iPhone) is an option. Clients can connect to cellphone directly (wirelessly) or you can connect your router to the cell phone wirelessly and use existing wiring. As far as providers go I have an experience with PagePlus (»www.pagepluscellular.com/) and T-Mobile prepaid. To keep PagePlus account active will cost you $10 every 4 months minimum ($30/year). Or you can just activate it as needed via their website. Their $55/months plan includes 2GB of traffic and they only support 3G phones. For T-Mobile tak a look at this: »prepaid-phones.t-mobile.com/pay-···ne-plans (note that only first 200MB/day is 4G on $3/day plan)

Another alternative is this: »www.freedompop.com/

Of course keep in mind that in case of disaster any service can become overloaded and/or unavailable.

jaa
Premium
join:2000-06-13
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Vonage
·Optimum Online
reply to Ralphy

We use a Verizon MiFi, and connect that to the router WAN port with a bridge.

The problem with DSL is it is slower, and if the wires are down that is down too.

The MiFi is expensive - $50/mo, and $10/Gb after 5Gb on our plan.

I know of an insurance agency with 10 computers that does this. Their exchange email is hosted offsite, as well as their main insurance application. No issues with the 4G MiFi serving the whole office - other than cost.
--
NOTHING justifies terrorism. We don't negotiate with terrorists. Those that support terrorists are terrorists.

UofMiamiGrad
Premium
join:2001-02-03
Great Neck, NY
reply to Ralphy

At our law firm with around 20 computers or so, we have BOOL Boost w/Static IP and for our back-up have VZ DSL with Static IP. Pay around $90/month for the DSL, but it has come in handy when we've had issues with OOL. Funny enough, we got power back on Thursday at the office and the DSL is down but the OOL is online. So if you qualify for DSL, for the small cost it makes sense IMO.

MxxCon

join:1999-11-19
Brooklyn, NY
reply to Ralphy

keep in mind that DSL also requires power. if you lost power then you are SOL.
Depending on your bandwidth requirements consider getting some sort of wireless/cell connection. If money is not an option, consider getting a connection with SLA.
--
[Sig removed by Administrator: signature can not exceed 20GB]

Bob4
Account deleted

join:2012-07-22
New Jersey
Reviews:
·Optimum Online

said by MxxCon:

Depending on your bandwidth requirements consider getting some sort of wireless/cell connection.

T-Mobile and AT&T were down around here. Verizon Wireless was up.

kingsx

join:2006-02-15
Matawan, NJ
reply to Ralphy

I just got my power back today after 6 days. During the storm I used Verizon LTE on my iPhone and iPad and the service was excellent (not as fast as the 30mbps I usually get), but stable and reliable. I was definitely thankful that it worked so well, I was able to keep in contact with my family and friends as well as work. It made a difficult situation bearable. I spent a lot of time directly in front of my fireplace with iPad in hand.

Now that power is back, I find that OOL and TV are both still out, and I'm using the LTE hotspot with my laptop. I have to be careful about data usage as I'm fast approaching my 4GB/month limit, but at least I'm operational.

MxxCon

join:1999-11-19
Brooklyn, NY

VZ will be HUGE dicks they will charge you overage for this month considering the situation.
--
[Sig removed by Administrator: signature can not exceed 20GB]

frdrizzt

join:2008-05-03
Ronkonkoma, NY

I had 4G working with slow/intermittent loss of connection at my home during storm, 3G was non-existent (says my wife with the iPhone 4S), and voice calls were hit & miss (sometimes did not ring, or no/one-way audio).

xirian
Premium
join:2003-01-26
Beacon, NY
kudos:1
reply to JoeSchmoe007

said by JoeSchmoe007:

Depends on your speed/bandwidth needs.

Another alternative is this: »www.freedompop.com/

Of course keep in mind that in case of disaster any service can become overloaded and/or unavailable.

Freedompop is wimax, so if you don't have good/any coverage from clear it'll be the same on freedompop.

jaa
Premium
join:2000-06-13
Reviews:
·Vonage
·Optimum Online
reply to MxxCon

said by MxxCon:

VZ will be HUGE dicks they will charge you overage for this month considering the situation.

They will charge. They charged me for my overages with Irene and with the snowstorm. I get 5Gb per month. My usage is almost always less than 1Gb, except with the storms.
--
NOTHING justifies terrorism. We don't negotiate with terrorists. Those that support terrorists are terrorists.

limegrass69
Here's my Posting tag

join:2008-05-28
reply to Ralphy

A SLA means nothing. My office never lost power and we just got our Lightpath service back over the weekend.

OOL came back on Thursday.

Mobile hotspot came in somewhat handy, but Verizon was overloaded and the speed was slow.

oolcableusr

join:2010-02-17
Centereach, NY

We use a Verizon Wireless USB EVDO USB Modem plugged into an old computer. We have internet sharing set up on the XP Pro OS on that computer- it gets plugged into our switch when OOL goes down and lets us send emails, etc. We used it for several days last week.

We also are close enough to a OOL Hotspot that we can connect with that (if it's up) using internet sharing on another old computer the same way we do with the Verizon Wireless USB EVDO USB Modem.

The difference is- the Wireless USB EVDO USB Modem gives us .15mbs down on speedtest.net and the OOL Hotspot gives us 14mbs down. So when OOL is down- I check if the Hotspot is up and we use that if we can- if not we go to plan "C" which is Verizon.

It's nice to have two backups to OOL wired service.

Here's the USB dongle I use to reach the OOL hotspot:
»www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a···33166074

mwolfson
Mel In Brooklyn

join:2002-06-30
reply to jaa

said by jaa:

We use a Verizon MiFi, and connect that to the router WAN port with a bridge.

Does anyone know of a router which could be connected to both OOL and MyFi would use the MyFi as a fallback? I believe I saw one in the past but cannot locate it now. Thanks