Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·VoicePulse
·Sprint Mobile Br..
·RapidVPS
reply to Crookshanks

Re: Getting 305/65

said by Crookshanks:

Must be nice to have piles of cash floating around to sink into your internet connection. You're going to be paying more for your internet connection than my combined car payment/gas bill/maintenance...

Different strokes for different folks. Me personally, I would drive an adequate car with no monthly car payment or not smoke and go out to bars every weekend and put the money towards something like this instead.
--
Usenet Block Accounts | Unlimited Accounts

Crookshanks

join:2008-02-04
Binghamton, NY
said by swintec:

Me personally, I would drive an adequate car with no monthly car payment or not smoke and go out to bars every weekend and put the money towards something like this instead.

Umm, the point was some of us wouldn't have the disposable income to afford this regardless of how much we cut back. Personally, we couldn't find $320/mo out of our budget no matter how tightly we squeezed. That's double the contribution we make to our savings each month, and that's certainly more important than having the biggest internet connection on the block!

I do pay more for an internet connection than I otherwise could, $70/mo for a business class DSL line when I could get a $40/mo residential connection, so I'm not entirely unfamiliar with the concept of prioritizing technology ahead of other needs. I'm just somewhat envious of people with $320/mo to sink into such things.

whfsdude
Premium
join:2003-04-05
Washington, DC
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 edit
reply to swintec
said by swintec:

Different strokes for different folks. Me personally, I would drive an adequate car with no monthly car payment or not smoke and go out to bars every weekend and put the money towards something like this instead.

No car payment here but about half the DC residents are car-less folks.

I also get the joy of being able to work from home some days of the week depending on if there are meetings etc..

If you want to take it a step further; working at home as much as I do reduces my commuting costs enough that the savings can be used to pay for a large part of the connection (between 100-150/mo).

Crookshanks

join:2008-02-04
Binghamton, NY
The car does kill you, that's for sure. Pick your poison between payments and heavy maintenance, unless you're in that sweet window between the two, which doesn't last long for those of us with lengthy commutes! Then there's insurance, which you have to eat regardless.

A car is a virtual necessity around these parts, alas, such is life.

JigglyWiggly

join:2009-07-12
Pleasanton, CA

2 recommendations

You're on the front page of dslreports

Also go clean your fur carpet.
Dat dirty

whfsdude
Premium
join:2003-04-05
Washington, DC

1 recommendation