dslreports logo
    All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed
« inevitable...One more »
This is a sub-selection from Less than $1/mbit....

depster

join:2001-06-07
united state

1 recommendation

reply to Crookshanks

Re: Less than $1/mbit....

said by Crookshanks:

.... which is a very great deal for an effectively dedicated connection, presuming they have enough back-haul to support it.

I would stop short of calling this a dedicated connection, and it should not be compared to your employers dedicated business connection.

My understanding of terminology is that a "dedicated connection" allocates you a CDR (committed data rate) directly to the providers POP (point of presence), where the data is off-loaded to other providers.

I don't believe Comcast is providing a guarantee or CDR under this residential grade service. While speeds may reach the stated maximum, bandwidth is still shared between users out of the same CMTS/head-end

Crookshanks

join:2008-02-04
Binghamton, NY

1 recommendation

There is no CMTS here, it's essentially their metro area ethernet product. It isn't dedicated in the sense that you get an SLR/CDR, but I would wager that the only bottleneck on such a connection is the ability of Comcast's peering partners to move enough bits to peg the connection.

My employer doesn't even get a CDR to the internet, it's only dedicated to the edges of Time Warner's network, which is all any provider can promise.

whfsdude
Premium
join:2003-04-05
Washington, DC
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to depster
said by depster:

I don't believe Comcast is providing a guarantee or CDR under this residential grade service. While speeds may reach the stated maximum, bandwidth is still shared between users out of the same CMTS/head-end

Correct. It doesn't come with a CDR or SLA. However, it does use their MetroE infrastructure.

Rojo

join:2009-04-14
New York, NY
kudos:1
reply to depster
Thank you for explaining the acronyms. Wish more would do that