Search similar:

uniqs
JoeSchmoe007
Premium Member
join:2003-01-19
Brooklyn, NY

JoeSchmoe007

Premium Member

[Optimum Voice] How was phone service during power outage?

I only have internet from CV and would like to now.

After you lost power if you have Optimum Voice I assume you have a battery in your cable modem.

Did you phone service keep working? For how long?
frdrizzt
join:2008-05-03
Ronkonkoma, NY

frdrizzt

This is not a normal situation. You can always hook up your modem to a UPS, or ask neighbors their experience. A local business with Optimum service would probably be able to give a lot of info.

WK2
Premium Member
join:2006-12-28
united state

WK2 to JoeSchmoe007

Premium Member

to JoeSchmoe007
The battery should keep the phone service going for a few hours
JoeSchmoe007
Premium Member
join:2003-01-19
Brooklyn, NY

JoeSchmoe007

Premium Member

said by WK2:

The battery should keep the phone service going for a few hours

I know that this is the case in theory. I was wondering about actual experience.

limegrass69
No Whammies
join:2008-05-28

limegrass69 to JoeSchmoe007

to JoeSchmoe007
My OOL service worked for about 6 hours until the modem battery died. My neighbor (has a generator) had all 3 services for about 18 hours after we lost power.

All 3 services were out for about 2.5 days after the power came back on.

YMMV
majortom1029
join:2006-10-19
Medford, NY

majortom1029 to JoeSchmoe007

to JoeSchmoe007
The problem is how long do the nodes battery backup last. You can connect the modem to a generator but if the node is out of power you will still lose service.

Tech
@optonline.net

Tech

Anon

The nodes will stay up about 6 hours on battery depending on the load. CV techs are on generator powering the node and in some instances there are unmanned generator chained to power supplies

Jmartz0
join:2000-07-20
Tenafly, NJ

Jmartz0 to JoeSchmoe007

to JoeSchmoe007
Unless of course the lines go down with the electric... then it stops working instantly. Your results will vary depending on the situation.
Bob4
Account deleted
join:2012-07-22
New Jersey

Bob4 to Tech

to Tech
said by Tech :

CV techs are on generator powering the node and in some instances there are unmanned generator chained to power supplies

I saw no evidence of this in my neighborhood during the past week. Also OptWiFi hotspots in blacked-out areas were not working until power was restored.
TheWiseGuy
Dog And Butterfly
MVM
join:2002-07-04
East Stroudsburg, PA

TheWiseGuy

MVM

said by Bob4:

said by Tech :

CV techs are on generator powering the node and in some instances there are unmanned generator chained to power supplies

I saw no evidence of this in my neighborhood during the past week. Also OptWiFi hotspots in blacked-out areas were not working until power was restored.

Optimum WiFi was working here and as far as I can tell almost the whole neighborhood was out. I used it in at least 4 spots were the cross streets power was out.

rtbond
join:2007-11-28
Hopatcong, NJ

rtbond to JoeSchmoe007

to JoeSchmoe007
My phone service went out with the electric, despite the Cable Modem being locally backed-up. I assume the event (e.g., falling tree) that took out the commercial power also took out the HFC network.

Normally I get at least a couple of hours of phone service after AC power is lost.

blohner
join:2002-06-26
Lehigh Acres, FL

blohner to Tech

to Tech
I saw that on nodes but never (so far) on additional Alpha boxes that power line amps... e.g. I was out for a week because of this... Just got OOL back last night... FIOS would have made a killing had they ad any sense: My ONT was still showing good path to the CO - but VZ was unwilling to setup without a site visit... they never change.... OOL came back when power was restored to the primary running to the alpha box.... In retrospect I am happy that I had power without OOL vs. OOL without power... Of course a more reliant network topology will be a must going forward - I don't think Sandy is an 'if it happens again' but more of a 'when will it happen next' event... All Utilities will need to wake up to this quickly...

JayinNj
@comcastbusiness.net

JayinNj to JoeSchmoe007

Anon

to JoeSchmoe007
As soon as the power was out, cable, internet, voice was out. It didn't seem to be backed up at all. I had my generator running right away and never got a signal. I don't believe the lines were taken out locally at least since every thing is underground.

Gest
@optonline.net

Gest to TheWiseGuy

Anon

to TheWiseGuy
If your whole nieghborhood was out then most likely every power supply may have been out 1-4 or more. There not gonna put that many generators for houses that dont have electric. Maybe a few houses with generators may have benefited but overall no

jaa
Premium Member
join:2000-06-13

jaa

Premium Member

We never lost power, but CV services were out for 5 days. Came right on when they restored power to the street where the node is.

Happens to us each storm - never seen a CV generator.

limegrass69
No Whammies
join:2008-05-28

limegrass69

I saw one in Bedford, NY this morning. It was being watched by a Cablevision tech.

kdshapiro
join:2000-03-29
Eatontown, NJ

kdshapiro to JoeSchmoe007

to JoeSchmoe007
TV, Internet and Phone went out with the power, despite that I have a UPS hooked to the computer equipment. Power was out for 8 days. edit - as another poster state wifi hotspots were also disabled.

Gest
@optonline.net

Gest to jaa

Anon

to jaa
Are you on longisland jaa?

Jmartz0
join:2000-07-20
Tenafly, NJ

Jmartz0 to JoeSchmoe007

to JoeSchmoe007
My parents cable service went out hours before they lost electric. They were told that there was flooding and equipment damage at the head-end. Then the electric went out for 4 days. Then it came back and the Optimum was still out... it came back a day later then for 2 days after that it would go out for several hours at a time and then come back. I think it's safe to say that every outage is different and could be caused by a magnitude of different things..