uniqs

mbernste
MVM
join:2001-06-30
Piscataway, NJ

mbernste

MVM

[OOL] Recommended DOCSIS 3 modem?

I have been putting off swapping out my SBV5120 modem for a DOCSIS 3 modem since everything was working. I am currently a "Sandy refugee" at my parents house due to a lack of power. They have Comcast and have an Arris TM722 (Comcast out of the blue sent them a new modem). After seeing the speeds that they get (illustrated in this post), I'm thinking I really should swap out my modem. Once my power comes back and I have a return to normalcy, what's the recommended DOCSIS 3 to request? I did a little searching through the forum but it wasn't clear what the best one was to ask for. Also, can I just walk into an Optimum store and say that I want to swap out my perfectly working old DOCSIS 2 modem for a 3 like I did to get the new remote for the eventual new guide?

frdrizzt
join:2008-05-03
Ronkonkoma, NY

frdrizzt

From my observation when returning boxes & getting a replacement remote, the walk-in center by me has taken docsis 3 swaps with no hassle. Tell them you see slow speeds if you have to, especially if you do.

Thinkdiff
MVM,
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY

Thinkdiff to mbernste

MVM,

to mbernste
Whichever they give you at the walk-in center is fine - most likely an Arris. If you don't have OOL Boost Plus (which you don't if you're still on D2), you won't see any better speeds unless your area was already saturated.

With Boost Plus and a D3 modem, you'll get ~60/8.

WK2
Premium Member
join:2006-12-28
united state

WK2 to mbernste

Premium Member

to mbernste
Arris makes a great D3 modem
Rojo31
join:2009-04-14
New York, NY

Rojo31

Has anyone swapped the D3 SBV6220 for the D3 Arris 822 and seen an improvement?
dm145
join:2009-12-12
Clifton, NJ

dm145 to mbernste

to mbernste
A D3 modem will not get you your parents speeds unless you upgrade to boost+

mbernste
MVM
Piscataway, NJ

mbernste

MVM

said by dm145:

A D3 modem will not get you your parents speeds unless you upgrade to boost+

I'm well aware of that, but its good to have the latest technology with the most options. For now, I just want to get my power back.
Bob4
Account deleted
join:2012-07-22
New Jersey

Bob4

Unless you're not getting the advertised speed, you'll just be wasting everyone's time and money.

mbernste
MVM
Piscataway, NJ

mbernste

MVM

said by Bob4:

you'll just be wasting everyone's time and money.

Whose time and money? Cablevision provides the modem as part of my subscription.
Bob4
Account deleted
New Jersey

Bob4

said by mbernste:

said by Bob4:

you'll just be wasting everyone's time and money.

Whose time and money? Cablevision provides the modem as part of my subscription.

Your time and my money. You think CV gets the modem for free? You think CV employees work for free? Getting an unnecessary modem swap will cost us all more money.

La Luna
Fly With The Angels My Beloved Son Chris
Premium Member
join:2001-07-12
New Port Richey, FL

La Luna to mbernste

Premium Member

to mbernste
You haven't said what speeds you get at YOUR home. Are they within normal range for your speed tier? If so, a DOCSIS 3 modem won't change that or make it better in any way. Unless you are willing to upgrade to Boost, there's no point in getting a new modem. That is the point Bob4 See Profile is trying to make.

If you decide to upgrade a later time, by all means get a new modem then.

mbernste
MVM
Piscataway, NJ

mbernste

MVM

said by La Luna:

Unless you are willing to upgrade to Boost, there's no point in getting a new modem.

I already have Boost. I am considering getting Boost+. I still would like to have the newest technology modem. My aunt has an Arris (she has Cablevision) and has the standard tier and she often gets full speeds and takes advantage of the overcapping Cablevision provides.
Bob4
Account deleted
New Jersey

Bob4

said by La Luna:
You haven't said what speeds you get at YOUR home.
Well?

mbernste
MVM
Piscataway, NJ

mbernste

MVM

Can't do a speed test when you have no electricity, can you?
KeyLogger
join:2007-08-08

KeyLogger

use webchat to downgrade.
go to CV store if they say you have to upgrade to get it, then you only need to say ok
Bob4
Account deleted
New Jersey

Bob4 to mbernste

to mbernste
Then get back to us when you do.

mbernste
MVM
Piscataway, NJ

mbernste

MVM

Finally got my power back. Included are my signal levels. I have Optimum boost and I'm not getting those speeds.

Bob4
Account deleted
New Jersey

Bob4

Try testing with the Comcast server in Plainfield.

Thinkdiff
MVM,
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY

Thinkdiff to mbernste

MVM,

to mbernste
Wired or Wireless? As Nyan Cat said, try different servers as well.

If your area is really that congested, a D3 modem should help. Might as well upgrade to Boost Plus at the same time (unless you currently receive the $5 discount for OOL Boost+Voice)

La Luna
Fly With The Angels My Beloved Son Chris
Premium Member
join:2001-07-12
New Port Richey, FL

La Luna to mbernste

Premium Member

to mbernste
Ok, NOW you might want to get the newer modem, it *may* help (or may not, depending on what the problem is).

Geez, it's like pulling teeth to get information around here.

mbernste
MVM
Piscataway, NJ

mbernste to Thinkdiff

MVM

to Thinkdiff
said by Thinkdiff:

(unless you currently receive the $5 discount for OOL Boost+Voice)

I do get a discount for that. It might be worth my while getting a new modem.