Damn Kidney Stones
Premium,ExMod 2002
join:2001-03-22
Owen Sound, ON
kudos:2
reply to neochu

Re: This Is Why We Need Pay Phones

said by neochu:

100 year old paper insulated copper plant will disintegrate in highly acidic salt water just as fast as wind and other elements bring down cell towers and transmission equipment.

Which is what 60% of the backbone is still because its to expensive to re-string.

Most copper is much newer than that, having been rebuilt in the 1950's and 60's as part of national defense response capability. And it is plastic-encased, not paper.
--
Need-based health care not greed-based health care.

LazMan
Premium
join:2003-03-26
canada
said by DKS:

Most copper is much newer than that, having been rebuilt in the 1950's and 60's as part of national defense response capability. And it is plastic-encased, not paper.

There are 10's, if not 100's of thousands of miles of paper-cable still in use... My cable repair guys work on paper probably once a week, if not more... Daily, in some more remote areas. I can guarantee there's paper-cable still in place in Owen Sound.

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones
Premium,ExMod 2002
Owen Sound, ON
said by LazMan:

said by DKS:

There are 10's, if not 100's of thousands of miles of paper-cable still in use... My cable repair guys work on paper probably once a week, if not more... Daily, in some more remote areas. I can guarantee there's paper-cable still in place in Owen Sound.

There may well be. But in areas exposed to moisture? Not likely. In buildings, perhaps.
--

LazMan
Premium
canada
said by DKS:

said by LazMan:

said by DKS:

There may well be. But in areas exposed to moisture? Not likely. In buildings, perhaps.

In the air, on the site of the road, underground in duct structure. You're right, it's not likely - it's a fact. It still out there.

As for the water-proof-ness (is that a word?) - many cables still rely on air-dryers - air is pumped into the cable from the CO, and remotes, to keep positive pressure in the cable, and prevent water infiltration. If the power to the air compressor fails, the cable will go wet, sometimes in very short order, depending on the region.

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones
Premium,ExMod 2002
Owen Sound, ON
said by LazMan:

In the air, on the site of the road, underground in duct structure. You're right, it's not likely - it's a fact. It still out there.

As for the water-proof-ness (is that a word?) - many cables still rely on air-dryers - air is pumped into the cable from the CO, and remotes, to keep positive pressure in the cable, and prevent water infiltration. If the power to the air compressor fails, the cable will go wet, sometimes in very short order, depending on the region.

Surprising to hear that, given that in this area, moisture is a serious issue. The water table in sections of the city is about two feet below grade. Many houses in the centre of town can't have basements of any depth.
--

LazMan
Premium
canada
said by DKS:

Surprising to hear that, given that in this area, moisture is a serious issue. The water table in sections of the city is about two feet below grade. Many houses in the centre of town can't have basements of any depth.

I didn't do OSP construction for long - as great as it was being up a pole in May or June was, February sucked - I moved into inside maintenance quickly... But I was very surprised about what was considered 'normal' - manholes that routinely have 4-6' of water in them, how old some cable-plant was, and the amount of repairs or damage that was required before planning would actually replace cable with modern stuff...