uniqs
share rss forum feed

bolt17cdn
Premium
join:2011-03-03
Arnprior, ON
reply to Chrno

Re: Small Business Sever recommendations

The company is an accounting firm, so they use MS Office, Sage Simply Accounting, Intuit Quickbooks, Intuit ProFile, CaseWare, and Jazzit. None of the apps are server based, at least right now, not sure if they are capable of being hosted from a server, will need to look into it. It would mostly be used as a file server as opposed to an application server.

I would probably setup MS Exchange, as I understand it comes packaged with SBS 2011.

HarryH3
Premium
join:2005-02-21
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Suddenlink
I recently setup a doctors office with Server 2008R2, a custom SQL-based electronic health records database, and redirected all "My Documents" from the nine Windows 7 clients to folders on the server so that all important documents get backed up every night. The server is a Dell T310 with 16GB of RAM. I bumped up the Xeon processor from their "standard" selection for around $80 or so, but I can't recall the exact speed right now. It's been working great for the last 2 months and never breaks a sweat keeping up with their needs.

It's running three 2-TB drives in RAID 5 with hot swap available. I also selected the dual power supply option since this server pretty much runs their entire business. If it's down, they're basically closed. Dell also offers different pre-paid levels of onsite repair for business critical systems so you shouldn't be down for days while waiting for parts.

Also be aware that Windows Server will complain about being the only Active Directory and/or DNS server when using only a single server in a domain. You just have to ignore the errors in the Best Practices Analyzer.

bolt17cdn
Premium
join:2011-03-03
Arnprior, ON
Thanks HarryH3. the Dell PowerEdge T310 looks like a good option, the three 2TB drives in RAID 5 is what I was thinking of, and I especially like the hot swap PSU's. Definitely a peace of mind if one fails. And thanks for the heads-up on the above mentioned errors!

Office 365... Online Software Hosted in the Cloud, that's an intersting option csiemers! I hadn't even thought of that. I will have to read up on it.

norwegian
Premium
join:2005-02-15
Outback

1 edit
said by bolt17cdn:

Thanks HarryH3......
.......the three 2TB drives in RAID 5 is what I was thinking of, and I especially like the hot swap PSU's. Definitely a peace of mind if one fails.

I think the terms were "hot swap internal hard drives"......and "dual power supplies", which I'd think both supplies would still be solid mount to the chassis - to help with earth etc.

Please ignore, I was misinformed and posted incorrect information.
--
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing - Edmund Burke

HarryH3
Premium
Reviews:
·Suddenlink
said by norwegian:

said by bolt17cdn:

Thanks HarryH3......
.......the three 2TB drives in RAID 5 is what I was thinking of, and I especially like the hot swap PSU's. Definitely a peace of mind if one fails.

I think the terms were "hot swap internal hard drives"......and "dual power supplies", which I'd think both supplies would still be solid mount to the chassis - to help with earth etc.

You'd be wrong. You can hot swap the PSU's. They're mounted on slide rails. I tested it and you can indeed disconnect either power cord and the system stays running. You then push down on a small lever and pull the "dead" PSU right out the back of the server.

Enterprise servers aren't built like DIY systems. They're designed with 24/7 operation in mind. Datacenters today often have multiple virtual machines running on one server, so the impact of having a single server offline can affect a large number of customers. The Dell T310 referenced above also has dual NIC's with automatic failover in the event that one fails. At the enterprise level you'll also find cool stuff like the ability to even hot swap cards in PCI slots. Uptime is king inside a data center.

norwegian
Premium
join:2005-02-15
Outback
My apologies for getting that wrong on the power supplies. I was not aware of that specification.

Thanks for correcting me.

HarryH3
Premium
Ahh, no harm, no foul. We're all here to learn new stuff from each other. Many days it's my turn to be wrong.