hitachi369
Embrace Your Rights
Premium
join:2001-10-03
Grand Rapids, MI
kudos:4
reply to CylonRed

Re: House being reshingled...

Anytime I've needed to venture into the catacombs known as my attic I've just used two boards. Climb on one move the other forward repeat. It is an awful experience.

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County
Provided you can see where yo put them. Maybe the time to clean out the attic of all fo the crap while cleaning it up. Sucks the light won't be as good though....
--
Brian

"It drops into your stomach like a Abrams's tank.... driven by Rosanne Barr..." A. Bourdain

alkizmo

join:2007-06-25
Pierrefonds, QC
kudos:1
reply to hitachi369
said by hitachi369:

Anytime I've needed to venture into the catacombs known as my attic I've just used two boards. Climb on one move the other forward repeat. It is an awful experience.

Yeah, but good luck getting any decently large boards through the access hatch.

My hatch is no more than 2 feet wide.

But I agree that it's an aweful experience.
I insulated my attic over a 2 months period because I HATED going up there. I'd go 2 hours every other weekend.

averagedude

join:2002-01-30
San Diego, CA
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
said by alkizmo:

said by hitachi369:

Yeah, but good luck getting any decently large boards through the access hatch.

My hatch is no more than 2 feet wide.

But I agree that it's an aweful experience.
I insulated my attic over a 2 months period because I HATED going up there. I'd go 2 hours every other weekend.

What I did on my previous house was to install "plywood stepping stones" in the attic. I took the stepping stone approach because numerous electrical boxes and W bracing didn't allow a direct access or long boards to be installed.

I went to Home Depot and had them cut down a 3/4"x4'x8' sheet of ply wood in to 24"x24" pieces. The 24"x24 boards match my rafter spacing. I nailed the boards down so they didn't move. It was not pretty, but it was safer.

alkizmo

join:2007-06-25
Pierrefonds, QC
kudos:1
said by averagedude:

I went to Home Depot and had them cut down a 3/4"x4'x8' sheet of ply wood in to 24"x24" pieces. The 24"x24 boards match my rafter spacing. I nailed the boards down so they didn't move. It was not pretty, but it was safer.

No can do.

I have about 15" of insulation, the joists are only 2x4 (or 2x6, i forget).