This is a sub-selection from Quality TV
88615298 (banned)
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness

88615298 (banned) to AdamB0

to AdamB0

Re: Quality TV

said by AdamB0:

I guess people are just getting tired of paying so much money for a 1000 channels of bullshit like the Jersey Shore and Honey Boo Boo. I guess Americans aren't so dumb after all. The dumb ones are the old men running these companies and slow to adapt. Just let us stream everything over the internet and just the stuff we want.

You do realize they actually have to have permission by the content providers to do that and they won't allow that. I'm not sure where you think cable can just do whatever it wants to. Also how does DirecTv and Dishnetwork do the whole "steaming over the internet" stuff?

AdamB0
join:2001-01-07
Columbus, OH

AdamB0

said by 88615298:

said by AdamB0:

I guess people are just getting tired of paying so much money for a 1000 channels of bullshit like the Jersey Shore and Honey Boo Boo. I guess Americans aren't so dumb after all. The dumb ones are the old men running these companies and slow to adapt. Just let us stream everything over the internet and just the stuff we want.

You do realize they actually have to have permission by the content providers to do that and they won't allow that. I'm not sure where you think cable can just do whatever it wants to. Also how does DirecTv and Dishnetwork do the whole "steaming over the internet" stuff?

Who said anything about the cable company? Cut those greedy middlemen out. HBO let me stream your content directly and not require me to get a cable package and then your premium package. These old business models are going to bite them in the ass eventually.
CXM_Splicer
Looking at the bigger picture
Premium Member
join:2011-08-11
NYC

CXM_Splicer

Premium Member

Agreed. They served a purpose back in the day but they are no longer needed; technology is replacing them. Streaming is the future. ANY past video/program/movie on demand & live streams from the programmers. If Capitalism would stop strangling the free market, we could have this tomorrow (well, maybe by next week).

Eddy120876
join:2009-02-16
Bronx, NY

Eddy120876 to AdamB0

to AdamB0
Well the cutting the middle man is not going to work if cable operators start to bride providers like HBO. I had heard some folks want HBO to charge extra if you don't have a cable account .

SimbaSeven
I Void Warranties
join:2003-03-24
Billings, MT
·StarLink

SimbaSeven to AdamB0

to AdamB0
..or redesign the cable company to fit the 21st century.

Basically, become a dumb pipe (I know, everyone is against it.. but it is inevitable) and someone offers CATV streaming over IP to a registered device or account with a maximum of X devices per account. You could also pick which channels you'd like and switch them out when needed. You only get charged with what you actually watch instead of all the crappy shows I don't watch.

Sounds doable. It actually happening? Doubtful.
« no way to paySomeday soon? »
This is a sub-selection from Quality TV